Nic Bester attacked while training.

gummibear

I got driven off my bike on wednesday morning on the R304 outsode stellenbosch by 4 blacks. Car broke my bike under me. Fell. 2 got out with pangas and wanted my phome and cash. Wasnt interested in my bike after seeing how totalled it was. I am going to carry my 9mm in future. Its not always about what they want. Sometimes you need to be able to defend yourself. Next time its maybe when i have my family with me. And ill do what i need to to protect them.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that he was carrying a pistol on him which was also taken. While I completely agree that there's no justification to ever beat someone like this and what happened to him is absolutely awful, there's seemingly a correlation between resistance and damage inflicted.

With the recent jump in bikejackings and stories related to them it seems to be the case that when you give up your bike without resistance and just run away everybody gets away unscathed (physically at least).

If you're carrying a gun you're in the mindset that you will defend yourself and your possessions.

As an anti-gun person I may be biased and may be lambasted for this, but I don't see any reason I would ever want to fight for my bike. Hell, I'd help the thief with a mini bike set up to make sure he can ride alway comfortably. No material possession is worth your life.

I'm also sure that there are many instances where people have given up their bikes and have still been hurt. I'm commenting on the general trend of resistance vs damage.

With that being said, and the can of worms officially opened, I hope he makes a full recovery and that he returns do doing what he loves.

Tyronlab 

No bike involved he was running. I do not agree with your anti gun stance. You carry a gun to protect your and other peoples life's. The FCA is clear it is unlawful to protect your assets with a firearm but it is lawful to protect your life.

I am going to carry my 9mm in future. Its not always about what they want. Sometimes you need to be able to defend yourself.

How you planning to carry a pistol on a bike?Leg holster?Shoulder holster?

I got driven off my bike on wednesday morning on the R304 outsode stellenbosch by 4 blacks. Car broke my bike under me. Fell. 2 got out with pangas and wanted my phome and cash. Wasnt interested in my bike after seeing how totalled it was. I am going to carry my 9mm in future. Its not always about what they want. Sometimes you need to be able to defend yourself. Next time its maybe when i have my family with me. And ill do what i need to to protect them.

Bro.... That 1st sentence makes me cringe. 

I'm sorry you were mugged, that is terrible, but wow....

Got to say the day I feel like I should carry a gun when I go for a ride I'd rather stick to killarney rides or tygerberg trails.

But with all these incidents happening I do feel closer and closer to that mindset unfortunately... 99% of my rides I am alone, the rest we are two max three, I don't really enjoy riding in big groups so it is only a matter of time before something happens....

Edited by Jbr

Getting a velcro stretch belt. Belly band. Gun will sit on my stomach. One zip down and i can pull it out. Blank one up so no shooting my d#!@ off by mistake.

Got to say the day I feel like I should carry a gun when I go for a ride I'd rather stick to killarney rides or tygerberg trails.

But with all these incidents happening I do feel closer and closer to that mindset unfortunately... 99% of my rides I am alone, the rest we are two max three, I don't really enjoy riding in big groups so it is only a matter of time before something happens....

Same here. Hence my options

I'm not 100% sure why the ethnicity needs to be highlighted in that way?

I was driven off the road today by for men? I was driven off the road teday by 4 criminals? I was driven off the road today by 4 really dodgy guys?

I dunno... It seems a bit 1980's

I call a spade a spade. Look at the stats......

I call a spade a spade. Look at the stats......

Sure... But if you can't see you're dehumanizing and being racist then it just shows how broken things are.

Anyway, I'm out. This is pointless.

You do you and I hope you aren't shot with your own gun. I also hope no one removes your gun from you and commits other horrendous criminal acts with it.

Sure... But if you can't see you're dehumanizing and being racist then it just shows how broken things are.

I don't really agree with that, it's a fact. I had my phone stolen out of my hand walking on the street a few weeks ago, and when I made my statement at the police I was asked which race the alleged perpetrator was. if it was a white guy, or an Indian guy, or an Asian guy, I would still have been required to give the race, unless I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I'm out. This is pointless.

You do you and I hope you aren't shot with your own gun. I also hope no one removes your gun from you and commits other horrendous criminal acts with it.

Damn right things are broken. No point in pussyfooting around the facts.

Edited by varkie2

Having served and done my time in the forces and being the owner of (sporting / hunting) firearms the idea of riding with a side arm and thinking you could react fast enough in an ambush situation is ridiculous. Even highly trained personal freeze or are overcome very quickly in an active situation where   there is one and only focus. Training for professionals has to be constant and rigourous. Being on a bike, clipped in? Not a chance. You'll be very lucky if you don't have your weapon used against you.

Even if you see a couple of people you think of as 'bad guys' 50 meters out you then have to do a risk assessment and take proactive decisions to elevate the situation to a lethal footing. That is a big decision for a normal person and if you act in the wrong way, without strong cause, there will be chances for fatalities and long lasting repercussions across many lives. Even in a combat situation there are rules and repercussions. It's lives, not movies and you have to be utterly responsible for your actions. 

In any situation you look to defuse and extract with the smallest of incidents. If there is a person who wants something and you can close the threat off by complying then that is the option. If possible I'd rather give away a bike than a firearm. The reports are not conclusive as to if there was a firearm taken but if there was then that is another weapon in society and there will incidents linked directly to that. 

I'll caveat my comments above by saying that I am a gun owner and having access to any firearm comes with big responsibility. After all my experience it's simple, a pistol is not a close quarters weapon and in almost every case. In semi trained hands, the outcome will be not be good. I would not carry a weapon during any recreational activity in a public situation. There is a big difference between what people think they can do in a moment and what they are actually capable of.

I think what happened to him was disgusting and hope the assailants are found and punished asap. I hope he recovers well and can get back to a normal life despite this. Trauma after such an event will be large despite what the victim says and guys are terrible at dealing with aftereffects. I've seen too many lives blighted by thinking they have it under control and not. Thoughts go to Nick and his family. 

I'm not 100% sure why the ethnicity needs to be highlighted in that way?

I was driven off the road today by for men? I was driven off the road teday by 4 criminals? I was driven off the road today by 4 really dodgy guys?

I dunno... It seems a bit 1980's

They weren’t white,Asian or pink but black and that’s a fact.

I all the years on here I haven’t once read of a cyclist attacked and robbed by white suspects.

Amazing how people here are making comments assuming he was cycling ? He wasn't cycling, and it was never mentioned in any reports that he was cycling.