Road Racing Build, Budget 35k

Sid the Sloth

I think building your own is a better option, I always find great pleasure in building my own bike. You know exactly what you have, the service intervals etc.. It's just so much fun building your own.

I built up my gravel bike and learnt so much. I am quite keen on building but I know if I buy I will spend a large amount of time staring and tinkering... But the pre-built and immediate availability is also quite appealing. I am fairly torn. 

My new bike was in this price range. Just no stock of new bikes at the moment I found.

I have been drooling over that Cannondale of yours, looks so awesome. I would love to come for a ride with you guys some time, but right now I would have to hang on with my gravel bike. 

It's a shame you're not between 165 and 175cm because I have a bike for sale that exceeds all your requirements, Ultegra DI2 and 7kg and it is rock bottom 34k

Edited by Andreas_187

If i was building the Mercer, I'll offload the campy groupset & replace with Etap...

And I might be tempted to get Shamal Mille wheels

I had a look at this, tempting but I am not sure if the sizing would work. I'll swing him a message. Thanks!

It's a shame you're not between 165 and 175cm because I have a bike for sale that exceeds all your requirements, Ultegra DI2 and 7kg and it is rock bottom 34k

I had a look at the sizing chart and maybe it could work - will have to see after I get the fit done and I check on the geometry of the 52. Bit out of my budget but maybe I could stretch. Good luck with the sale

I had a look at the sizing chart and maybe it could work - will have to see after I get the fit done and I check on the geometry of the 52. Bit out of my budget but maybe I could stretch. Good luck with the sale

Isn't your budget 35k?

Isn't your budget 35k?

Yep, but I am pretty set on getting a power meter and I think it would be difficult to acquire one for less than 4000 which would already be a pretty big stretch. 

Yep, but I am pretty set on getting a power meter and I think it would be difficult to acquire one for less than 4000 which would already be a pretty big stretch.

Not sure if this is the correct model and if they still have stock, but the price is very close to 4000. https://www.specialized.com/za/en/power-cranks-shimano-ultegra-upgrade-kit/p/157392?color=234674-157392&searchText=48118-2402

If anyone has experience with Campy 11spd components, I would love to know how much I will need to set aside extra for servicing and maintenance. I am tempted to go for the Cannondale super six evo on the hub but I am concerned I am going to have shell out a lot more to replace any breakages or worn bits when the time comes.

From what I have seen there are limited spares available on the hub especially compared to Ultegra and new components seem to cost a fortune. 

Any input is appreciated.

If anyone has experience with Campy 11spd components, I would love to know how much I will need to set aside extra for servicing and maintenance. I am tempted to go for the Cannondale super six evo on the hub but I am concerned I am going to have shell out a lot more to replace any breakages or worn bits when the time comes.

From what I have seen there are limited spares available on the hub especially compared to Ultegra and new components seem to cost a fortune.

Any input is appreciated.

Campy parts are more expensive, yes.

But I always buy KMC or other third party chain, as well as cables and housing from CRC, which costs the same as shimano...

Chainrings and cassettes I think are a little more expensive, but not by much, and they LAST....

Also, hubber JMK1 has all the spares you'll ever need.

Campy parts are more expensive, yes.

But I always buy KMC or other third party chain, as well as cables and housing from CRC, which costs the same as shimano...

Chainrings and cassettes I think are a little more expensive, but not by much, and they LAST....

Also, hubber JMK1 has all the spares you'll ever need.

Thanks! Really appreciate this.