Crank Brothers vs Shimano

DR ◣◢

But your signature suggests otherwise :D :D :D

Directed towards their groupsets - their shoes and pedals though I have to admit are very good - In fact their cycling kit isn't bad either if you can get it

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought of something and ended up ordering the DMR Versa. 

If I don't like them on the bike then they move onto the IDT bike. Mrs Dampf and I share the bike but she isn't a fan of clicky clicky pedals. This works out just fine. 

If I do like them and I don't have issues with the clipping in part then it's a win for me on all fronts. 

Here's the disappointment. Can't find the Mallet E in stock anywhere. Was hoping to get a set before the weekend. 

As for the DMR Versa. I do like the idea of one pedal for two pairs of shoes but at the same time I don't like to fiddle with a pedal while riding. 

The Universe is talking to you there  :whistling:

Just thought of something and ended up ordering the DMR Versa. 

If I don't like them on the bike then they move onto the IDT bike. Mrs Dampf and I share the bike but she isn't a fan of clicky clicky pedals. This works out just fine. 

If I do like them and I don't have issues with the clipping in part then it's a win for me on all fronts. 

Where did you order from?

Let me know how they go please, also keen on giving them a spin.

After about 10 years on flats I need to scratch the clicky clicky itch and I need some opinions on pedals. 

In the past I've always used Shimano trail pedals and then switched back to flats full time. So naturally I would want a platform pedal. 

Choices are the new Shimano Saints and the Crank Brothers Mallet Es

I have a set of Egg Beaters on my IDT bike and it's ok but I definitely won't hit the trails on those.

Buy Shimano now, and in 10 years time consider buying a new pair of Shimano pedals again, but realise that your current 10 year old pedals are still spinning smoothly and working like new ... then go ride your bike.

Where did you order from?

Let me know how they go please, also keen on giving them a spin.

Get Stoked has stock. I’m stoked to try them.

Here's the disappointment. Can't find the Mallet E in stock anywhere. Was hoping to get a set before the weekend. 

As for the DMR Versa. I do like the idea of one pedal for two pairs of shoes but at the same time I don't like to fiddle with a pedal while riding. 

which colour were you after?

which colour were you after?

Black like my heart.

They had blue which is a horrible clash with a murdered out bike with an orange frame. Also, I really don’t like blue.

I use CB Eggbeater pedals. My one set has about 5300kms on them. I haven't had to rebuild any of them so far.

One set went through a crazy muddy Wines2Whales. It dealt well with the mud and hasn't needed a rebuild.

They're great :)

Edited by aquaratza

Been riding CB for the longest time. I love them. New bike I got came with Shimano XT pedals, and I've been having a really tough time finding stock of mallets, so figured I'd give them a shot.

They aren't horrible, probably good even, but I just don't like the feel of them. Busy looking to go back to CB. I get that it's probably just a personal preference.

In terms of reliability. I've had eggbeaters (not great, too small), candies and my last set was mallets which were awesome. Never had to rebuild any of them.

I bought mine overseas and sold them about a week ago... not easy to find locally..

Crankbrothers any day every day. I am using Shimano till I can replace/rebuild my Candy 7's I have had them on 3 bikes and around 4000km and they were used when I got them. The clip in and out just feels so much better. Shimano clipping out feels like I am going to break my ankle.

PS crankbrothers can be rebuild Shimano goes to the bin when they start getting play.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

Crankbrothers any day every day. I am using Shimano till I can replace/rebuild my Candy 7's I have had them on 3 bikes and around 4000km and they were used when I got them. The clip in and out just feels so much better. Shimano clipping out feels like I am going to break my ankle.

PS crankbrothers can be rebuild Shimano goes to the bin when they start getting play.

Umm...... Shimano pedals are 100% serviceable and re-buildable. 

I have no real preference as the shimano clip in/out is massively adjustable while the CB has better float.

However shimano cleats are half the price and last twice as long, as well as being compatible with Look x track, ritchey, nukeproof and DMR pedals (as well as Ryder and a couple of other cheap ones), which trumps CB for me in the 'options' catagory.

But let's not type laaaiiisss to make your choice seem more appealing! hahaha

I moved from spd to cb about 10 years ago.

The feel of the float was what really got me.

They are definitely not as durable.

They are definitely not as widespread.

But this is a highly personal choice so you got to work out what works for you. I don't regret it

I don’t think any set of Shimano mtb spds have ever found their way into a bin. They are like onkruid, vergaan nie.

I reckon 520s are the most bang for buck mtb part ever made. Rocks hate them, because rock strikes with 520s usually break the rocks.