Thule Bike Rack Problem - Burnt Tyre!

TЯΞB

Adjust the height of the tow bar using an off the shelf plate. Can't be done on some tow bars, those where the ball slides in and locks with a pin.

I would, but mine doesn't have a plate, it's one of those plug-in ones. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, with many cars today, you can't fit an exhaust deflector because the exhaust pipe/s are often built into the bumper or a feature just below it... This is the case with my X5...

I happened to be at Thule today for another matter and asked to see their deflector plates... Very neat and they fit into the bike rack frame in a very professional / sturdy way... Much better than trying to pop rivet a 'for sale' sign...

They're a bit pricey at R800 and maybe a bit small but certainly a very good base onto which you could easily pop rivet another piece of steel / aluminium...

Thanks JBK,

I'll take it to Thule for them to have a look. It's a good couple of years old, so I doubt that they will have something that works, but worth a try!

Failing that I'll just get some ally plate and leave it uncoated.

Edited by TЯΞB

The simplest solution I have seen is a piece of metal plate cut / bent to fit over the end of a fortuner exhaust and fastened with a hose clamp or two... easy to install, and easy to remove

It happens When the Car is Stopped with the Engine Running for a long period of time.(e.g.Traffic Jam on the Highway)

If the car is moving it Should Not Happen. After using the same car, the same carrier, and the same bike for 1000's of Km it happened to me on the way to Durban. And my Bike Fits at Least 30 cm up from the exhaust. Now I just switch off the Engine and Fit the Bike differently on the carrier.