GoPro HERO9 offers 5K video and 20-megapixel stills

News bot

Me too.... wifey gave me one for Xmas

Not sure if she realizes what this means....

Would be nice if we had a dedicated thread that GoPro users could share their experiences on.

My first question would be, what kind of mount do you recommend using for cycling and other outdoor sports (in my case snowboarding). I’m inclined towards a chest mounted position, but not sure about the technicalities and mount options.... where to shop / buy from online?

Cycling, don't bother about mounting anything on the bike itself...despite the great stabilisation ability of the GoPro, it will not be able to handle the constant judder of a direct mount to the bike...maybe road bike but definitely not MTB....unless you want some B roll and the shake is part of the plan...but generally stay away from handle bar/bike mounts...again MTB.

A chesty is definitely the way to go for a bike, with the superview wide angle on, you get a great perspective..bars in foreground, the trail/road out back...and its more stable....

A head/helmet mount is another option, your head is a great gimbal! But footage become boring fast cause the view angle never changes...again, OK for B roll.

Snowboarding...pole mount works great, a nice long extendable selfie stick.... chesty too but the angle needs to be set as you are facing sideways mostly...head/helmet mount works too.

If you can get, use GoPro mounts they are better quality, their online shopping is not bad and in Europe should be able to deliver pronto.... stay away from cheap stuff on Ebay or Aliexpress, they almost always suck and made from cheap plastic and brittle. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be nice if we had a dedicated thread that GoPro users could share their experiences on.

My first question would be, what kind of mount do you recommend using for cycling and other outdoor sports (in my case snowboarding). I’m inclined towards a chest mounted position, but not sure about the technicalities and mount options.... where to shop / buy from online?

lucky bugger 

on your first outing do  few quick shoots to check the angle 

with the chesty mount you'd  be surprised how much you have to angle the gopro up to get usable footage 

Handle bar should not be over 30% of the bottom part of the screen but you should atleast be able to see the bottom of the stem 

Enjoy.

Interesting learning curve ....

Mounting - the chest mount is good, but I dont like being strapped in too long ... so I most often use the bar mounted bracket from Garmin. They have a "pro" mount, you set it up before the ride, then need tools to change angles .... I opted for the unit with the quick swiwel mount. Easy to change the camera direction while riding, super handy when something is happening next to you.

Battery life, and hard drive space .... easy when you plan to take a few shots, and then you miss moments, and then you keep the camera on ....

Video editing .... so now you have digital mountains of clips .... finding your ideal editing software is the key to stay on top of this .....

SOUND .... finding the right sound track is the key to a good video ...

I certainly dont have the answers to the last items .... will follow this thread, and hoping others share their solutions.

Jpg works fine.

RAW format allows a lot more editing options, but the GoPro RAW format only works on the very latest subscription Lightroom software .... I am perfectly happy with my paid Lightroom. If I wanted to get the new lightroom I would also have to upgrade Windows .... this can become an expensive exercise ....

PS I love using the time lapse photo function ...

EDIT ... Really hope somebody has a hack to use the RAW photos ....

Download Adobe DNG Converter

Convert GoPro Raw files to DNG, Import to LightRoom .... BOOM!

Been doing it since the 8.

Chest mount works well, but be sure of the angles you mount it at, especially when your getting loose and moving around the bike. 

first time out, I set it up while seated.... and thought the angle was great, until I stood up and got behind the saddle, and had the whole trail with me just filming the handlbar and front wheel.....

(as an aside - EWS rules dont allow chest straps, only helmet or bike mounted cameras - not sure if its a safety thing, but maybe something to keep in mind)

THANKS

Was thinking about this during yesterdays ride ... few awesome spots, but light range way too wide for jpg ..

Chest mount works well, but be sure of the angles you mount it at, especially when your getting loose and moving around the bike.

first time out, I set it up while seated.... and thought the angle was great, until I stood up and got behind the saddle, and had the whole trail with me just filming the handlbar and front wheel.....

(as an aside - EWS rules dont allow chest straps, only helmet or bike mounted cameras - not sure if its a safety thing, but maybe something to keep in mind)

Cycling SA also dont allow chest, nor helmet mounted, GoPro.

Thus we opted for the bar mounted ... and now continue with this on the trails.

Even with bar mounted ... play with the camera angle.

Actually nice to get part of the front wheel and trail in shot.

I've had great results with my old Hero+ running a chest mount. Surprisingly stable. 

I run the GoPro upside down on the mount to get my angle perfect. I edit in Premier on desktop and LumaFusion on iPad.

Cycling SA also dont allow chest, nor helmet mounted, GoPro.

Thus we opted for the bar mounted ... and now continue with this on the trails.

Fortunately influencers don't bother with CSA.

Ps: there are many helmet gopros at the enduro events. All on break away mounts. The Commisaire had no issue with it.

• 1 month later...

THANKS  :thumbup:   :clap:

Adobe RAW converter is now up to 13.1, for Windows 10 users.  I downloaded there 11.1 RAW converter for Windows 7.

Two examples for those that dont understand the fuss ....

INTO the rising sun ... the camera light sensor is overwelmed by the morning sun, and the details of the trail is lost.

Camera JPEG -

post-110956-0-82614100-1613301083_thumb.jpg

The same photo, this time from the RAW image data, with minimal tweaking in Lightroom -

post-110956-0-99491900-1613301166_thumb.jpg

Second example ... B Spot, the bridge route in the shade of the trees

Camera JPEG -

post-110956-0-86288900-1613301093_thumb.jpg

From the camera RAW -

post-110956-0-56200700-1613301182_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

Is that free software?

Can I get the link for windows 10 64but

The converter is freeware ... google for Adobe RAW converter 13.1

Lightroom is not freeware.

I am not up to speed with the freeware equivalents for Lightroom

The converter is freeware ... google for Adobe RAW converter 13.1

Lightroom is not freeware.

I am not up to speed with the freeware equivalents for Lightroom

okay so how do I open it ? 

I installed it 3 times and still can't find anything with that name to launch , and now its filled up my harddrive  :rolleyes:  so I guess how do I delete it aswell ?