Saddlebag Alternatives

slickjay007

There we go. just made it before i ran out of hydration. :)

Gp500 is 10.66kg without pedals.

Bottles and all bits on mine comes in at 16kg

add the lockdown weight gain...........

Cajees and Decathlon. I like this guy :thumbup:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it.

I found a new spot for that yesterday. It was indeed delicious. Some cafe in Beyers Park.

And when you are finished you wipe your hands clean on your chain ... you clean your hands off and lube the chain at the same time ... win win :P

You know it.

I found a new spot for that yesterday. It was indeed delicious. Some cafe in Beyers Park.

please tell me more

Land Rover owner or former Land Rover owner. The fear of breaking down never leaves you… ;-)

Once owned a BMW that under motorplan needed R110k in repairs in 10 months. The fear of it breaking down was very real.

Land Rover owner or former Land Rover owner. The fear of breaking down never leaves you… ;-)

This is relatable... The other day I helped push start a taxi in Noordhoek - you never know when you will need the favor returned with a Defender

AS it so happens had a chance to use something of my bike today to help a gentleman out that was stuck.

Flat fixed and he left all smiles.

So happy days.

What does make me sad is we had 3 -4 groups of cyclist pass and not one asked if we were ok, needed help or just greeted us. But guess it is what it is.

So a question.

why don't cyclist stop to help out other cyclists? even the comuters kind?

I guess it is a generalization, but see it a lot. a group riding past and not even just offering a word or help?

Edited by Spy007

So a question.

why don't cyclist stop to help out other cyclists? even the comuters kind?

I guess it is a generalization, but see it a lot. a group riding past and not even just offering a word or help?

I find that many will enquire/show interest if you are alone.

When there are two or more, they assume you'll manage.

So I've finally got my onboard storage sorted...

First off, Silverback Stratos, but spez saddle so it's got the swat mounts on the back of it.

So, spez Bandit strap on the saddle, holding tyre lever, shred Zeppelin (holding two extra valves and the snot plugs). Doubles as valve core tool, inflator, and plug injector. Spare tube, spez tube so it wraps up smaller. Wrapped into the tube is a spare hanger.

Then I also went with the spez Concealed Carry tool. So that's spare link holder, chain breaker, and multi tool all stored in the steerer. I wanted to go with the one up system, but after all the additional costs with top caps, and threading tools, it just ended up being about double the price of the Spez CC tool...

So all I carry in my pockets now is cellphone, car keys, and two bombs in a small sleeve made from a cut of inner tube to stop rattling. I figure, one bomb to try fix it, account for getting it wrong, and then another to actually get it right.

Somehow I do think a pump would be a great add on somewhere, and maybe a bottle cage mount type one can come along at some point, but not right now...

So I've finally got my onboard storage sorted...

First off, Silverback Stratos, but spez saddle so it's got the swat mounts on the back of it.

So, spez Bandit strap on the saddle, holding tyre lever, shred Zeppelin (holding two extra valves and the snot plugs). Doubles as valve core tool, inflator, and plug injector. Spare tube, spez tube so it wraps up smaller. Wrapped into the tube is a spare hanger.

Then I also went with the spez Concealed Carry tool. So that's spare link holder, chain breaker, and multi tool all stored in the steerer. I wanted to go with the one up system, but after all the additional costs with top caps, and threading tools, it just ended up being about double the price of the Spez CC tool...

So all I carry in my pockets now is cellphone, car keys, and two bombs in a small sleeve made from a cut of inner tube to stop rattling. I figure, one bomb to try fix it, account for getting it wrong, and then another to actually get it right.

Somehow I do think a pump would be a great add on somewhere, and maybe a bottle cage mount type one can come along at some point, but not right now...

Seen too many riders stranded after failing with bombs and not carrying a pump. The way I see it, pump first and bomb second in terms of practical usage. Bottle cage mounted type works well, and bonus points if you buy a double action pump.

Seen too many riders stranded after failing with bombs and not carrying a pump. The way I see it, pump first and bomb second in terms of practical usage. Bottle cage mounted type works well, and bonus points if you buy a double action pump.

Yeah for sure... I've been there myself after my old inflator failed... It's really no fun. I just absolutely hate the look of a pump on a bottle cage or strapped to the frame... But I'll figure it out...

Yeah for sure... I've been there myself after my old inflator failed... It's really no fun. I just absolutely hate the look of a pump on a bottle cage or strapped to the frame... But I'll figure it out...

Syncros has a super small double action pump.

You could even keep it in your back pocket ....

Syncros has a super small double action pump.

You could even keep it in your back pocket ....

2 water bottles in the frame, 1 x tube, mini pump, some self adhesive patches and levers, in the middle jersey back pocket, food in the right, and phone with Uber App in the left is all you need as a roadie. Edited by Patchelicious

Had to use my mini pump last weekend and again I was reminded exactly what a piece of garbage it was. Bombed the wheel and off we went.

Bought a OneUp 100cc pump during the week and used it this morning to top up the lady’s wheels. What a machine! This pump is worth it’s weight in gold.

Now I agree 100%. Pump first and bomb only in extreme situations.