Thinking about an eBike purchase

aquaratza

You're right they are. Wow, then they are even worse than I thought.

This is the 2016 version though, don't know if they have gotten better over time? Comparing them to 2 piston Shimano Deore brakes they are bad... comparing them to 2 piston and 4 piston Formula Curas they are terrible. Second time I have ridden a bike with Guides, and both times I thought they have no stopping power.

Anyay, don't wanna derail the thread. Point I was trying to make is, if you are buying an ebike, make sure it has decent brakes. An extra 15kg over a normal bike makes a difference when trying to stop.

Worth checking if the brakes glazed ....

Giant dealer had multiple attempts at sorting out the brakes on my bike .... lever FIRM, but it just would not slow down like a 4 pod system should ....

Took it to Marks Workshop. New pad, scoured the disc, then rode the bike and made sure to bed in the brakes properly .... bike stops properly again :)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To rub some serious salt in raw wounds .....  :whistling:

I have a buddy that is considering buying an e-bike .... to keep up with his wife, on her normal bike .... I KNOW that with my ebike on full boost I will run out of BOTH batteries long before she runs out of steam !!

we are such a silly bunch with our pre-conceived ideas .....  :oops:   :devil:

Sounds like my situation

I borrowed an ebike again last night (mine in for some warranty issues).

Reminded me how fun these things are. But you really have to ride with other people that are on ebikes otherwise you are getting zero exercise. I rode Helderberg with a bunch of very fit guys and they were hammering it. I didn't even break a sweat and that was on 20% assist the whole way.

One thing though - manufacturers really need to spec good brakes. On this Levo there are Guides with 200mm rotors front and rear. Felt like a bloody death trap, I pulled the brakes and absolutely nothing happens. These things need 4 pot brakes as standard - good to see the new ones are coming out with it. And to be fair, I think even good old 2 pot Deores would stop better than those Guides. It was quite interesting descending Helderberg in the dark, on a heavy ebike with crappy brakes that were the wrong way around for me, with a short travel dropper post - not something I am going to do again.

Anyway, I can see myself owning an ebike as a second bike in the near future. Especially if my little one is interested in sitting on one of those yellow seats on the top tube. But one thing is for certain, however fun these things are - I like pedaling a bike with my own steam, it could never replace my normal bike, and definitely won't be a primary bike for me. 

You can go with zero assist and sweat as much as you like.... ? 

We have a chap who rides with us, he's got motor off for the first 90min or so and then as he starts to fade he dials in some help. Some days more than others, but he's always with the group. 

There used to be another guy we rode with, he used to ride to the start point with assistance. Ride with us with motor off and then ride back home at max assist.

I get judged by people like you regularly

I am in my forties and did the ironman and joberg2c shortly before my heart packed up and had to have 2 surgeries and a defibrillator put in ..... the point being that I look perfectly fit and healthy (if I may say so myself :)  ).

Generally I just try ignore these type of comments and attitude .... but it does get to me!!

Just turn the assist up a little more and leave the haters in the dust.

Worth checking if the brakes glazed ....

Giant dealer had multiple attempts at sorting out the brakes on my bike .... lever FIRM, but it just would not slow down like a 4 pod system should ....

Took it to Marks Workshop. New pad, scoured the disc, then rode the bike and made sure to bed in the brakes properly .... bike stops properly again :)

Nope, just terrible brakes haha Edited by Grease_Monkey

We have a chap who rides with us, he's got motor off for the first 90min or so and then as he starts to fade he dials in some help. Some days more than others, but he's always with the group.

There used to be another guy we rode with, he used to ride to the start point with assistance. Ride with us with motor off and then ride back home at max assist.

Haha, I would not have kept up. I struggle to keep up with that group on my normal bike, they are that level of fit where a comfortable pace for them is a hard one for me. Great for my fitness. Anyway, not complaining, it was nice no to break myself on Helderberg for once.

All I am trying to say - ebikes even at low levels of assistance are way faster than normal bikes. Especially on steep stuff.

Guys that can ride ebikes off are machine though. This one I had is an early gen alu levo - near 30kg and there is a fair bit of resistance from the motor when it is off.

Anyway, I am returning it tomorrow. My bike will be working again...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Haha, I would not have kept up. I struggle to keep up with that group on my normal bike, they are that level of fit where a comfortable pace for them is a hard one for me. Great for my fitness. Anyway, not complaining, it was nice no to break myself on Helderberg for once.

All I am trying to say - ebikes even at low levels of assistance are way faster than normal bikes. Especially on steep stuff.

Guys that can ride ebikes off are machine though. This one I had is an early gen alu levo - near 30kg and there is a fair bit of resistance from the motor when it is off.

I hear you. And agree that when mixing bike and eBike there is a more complicated dynamic that needs to be taken care of. I’m not experienced at this situation on MTB’s as only been on Road bikes in my examples above so might be easier to manage and the new eBikes on the road roll quite nicely with motor off (the ones I have been with).

Enjoy your bike ones it returns!

The new Gen 3 has micro tune which is great in situations when riding with analog bikes. One can easily adjust the level of support (within the mode) on the fly and hence match effort quite easily.

Have a go a tight twisty trails on the ebike before handing it back ....

You know how much power you put down out of a slow turn, and your speed at the next obstacle some two or three pedal strokes away ....

Now try this same on an ebike ... WOW !! The acceleration is immediate and it is easy to arive at the obstacle too fast ....

Edited by ChrisF

Help me understand? I ride for fitness and social. I'm not planning on getting rid of my existing bike, I just figure I should have the option of joining eBike rides and be able to keep up.

Don't be a P03SSY.

Just get stronger and fitter and ride your bike with him.

What is he going to do when there is load-shedding?

Maybe he fades because he rides 90min with a bike that weighs double (if not triple )what his mates' bikes weigh

Does it say 'guide' on the caliper ?

Might be level calipers bled onto guide levers

Definitely guide calipers and levers.

If it is Guide R or RE levers I can understand the shocking brake performance, they are crappy, my previous bike had Guide R on it, they were terrible, swapped to RS levers and it made a substantial improvement to the braking performance, as far as I remember Guide calipers are all the same, all the "magic" happens in the levers

just putting it out there: Chilled Squirrel (Cape Town, but they collect and delv=iver Nationally) is having a bit of a special on RETRO-FITTING non E-bikes to an e-Bike - I did mine 5+ years back with very good results indeed.

I hold no 'brief' for them, but received a newsletter from them this morning, with THIS special; use it/dont use it!

MAY 2021 SPECIAL BDAY PROMOTION Take advantage of our 8th Birthday Celebration Promotion this month ! We are happy to offer you:
  • Nationwide Free Delivery to/from your Home / Office / Farm ( we will pick your bike up and deliver it back to you Free of charge )
  • Conversion Includes Front USB rechargeable LED Lights on your bike ( see here )
  • Conversion Includes Rear USB rechargeable LED Lights ( see here )
  • Conversion includes an adjustable Kickstand ( see here )

If it is Guide R or RE levers I can understand the shocking brake performance, they are crappy, my previous bike had Guide R on it, they were terrible, swapped to RS levers and it made a substantial improvement to the braking performance, as far as I remember Guide calipers are all the same, all the "magic" happens in the levers

Yeah i also thought they were all the same and diff comes in from the levers

Obviously not since grease monkey is sure his are two pot

2 pot calipers and those d0gsh#t bottom of the range guide levers makes the terrible brake performance kinda expected