Pyga Hyrax

StevieG

There is a really nice Hyrax on sale at Sprocket & Jack by Rosebank. I believe it is Grant's personal bike. 

I was on a rigid ss for 7 years before I bought my new bike. I was getting a bit more adventurous wrt riding and wanted something burly.

I got a 170mm/165mm bike with long, low and slack geo. I knew it was going to make a difference to my riding but it has given me so much confidence and joy that I don’t regret it for a second.

Get the bike man.

How did that affect your climbs, or was that a non issue because the downhills were so much more fun? The terrain here has lots of hills, so climbing is a bit tough at times, but nothing I can't handle currently on my XC

I went from a 100mm carbon Scott Spark to a Pyga Pascoe 140. It was probably one of the best MTB moves I have ever made.

The 100mm XC scene just wasn't for me and I adjusted very easily to having more travel on hand. To be honest the only real adjusting I needed was that I could hit way bigger features with much more confidence than I ever could on the Spark. I should mention that the slacker head tube angle took a bit of getting used to, you will need to learn how to weight the front wheel a bit more in corners sometimes.

Kiss those Uphill PR's goodbye though. These bikes ride uphills totally fine, but they are made for descending, not beating your buddies to the top of the hill. That said, the extra weight never really bothered me, and I'm probably fitter now because of it. 

I eventually cracked my Pascoe frame, but the Pyga guys sorted me out with a new frame in about two weeks. I believe the welding done on the new alloy frames is better now and the warranty can be extented to 5 years ( at which point you'll probably want a different bike anyway). The actual frame material doesn't really mean that much to me in the trail/enduro realm, rather buy the bike that feels right from a manufacturer that you know won't be looking for excuses when the day comes that something breaks.

I suggest you give the Hyrax a test ride. I test rode one not too long ago and found it just didn't feel right for me, so I went with another bike. But hey, that's only me, and I know that lots of people love the new Pygas.

If you rode any of the blue trails at Thaba on a rigid ss and didn't walk 99% of them you're a ******* monster that deserves a free beer at every bar he ever visits.

Do share more detail about this experience?

He rode Thaba on his dualie

How did that affect your climbs, or was that a non issue because the downhills were so much more fun? The terrain here has lots of hills, so climbing is a bit tough at times, but nothing I can't handle currently on my XC

You don't buy a long travel Enduro bike if climbing fast matters to you at all. The new Enduro bikes imb comfortably, but not fast. If you want a bike that can climb and descend well look at the new breek of "downcountry bikes" or trail bikes. 120 - 140 travel witj progressive geometry.

Haven't bought one yet, but have had the 110, 120, Max and Zero.. Still have the last two.

Hyrax is definitely on my Next List if I don't get an ebike.... Short and sweet if you want to bomb down trails with a big smile on your face it should definitely be one of your first choices.

With regards climbing, short stem - longer travel bikes often have the front wheel in the air, doesn't matter what you buy. It has never really bothered me, as I'm not a podium contender.

Being up in KZN is also a bonus, as you can get lots of advice from the Pyga guys, and also join them for skills sessions..

Tom

Howdy everyone. Thought maybe I could get some feedback from owners of this bike. It's on my shortlist for a new Dual Sus. Hoping to get a demo ride soon enough, but the whole aluminium vs carbon thing bugs me. The price seems quite high for an alu frame, but I'm torn between wheather to possibly look elsewhere for carbon instead, or is that a debate not worth getting into?

Currently on a cannondale with 100mm of travel, so looking forward to seeing how a burlier bike like this will handle my local trails here in Ballito. Starting to get into jumping more, and loving the fast technical descents more and more. Internet reviews seem good, but would love to get some more personal feedback

Howdy everyone. Thought maybe I could get some feedback from owners of this bike. It's on my shortlist for a new Dual Sus. Hoping to get a demo ride soon enough, but the whole aluminium vs carbon thing bugs me. The price seems quite high for an alu frame, but I'm torn between wheather to possibly look elsewhere for carbon instead, or is that a debate not worth getting into?

Currently on a cannondale with 100mm of travel, so looking forward to seeing how a burlier bike like this will handle my local trails here in Ballito. Starting to get into jumping more, and loving the fast technical descents more and more. Internet reviews seem good, but would love to get some more personal feedback

PM me if you haven't had a chance to ride a Hyrax. I'm in Ballito and I have a large. Not my only bike, but we can talk. Very impressive bike, even racing the Epics on the Holla sandflats.

Do share more detail about this experience?

Piet arrived at Thaba with a bit too much coffee in his belly and for his first ride on his rebuilt GG. The rocks were cruel to him and about halfway up the Yeeha trail he tasted all the coffee again. After that his pedal started falling out of the crank and he had to bail

PM me if you haven't had a chance to ride a Hyrax. I'm in Ballito and I have a large. Not my only bike, but we can talk. Very impressive bike, even racing the Epics on the Holla sandflats.

Thanks bud, sent you a PM

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 3:03 PM, StevieG said:

Thanks bud, sent you a PM

What was your decision on this? I recently bought a Hyrax and can give you my two cents if you're still looking...

I've been on a XL hyrax for the last year. One of the best bikes I've ridden. Climbs super efficient in a comfortable upright position. Unbelievably well balanced on the down. Eats those rocks. Especially with the coilshock rear. Only reason I'm selling the frame soon is for curiosity sake. Tempted to just keep it on a wall. Looks absolutely sick in the raw alu.

Edited by V18

11 hours ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

What was your decision on this? I recently bought a Hyrax and can give you my two cents if you're still looking...

Thanks. I wound up going for a Santa Cruz Tallboy, which exceeded my expectations. Maybe in my near future i'll get a proper enduro rig, but for now i'm sticking with the SC. Enjoy your new ride man!

3 minutes ago, StevieG said:

Thanks. I wound up going for a Santa Cruz Tallboy, which exceeded my expectations. Maybe in my near future i'll get a proper enduro rig, but for now i'm sticking with the SC. Enjoy your new ride man!

Thanks, and you too.