GoPro HERO9 offers 5K video and 20-megapixel stills

News bot

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one here that owns a gopro that has only ever shot one usable video?

The rest of us WAS super stoked with our attempts .... until we saw the super crazy stuff that CapeDiver and a few others get up to .....

gaan nie nou my naam gat maak om my kommin vids te post nie ....  :ph34r:

Am I the only one here that owns a gopro that has only ever shot one usable video?

error, no...YouTube MrCapediver....you'll find all sorts of home movies there....????

Nope. I definitely can’t get anything useful either. Had one interesting one when I used it on my motorbike helmet when commuting and documented a motocross trip in Bali once.

That was it.

Edited by DR ◣◢

Problem is that we now measure videos against those with cuts from drones, 360 degree cameras and short clips on the bike .... while these are shot of downhill pros ....

Just no way our bar mounted cameras will ever deliver similar footage ....

Ours are for our own families to watch, mostly for Marit's parents to see where we ride.

Our videos of the Spur MTB races may be boring ... okay mostly it is boring. But it is an invaluable training tool.

For the last few months I have only done time lapse photography. Some interesting photos .... just wishing for a raw converter to be able to access more info out of the odd picture...

For the last few months I have only done time lapse photography. Some interesting photos .... just wishing for a raw converter to be able to access more info out of the odd picture...

This is mostly what my gopro has spent its life doing, time lapses of all kinds of stuff.

Problem is that we now measure videos against those with cuts from drones, 360 degree cameras and short clips on the bike .... while these are shot of downhill pros ....

Just no way our bar mounted cameras will ever deliver similar footage ....

Ours are for our own families to watch, mostly for Marit's parents to see where we ride.

Our videos of the Spur MTB races may be boring ... okay mostly it is boring. But it is an invaluable training tool.

Have you tried this?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

This is mostly what my gopro has spent its life doing, time lapses of all kinds of stuff.

While back I had to go do a site inspection in the Karoo ... no way of going back to check some small details ...

I mounted the GoPro on my head (like a miners lamp), and set it to take photos every 5 seconds.

The only "issue" is way too many photos ... So I import the full set into Lightroom, immediately select "X" for all photos, then go through the pack, selecting the best of each group of photos, then remove the rest from the selection in Lightroom.  (for work I just de-select, for cycling I delete these from the hard drive).

Yes, sometimes it makes sense (for work) to take short video clips of certain processes, and panoramic photos with the cell phone.  But mostly the wide angle shots from the GoPro deliviers the most information for the least hard drive space.

Thanks, will give it a try.  :thumbup:

PS - for those not familiar with "RAW" format.  This is the actual data the camera sensor picked up, the maximum information per pixel available.  The camera then goes through a algorythm to produce a typical jpg photo, trying to guestimate what detail is most important ....  Photos straight into the sunlight often result in jpg photos losing a lot of information.  For work I often take photos in very dark roof spaces, where a singular light source would overwelm the photo, and hide the important details.  Working with the original RAW data in programs such as Lightroom you can then access the original data.  For cycling photos into the sun it allows nice effects ... for the work photos it allows me to reduce the singular light source, AND to bring out data from the very dark area.  Sometimes it may not be the most printable photos, but it provides excellent information for work reports.  Back to cycling, when going through light-and-dark zones in trees the RAW photo helps you to get out a some photos as well .... 

JIP, way to much work for the average pic .... but when you get that special photo it HELPS to have the original RAW, to be able to get the very best out of it.

PPS - when encountering these "light-and-dark" situations it helps to use the "HDR" setting on your camera.  Recently more phone-cameras also have an HDR function  :thumbup:

Edited by ChrisF

Should convert GPR to DNG. DNG being a universal raw format supported by pretty much everything.

I edit on Capture One. They have a free version but I’m not sure if it supports DNG as its camera specific.

Should convert GPR to DNG. DNG being a universal raw format supported by pretty much everything.

I edit on Capture One. They have a free version but I’m not sure if it supports DNG as its camera specific.

Had to do the same when a friend wanted me to edit some of his new Nikon RAW images.  Once converted to DNG it worked fine.

Both Lightroom 5.7 and my much older Photoshop imports DNG happily.

• 3 months later...

7b49a81d72661f6470ea11dc23e4561c.jpg

Pulled the trigger on this bad boy. My first ever GoPro / Action Cam. Steep learning curve!

Me too.... wifey gave me one for Xmas

Not sure if she realizes what this means....

Would be nice if we had a dedicated thread that GoPro users could share their experiences on.

My first question would be, what kind of mount do you recommend using for cycling and other outdoor sports (in my case snowboarding). I’m inclined towards a chest mounted position, but not sure about the technicalities and mount options.... where to shop / buy from online?