GPS Computer (Cycling)

AllAboutRides

Hi Hubbers -

Not sure if there is a thread like this so sorry if there is already one.

I'm in the market for a decent cycling / gps computer.......navigation is not necessary but will be a added bonus.

Main features to track your ride; display HR / Cadence / Power ect.

I would really like to have a device where I can import a previous race and then compete against that time.....I assume this will be like virtual pacer? So if my previous CTCT time was 4hrs, I want to know how far I'm off in reaching the goal.

Any advice or device you can recommend?

Garmin / Wahoo / Bryton ......... ?????

I'm not sure if anything does the "virtual pacing" thing.  Maybe the high end Garmin units.

I have a love-hate relationship with my Polar V650.  Sometimes its great and sometimes you battle your ass off just to get it synced with the phone or PC.

Hi Hubbers -

I'm in the market for a decent cycling / gps computer.......navigation is not necessary but will be a added bonus.

I would really like to have a device where I can import a previous race and then compete against that time.....I assume this will be like virtual pacer? So if my previous CTCT time was 4hrs, I want to know how far I'm off in reaching the goal.

Garmin 520/530, 820/830, 1030 will have the virtual partner for you.

Garmin 520/530, 820/830, 1030 will have the virtual partner for you.

920xt as well...multisport watch that allows you to download a race event and time yourself against it. Not ideal seeing its a smallish screen but I guess the objective is to measure yourself at the end of the event.

My 735XT watch also has this feature where you can race an activity. I went the watch route as you basically just sacrifice a bit of screen size for a lot more functionality vs. a normal bike GPS.

if there's no budget involved, get a Garmin. 830 is great with a nice screen. The virtual partner, climb pro etc are all great tools to have if you want to pace yourself properly.

What I like about the Garmin virtual partner is that you can use it almost all the time.  You just setup the avg you want to chase and off you go.  And then off course you can create a course and the set an expected avg speed you want to ride and the virtual partner will use that.  For the record I have the Garmin 820 but as far as I know the 520 also had the future.  Be carefull for the Explore models as I think they do not have it.

Hi Hubbers -

Here's my review of the Lezyne Mega C.

I am unsure if it can race a previous activity like the Garmin can - I haven't checked (yet).

Get a GARMIN, Close the thread.

Not sure i agree with this anymore - im a longtime fan of the brand, but their latest stuff is a bit whack.

More detail here.

I would hands down recommend the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt against garmins R2k more expensive, if not more.

I’m a little pissed with Garmin too today. Just learnt that the Physio True-Up to keep your physiological metrics in sync across multiple devices doesn’t work with my Fenix 5X and Edge 1030 Plus. Because Garmin changed the algorithms used when launching the Fenix 6 series.

To have devices less than 24 months old be incompatible because of software features is just crap in my opinion. Basically now forces me back into TrainingPeaks subscription or Intervals.ICU to get one holistic view of just how unfit I really am.

I’m a little pissed with Garmin too today. Just learnt that the Physio True-Up to keep your physiological metrics in sync across multiple devices doesn’t work with my Fenix 5X and Edge 1030 Plus. Because Garmin changed the algorithms used when launching the Fenix 6 series.

To have devices less than 24 months old be incompatible because of software features is just crap in my opinion. Basically now forces me back into TrainingPeaks subscription or Intervals.ICU to get one holistic view of just how unfit I really am.

Thats the game they love to play...all in the name of innovation

Get a wahoo elemnt bolt

You wont regret it by far the best cycling computer out there

Hi Hubbers -