Black Friday 2020?

Psyrax

You'd be surprised. I thought it was just going box ticking exercise when I went to get a new TV last weekend. I thought I could just pass it off as a 'monitor' and not have to get a TV licence. I've never had one previously due to bringing a lot of my home stuff from France when I moved here and then insurance replacing that TV and so on. Turns out they wouldn't sell me one without a licence. I took my moms back to the store but that was an issue and then I had to go and buy one for myself. Honestly I thought it was an expensive thing that would take loads of time but it was about R250, took less than 5 minutes online and it was done. Considering the TV was R8999 and I'd got a R950 discount I did feel a bit of an idiot. 

It really is a small amount .... just dont be tempted to let it slide next year !!

That TV-license is now TIED to you for the rest of your life ... actually it is litterally tied to your estate .... JIP !!

As for buying a TV with\without a license .... I have had some interesting experiences over the years.  Walked into a speciality store to buy a big-screen they had on special, with a wad of cash (wallet was buldging with the small denomination notes ..... Salesman started asking for the license, noted the wallet and stopped mid-sentence .... was actually funny, as I did have a license with me.  Few years later I bought a tv from one of the big retail stores.  NO WAY - had to drive home to collect the license (that was when we still got a physical license document, now they use your ID to check online).   Bought another tv last year, from a audio-visual store I have supported over the years,  salesman just laughed and did not check if I had a license ....

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How old is this TV haha?

Shouldn't be a hassle, they just require one. Not sure if the stores do any checking whatsoever, think it's just a legal box they tick.

8 years. I bought it in 2012, just before getting married. I only moved out 3 months before getting married. I had a fully furnished flat at my folks place that I stayed in when I moved out of my room in the main house. But it was more because I worked shifts and it was easier to come home in the middle of the night and go to the flat than into the house. Also then when everyone else got up and went to work at normal times they never woke me up. Now my Dad has turned it into a gym/man cave and this is where the TV I am borrowing now comes from.

• 2 months later...

Being relatively new to cycling I am wondering which kit distributors I should be heading towards for Black Friday deals. Are there any stores, either online or in person that usually offer great deals for black Friday? 

Looking to stock up on bibs and shirts. 

Being relatively new to cycling I am wondering which kit distributors I should be heading towards for Black Friday deals. Are there any stores, either online or in person that usually offer great deals for black Friday? 

what ever you buy, were ever you buy from, just make sure you know the normal retail prices before the advertised "specials". It happens way to often that the specials are not actually that special, I've seen black friday deals being advertised that are more expensive than normal run of the mil specials that get run.

I bought a Stages powermeter from CWC last year, a few months later I could see the same being sold used on the hub for more than I paid for mine...

Unfortunately they don't seem to be selling them anymore this year, because I wouldn't mind getting one for my scalpel but not at retail price...

@Sid I'd be you I would look for specials on Assos bibs at CWC, sometimes they drop the prices quite a lot. The rest (Ciovita, castelli) are often fake discounts... The official Castelli store is selling stuff "on sale" that you can find at the same price elsewhere, not on sale.

regarding kits, they also have in store a "make us an offer" area... maybe you can get something cheap there... I don't know... I've seen a nice cannondale kit that I'd love to wear on the MTB, but the price tag is so high, even if I offered them -50% it'd still be too much for me, and I kind of feel bad offering less than that... on the other hand it's still there after weeks so.... :D

I noticed Game and Makro are having a black friday month. Am curious to know whether we will even see a black friday this year, given the covid crisis. Wouldn't that be a little irresponsible of the retailers to cram so many people into their stores for one day?

Ouzo is CORRECT.

Had a look at a few online sites now .... the words "Black Friday" appear next to many items that are no cheaper than last week ... even a Garmin watch for R3k Which costs R 2,5k at SportsmansWarehouse !

If you find something you like ... do a quick google ... check that item against the other online stores !!

Yes, there will be the odd real sale item .... but mostly just lots of "overpriced marketing" ....

Edited by ChrisF

Ouzo is CORRECT.

Had a look at a few online sites now .... the words "Black Friday" appear next to many items that are no cheaper than last week ... even a Garmin watch for R3k Which costs R 2,5k at SportsmansWarehouse !

If you find something you like ... do a quick google ... check that item against the other online stores !!

Yes, there will be the odd real sale item .... but mostly just lots of "overpriced marketing" ....

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep an eye out. I really just need some more kit, doing a big week between two bibs requires far too much brainpower for me

Should add one note though ....

CAREFUL of low prices at BikeAddict .... they got a bad reputation for selling items without having stock .... just check stock before checking out ...

In all fairness, similar statements have been leveled against various other online stores after lockdown ....

Wondering to what extent stock levels have been replenished .....

My GUESS .... going to be very limited quantities of Black Friday special items ...

Edited by ChrisF

very disappointed so far, didn't find anything that I was waiting to find cheaper for blackfriday...

after covid and sparse parts / bike goodies I can not foresee a spectacular Black Friday ... I am sure there will be lots of stuff people do not really want though

Should add one note though ....

CAREFUL of low prices at BikeAddict .... they got a bad reputation for selling items without having stock .... just check stock before checking out ...

In all fairness, similar statements have been leveled against various other online stores after lockdown ....

Wondering to what extent stock levels have been replenished .....

My GUESS .... going to be very limited quantities of Black Friday special items ...

100% agreed!

I bought a bike from them in Dec 2018. I had to go with my third choice as all other were out of stock or they did not have my size. Recently I added items to a basket and requested a quote on 14 November. Until today I have not received a single response. Happened the previous time as well, however, previously they replied in about 10 days and the majority of what I wanted was out of stock. Replied to their mail and never received a response again. Needless to say they no longer have my support due to the poor customer service, lack of response and always being out of stock on everything.

On a different note, luckily I bought my new bike a week ago and got it cheaper than any black friday deal, and just before there was a massive price increase on it.

Also managed to get a platform carrier at 20% / R1,000 off which I am happy about.

Generally I just feel that black friday sucks this year. I am not surprised as imports and the exchange rate have been an issue with this covid crap. Worldwide shortages. No wonder you cannot find a decent deal, there is nothing or not enough to provide decent deals.

My purchases last year on buycylce.co.za :

post-83519-0-80210900-1606248016_thumb.jpg

Think I did good  :ph34r:

I've seen some decent specials from them this year - sign up for their newsletter

Edited by Muttley