Race Report: 2020 Witfontein Funduro

Christofison

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW...I really cant say how awesome this was. @Christofisen

This is real Mountain Biking! And to me as an out of towner, the experience was amplified so much more. The Videos you posted does no justice to these trails. Also, the fact that you are quite the ripper yourself hides what it really takes. 

Witfontein is a proper venue, and so refreshing to just plow straight down a mountain over rocks and loamy goodness using all of my bike in the process. Not switchback after switchback which has its merit, but the loamy confidence inspiring surface just made for such thrills.

• New trails
  • New landscape to behold
  • Different soil & terrain
  • Great people
  • Great variety of trails, I honestly didn't mind stage 3. It took skill to maintain speed but was not out of place. 
  • Although not a lot of "purely death defying GNAR" I was far happier being able to go fast over the reasonably Gnarly & proper steep stuff which actually leaves one feeling better. Testament to really great trails.

I hope you got out of it what you put in ;) Because we are going to have to come back next year and make it an annual thing. 

We need more out of town (further than 100km from Cape Town) events like this. 

*The last photo was taken from Deidre Clute's FB. I have contacted her to find out where one can get hold of the photos and pay as there are many more awesome shots with hubbers. 

Is that a "Muishond" I spot...

I am so slow.... hahahaha

That was awesome. Christo, you are a legend for putting that on.

The gees was rad. The teenage kids shreddededed so hard. It was so cool to see.

As Arnold once said, 'I'll be back'

We've taken to renaming him Huishond of late...

I thought I saw him but disappeared out of plain sight. 

Some other lizzards I spotted along the way. Nice to meet you bru. I could however not keep up on the climbs. :blush:  

post-1279-0-77367100-1601297689_thumb.jpg

I thought I saw him but disappeared out of plain sight. 

Some other lizzards I spotted along the way. Nice to meet you bru. I could however not keep up on the climbs. :blush:  

Hahahah Savage n I took a wrong turn at the bottom of stage 1 anyway and went the long way round...like twice too. So we missed out riding with more peeps and *** talking :) I mean that is the only reason for entering an enduro anyway :)

Seriously, this event had all the the makings of a legendary race.

Great - challenging trails, epic setting, nice start venue, lekker conversations, goeie gees and good logistics (shot Chris!).

The climb to 5 was a royal beatdown - like being bodyslammed by hulk hogan... a few times. I reckon 4 should have been the final stage with 5 moved forward to 3 and 3 to 4, meaning the last climb is not SO rough.  But really - that's just nitpicking.  By the last climb I was bleeding from my eyes and my legs had the Demogorgon visibly moving under my skin. Thanks to my riding partner Bos to keep me going and Pottie for pretending to be slightly tired...it got me to the top.

That rock chute was fantastic - and I don't want to ride it again this year.

So what you're saying is ... the climbing was almost enough :)

We're too spoilt in CT man, only Jonkers is a killer. Well, Helderberg would have been too.I'll harass Harry about trying making the other EWC  events longer/bigger.

Seriously, this event had all the the makings of a legendary race.

Great - challenging trails, epic setting, nice start venue, lekker conversations, goeie gees and good logistics (shot Chris!).

The climb to 5 was a royal beatdown - like being bodyslammed by hulk hogan... a few times. I reckon 4 should have been the final stage with 5 moved forward to 3 and 3 to 4, meaning the last climb is not SO rough.  But really - that's just nitpicking.  By the last climb I was bleeding from my eyes and my legs had the Demogorgon visibly moving under my skin. Thanks to my riding partner Bos to keep me going and Pottie for pretending to be slightly tired...it got me to the top.

That rock chute was fantastic - and I don't want to ride it again this year.

Glad you guys all enjoyed it. Everyone's stoke was well worth all of the effort. Moving 5 to 3 would have meant 8km of extra transfer distance and logistical issues with the limited number of timers/the Lite category needing to include stage 3. Just get fitter for the next one  :whistling:  haha

WOW...I really cant say how awesome this was. @Christofisen

This is real Mountain Biking! And to me as an out of towner, the experience was amplified so much more. The Videos you posted does no justice to these trails. Also, the fact that you are quite the ripper yourself hides what it really takes. 

Witfontein is a proper venue, and so refreshing to just plow straight down a mountain over rocks and loamy goodness using all of my bike in the process. Not switchback after switchback which has its merit, but the loamy confidence inspiring surface just made for such thrills.

• New trails
  • New landscape to behold
  • Different soil & terrain
  • Great people
  • Great variety of trails, I honestly didn't mind stage 3. It took skill to maintain speed but was not out of place. 
  • Although not a lot of "purely death defying GNAR" I was far happier being able to go fast over the reasonably Gnarly & proper steep stuff which actually leaves one feeling better. Testament to really great trails.

I hope you got out of it what you put in ;) Because we are going to have to come back next year and make it an annual thing. 

We need more out of town (further than 100km from Cape Town) events like this. 

*The last photo was taken from Deidre Clute's FB. I have contacted her to find out where one can get hold of the photos and pay as there are many more awesome shots with hubbers. 

We're stoked that we had the opportunity to share our loam with so many 'Witfontein virgins'.

Here's a link to Deidre Cloete's Facebook page, where she shares pretty much all the photos she takes: https://www.facebook.com/dkachelhoffer She doesn't sell them, for some reason.

So what you're saying is ... the climbing was almost enough :)

We're too spoilt in CT man, only Jonkers is a killer. Well, Helderberg would have been too.I'll harass Harry about trying making the other EWC  events longer/bigger.

Helderberg is only 550m-ish from Hanger to the tower... I would have to do this 3 times in one go to re-ride Saturday...

Once you have a kid or two, you don't have that kind of time anymore. dadbod and dadfitness is a real thing.

Helderberg is only 550m-ish from Hanger to the tower... I would have to do this 3 times in one go to re-ride Saturday...

Once you have a kid or two, you don't have that kind of time anymore. dadbod and dadfitness is a real thing

pfffft, having a kid is no excuse. Otherwise the dirt roadents out Tygerberg side couldn't train for their 1300m climbing on Wines2Whales  ;)

We're stoked that we had the opportunity to share our loam with so many 'Witfontein virgins'.

Here's a link to Deidre Cloete's Facebook page, where she shares pretty much all the photos she takes: https://www.facebook.com/dkachelhoffer She doesn't sell them, for some reason.

Not a complete Virgin. but you can put me in there :P 

Silly thing is the last ride there I did ACDC, which is where I took a wrong turn! If you check Deidre's pics, you'll see everyone came down that rock step, then there's Bos, who comes from the left  :lol:

Yes, Deidre just asked which Photos I'd want copies of. You should ask Nick to do a proper race review with some of her photos on here so it lives for years to come. 

Don't worry Bos, I practiced it on Friday evening in the wet, got it smooth, then took 2 wrong turns and a tumble in the 25m section on ACDC! hahaha

Some fun pictures... To be fair the climbing was pretty easy going. 

It is good gradient to effort gain and the gradient gain is well worth it. The different nature of the every stage was perfect. 

Stage 3 was killer. 

I love steeps so 4 and 5 had me jizzing all over my pants. I'd ride that top section from Cross to road all day if it was a local Cape Trail.