USA Hubbers

Allrounder

Based on several other forums, on the hub, I though I USA specific on would be handy. 

For the guys on that side, please post about your experiences, getting ready and living there. 

And then for the actual reason, some of us might need information and or guidance.  

USA specific, or Norther America in general?

There is a Canada thread, but it's not very lively (maybe I should contribute more to get some interest)

I'm in the process of getting my Green Card.

Reached step two a week ago, took 8 months - which is really not bad considering I thought it would be 12 - 18 months wait.

We have no plans yet to move there, there are other places in the world we're trying for first, but it'll be nice to have for one day...

USA specific, or Norther America in general?

There is a Canada thread, but it's not very lively (maybe I should contribute more to get some interest)

Not if you are going to carry on about the flippen classified comments

I'm in the process of getting my Green Card.

Reached step two a week ago, took 8 months - which is really not bad considering I thought it would be 12 - 18 months wait.

We have no plans yet to move there, there are other places in the world we're trying for first, but it'll be nice to have for one day...

Please tell me more? How what where based on? All those things.

My wife is a US citizen, but she's been living in SA for 8 years now.

Funnily enough she's busy trying to get her SA perm resident stamp while I'm trying to get the US one. Luckily spousal green cards are (I think) the only ones that the Trump team are allowing to be processed at the moment, so that's a small win.

We're both a bit tired of SA so looking more seriously overseas. (unfortunately covid has made foreign job-hunting pretty impossible though so our next move is quite uncertain)

My wife is a US citizen, but she's been living in SA for 8 years now.

Funnily enough she's busy trying to get her SA perm resident stamp while I'm trying to get the US one. Luckily spousal green cards are (I think) the only ones that the Trump team are allowing to be processed at the moment, so that's a small win.

We're both a bit tired of SA so looking more seriously overseas. (unfortunately covid has made foreign job-hunting pretty impossible though so our next move is quite uncertain)

Yes indeed. Between COVID and brexit we are properly screwed.

I saw last night that i can apply for a green card if i go back to teaching.

Not if you are going to carry on about the flippen classified comments

Wow really - what does the comments in the classifieds have to do with this?

I ask another hubber a question, to see if I could add some value. Your brainless comment has no place here.

If you don't like the the thread regarding comments on classified, just don't read it.

I have heard tales that even with a Green card, starting up from scratch in the US is hard, and with multiple Catch-22's.

I.e. No-one will rent you a place if you have no credit history, bank account, drivers license, local ID etc. Can't get a drivers license if you don't have an address. Can't get a bank account without an address and drivers etc....

To be fair these applied equally to my move to Australia, but I understand that the US is fundamentally more xenophobic in nature (generalisation alert), and people are less willing to be flexible for mere Green card holders.

My sister in law won a Green card lottery a long time back and went to LA, but she had already moved to Canada as a temporary migrant, and so had credit cards, history and bank accounts that were locally recognised. 

I gather these are issues that can be resolved, they just wear you down right at the start of the adventure.

I have heard tales that even with a Green card, starting up from scratch in the US is hard, and with multiple Catch-22's.

I.e. No-one will rent you a place if you have no credit history, bank account, drivers license, local ID etc. Can't get a drivers license if you don't have an address. Can't get a bank account without an address and drivers etc....

To be fair these applied equally to my move to Australia, but I understand that the US is fundamentally more xenophobic in nature (generalisation alert), and people are less willing to be flexible for mere Green card holders.

My sister in law won a Green card lottery a long time back and went to LA, but she had already moved to Canada as a temporary migrant, and so had credit cards, history and bank accounts that were locally recognised. 

I gather these are issues that can be resolved, they just wear you down right at the start of the adventure.

Reminds me of this.