Flats vs Cleats. Your findings

ChristiaanSt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer flats over cleats just for the simple fact that i ride like im a pro(im in no sense) so i need to get my feet off quick to not bliksem down. Cadence wise i havent seen a difference i just put my saddle a little higher to get a better "circle".

Been flat pedals since 2014 and tried cleats for 5 months last year.

No improvement climbing. I suck period.

Getting used to clearing and uncleating was a ball ache.

I wasn't quicker in cleats using Strava / Garmin as a reference.

Sticking to flats for the foreseeable future. I focus more on fun Enduro / shuttle rides and avoid long +50km rides.

Biggest gripe - flat shoes just don't always look as cool as cleated shoes.

Edited by keithbe

Why is it impossible for these companies to produce a proper flats riding shoe with a boa closure shoe?

Do I HAVE to look like a kid who's lost his skateboard?

Those Shimano shoes on that link look pretty roadie like.

I ride with both, on my DS. Depending on what I feel like for the ride.

To me flats are more fun, but I feel more secure clipped in.

Started with flats, but then got advised to ride cleats, as all the better riders ,were on cleats then.

This was more then 15 years ago.

Found I just could not ride anything Dh or rocks though, with cleats.So rode my enduro bike , and jumps with flats.Cleats for my distance bike.Problem was even on a rough section of any trail, I was so uncomfortable being cleated in,I was always uncleating anyway.

Last year found out my left calf was painful, for days after riding with cleats, so switched to flats,no more pain!

The first long distance(for me) over 100 km ride, on flats, realised will never ride with cleats again.

Never been a fast rider anyway.

Been riding clipless my entire life, when I made the decision last year between flats and clipless I stayed with clipless and these are my learnings: 

1) The actual pedal/cleat you have make a huge difference on the experience. I've updgraded and it was a game changer.

2) Uphills it does not make any difference, IMPO. depends in the rider. If you're fit enough you'll climb fast.

3) I've ridden rocky, rooty, steep sections all whilst clip in. Does not matter, but again it can be the rider

4) it is an advanage to know my foot is in the right place when I need to klap a pedal in. but decent flats and shoes also have great grip.

If it was possible to be able to "test drive" them on some trails for a day would be the best to solve thie personal dillema.

Good luck and happy riding! 

If it was possible to be able to "test drive" them on some trails for a day would be the best to solve thie personal dillema.

You touch on something here ... it is almost as if SA needs a "Flat Pedal Society" that can help potential flat riders enjoy the pleasure of riding on flats and good shoes for a ride or two before converting.

It is a moerse cash investment for something you are not sure you will take to.

You touch on something here ... it is almost as if SA needs a "Flat Pedal Society" that can help potential flat riders enjoy the pleasure of riding on flats and good shoes for a ride or two before converting.

Bring the 5.10s back and all the problems will be solved.

Both options will be cool to test

Been cycling for about 4yrs now

Started with Nike sneakers and DMR V8s and when I got a new bike switched to FiveTen Freerider and DMR V12s

Loving the flats for all the many, many reasons

However, seriously been considering clips lately as I get numb feet on long descents (Jonkers)

Also a heavy investment for something which I might not like..sooo janee 

PS 

I was ranting about this on another thread couple of weeks ago 

Both options will be cool to test

Been cycling for about 4yrs now

Started with Nike sneakers and DMR V8s and when I got a new bike switched to FiveTen Freerider and DMR V12s

Loving the flats for all the many, many reasons

However, seriously been considering clips lately as I get numb feet on long descents (Jonkers)

Also a heavy investment for something which I might not like..sooo janee 

PS 

I was ranting about this on another thread couple of weeks ago 

read in another thread leave my laces almost completely loose has solved this.

also spent 10 years clipped in and now on flats... will probably go back to clips... but like the flats to keep me honest and refine technique

read in another thread leave my laces almost completely loose has solved this.

also spent 10 years clipped in and now on flats... will probably go back to clips... but like the flats to keep me honest and refine technique

Tried but made no difference to me unfortunately

The "duckfoot" technique mentioned in that thread did make improvements

I notice the numb feet more on trails like Red Phoenix and Armageddon 

On Plumber/Status there are too many other things for a noob like me to worry about than to notice feet going numb  :blink: like just making it down without shattering something 

Would take a lot from me to go down there clipped in I reckon 

Still just want to try clips out to make a fair comparison someday...don't want to be missing out on something that could be potentially much more fun/improve my riding