Safe way to move pedals further out??

Reme Le Hane

I have a friend who rides with a very wide angle on his pedals. So much so that he cannot ride with cleats as he cannot get comfortable. We also tried to get his feet more straight but due to some weird anatomy he is very uncomfortable like that.  :wacko:

we stuck some gorilla tape on the frame where his feet rub and just replace it every now and then. :thumbup:

Why would you want to increase the Q factor? Unless you have seriously duck feet a few mm should be fine.

I have a Mommsen hardtail and the chain stays are also way too wide. This results in scuffed shoes as well as all the paint off the chain stays already. However I can't accommodate the wider Q factor even if I wanted to as it brings with it other issues, especially knee pain.

So before going 10mm per side consider the possible consequences. They are not pleasant. 

I also found that when I got my AL129...before that I had a GT, Trance and sadly a Ghost and I never caught the chainstays. 

Not 5mm each side, maybe a 2mm spacer on the pedal each side is the max I'd risk

Maybe you could play with a Dh crank and lots off bb spacers

I think I am missing the spacers/washers on my pedals first time I am striking my crank arm with shoes.

When I first got my Jeffsy I was doing the same, heels touching frame, put some protection tape on the frame to stop scuffing. After a couple weeks got used to the new setup and no longer rub the frame. Just ride and eventually your technique will adapt.

Why would you want to increase the Q factor? Unless you have seriously duck feet a few mm should be fine.

I feel the reason is obvious, but here goes; just like people have longer arms, longer legs, long torso's, bigger hands, even, and yes, some people have a larger 'hip cradle', yet must now bring their feet back close together, say to the same 'width' as a 5'6 lady, say, to meet the same Q-factor? Look, not everyone needs this solution, maybe 1 in a hundred, but for those people, rather than CAUSE knee pain, they could EASE knee pain, simple, really.