Crank Brothers vs Shimano

DR ◣◢

After about 10 years on flats I need to scratch the clicky clicky itch and I need some opinions on pedals. 

In the past I've always used Shimano trail pedals and then switched back to flats full time. So naturally I would want a platform pedal. 

Choices are the new Shimano Saints and the Crank Brothers Mallet Es

I have a set of Egg Beaters on my IDT bike and it's ok but I definitely won't hit the trails on those.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do you enjoy rebuilding pedals regularly?

If it's on the never side of the scale - Shimano...

Are the newer CB Mallets still that bad when it comes to reliability? 

How much do you enjoy rebuilding pedals regularly?

If it's on the never side of the scale - Shimano...

wow it did not take long :D

Personnaly I have been torned between the two for a while, I loved the way the SPD clip in and out but I also hated the fact that sometimes I was clipping out on jumps, wether I was whipping on purpose or not  :D :D.

On the CB it's a bit harder to get your cleat setup perfect, on my Mallet E I didn't put the spacer under the cleat so that I can enjoy the full support of the pedal when not clipped in, but the downside was that it was sometime a mission to clip in. For enduro riding they were the dream though, but for more XC uphill technical sections the fact that they are so hard to clip out can lead to some embarrassing moments.

I now have a set of candy on my XC bike and bought easy release cleats (R450 which is a rip off but I didn't pay the pedals so...) and it feels I've got the best from both worlds now, I clip in easy, clip out releatively easy but never when I don't want to.

Oh and I never had to rebuild a set (yet)

I think both are really nice, the shimanos are easier to set up and have a better reputation in reliability, but for now I'll stick to my Candy as they work for me, and are really light

Edited by Jbr

I definitely want the "platform under foot" feel when on the bike. I'm not a fan of that feeling of standing on a small rock when pedalling. 

I definitely want the "platform under foot" feel when on the bike. I'm not a fan of that feeling of standing on a small rock when pedalling. 

what about the Look ones - I like them but I'm probably the last guy to voice an opinion on trail pedals

I would go with the shimano pedals.

I have ridden both eggbeaters and shimano trail pedals. The clipped in feeling for me on the CB are better than that of shimano, but the axles and bearing on the shimanos are better, last longer and easier / cheaper to repair.

E.g. I bought a second hand bike and the guy gave me XTR pedals. They had play on the axles, and he reckoned they were done. I pulled the axles and re-greased them, play gone. The same exercise on CB would cost a rebuild kit.

Just go Shitmano - tried & tested by thousands over many years - they bullet proof - And coming from me that be quite a statement for them.

I recently changed to LOOK XTrack - they also seem good but haven't had them long, you can also use Shitmano SPD cleats on the LOOK, which is a winner

But your signature suggests otherwise :D :D :D 

Ordered the Crap Brothers (I use the same shoes on the IDT and changing cleats is a PITA). I don't think ill be on them enough to have issues. It's more of an experiment than anything else. 

So ... i'll report back my disappointment in this thread at a later stage. 

Look x-track 'En-Rage' pedal, the Nukeproof Horizon or DMR make the Versa or V-twin.

Those would be my suggestions. Shimano standard cleat, proper pinned platform, some float and awesome reliability. 

All for under 2k.

Look x-track 'En-Rage' pedal, the Nukeproof Horizon or DMR make the Versa or V-twin.

Those would be my suggestions. Shimano standard cleat, proper pinned platform, some float and awesome reliability. 

All for under 2k.

Care to share a link for DMR Versa's under 2k?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Here's the disappointment. Can't find the Mallet E in stock anywhere. Was hoping to get a set before the weekend. 

As for the DMR Versa. I do like the idea of one pedal for two pairs of shoes but at the same time I don't like to fiddle with a pedal while riding. 

All for under 2k.

The price of the V-Twin just made me throw up in my mouth a little.