Platform Bike Rack Space

Bitsy

Hello all,

Has anyone had experience with this bike rack- BuzzRack Eazzy 2. I want to carry 2 MTB's on it (both size M). I currently have a Hang On Thule and it has thought me that when they say 3 bike carrier- you can only realistically get 2 on if you don't want to scratch the bikes. 

With this being a platform version- would the 2 bike version be comfortably able to take two MTB's? I can't find many reviews on the model and some of them were sneaky when mounting the bikes as they loosen the handle bar so it fits better (something I am not keen\willing to do).

Thanks.

The platform does three better than the hangon one , but same pricipal applies, A 3 bike rack does 2 bikes very well 

Edited by Milosh

The platform does three better than the hangon one , but same pricipal applies, A 3 bike rack does 2 bikes very well

This

Rather buy a rack for one more bike than you intend to carry, it's much less hassle and risk to the bikes

2 bike rack is a waste of time.

3 bike rack carries 2 bikes.

A 2 bike rack with 2 bikes on it will damage them because they'll rub somewhere. Dont waste your time.

I have a Buzzrack Buzz Bee Platform and carry 2 x Large frame MTB's (29er) no problem. When you mount them just remember that they go head to toe and not the same side mounted.

What i did do is add an additional cut to size pool noodle cable tied around both uprights (400mm long each)  as not to get the bikes scratched. Works wonders

post-75287-0-95800700-1600693823_thumb.jpg

post-75287-0-58193400-1600693925_thumb.jpg

Edited by slickjay007

I have a Buzzrack Buzz Bee Platform and carry 2 x Large frame MTB's (29er) no problem. When you mount them just remember that they go head to toe and not the same side mounted.

What i did do is add an additional cut to size pool noodle cable tied around both uprights (400mm long each) as not to get the bikes scratched. Works wonders

I seriously wouldn’t mind the rack in the example shown. So nice.

Jip, the only way two bikse fit on a two-bike-rak is when you have dropper posts ... else the bars and saddles are forever working at each other .....

I used to load 3 bikes on my Thule platform. The issue was not so much the space on the rack, but rather the shape of the frames and placement of shocks. I could load load 2 bikes in the spaces nearest the car, but could not get the 3rd attachment arm in place. And then I found this - attach this to the 2nd bike, and this holds the 3rd bike in place.  

Suddenly a 3 bike rack works for 3 bikes. The problem does not sit with Thule (or whatever bike rack you choose), the problem is bike are not designed for the racks.

I will get a 2 bike rack again, and use the arm that attaches to 2 bikes

post-45233-0-77531200-1600694577.jpg

I used to load 3 bikes on my Thule platform. The issue was not so much the space on the rack, but rather the shape of the frames and placement of shocks. I could load load 2 bikes in the spaces nearest the car, but could not get the 3rd attachment arm in place. And then I found this - attach this to the 2nd bike, and this holds the 3rd bike in place.  

Suddenly a 3 bike rack works for 3 bikes. The problem does not sit with Thule (or whatever bike rack you choose), the problem is bike are not designed for the racks.

nifty - where can I get this.

Oh, and two downhill bikes even on a 3 bike platform carrier?  one of the toughest things I've ever done.

nifty - where can I get this.

Oh, and two downhill bikes even on a 3 bike platform carrier?  one of the toughest things I've ever done.

If you have a Thule rack you can get it from them, not sure about other makes though.

I used to load 3 bikes on my Thule platform. The issue was not so much the space on the rack, but rather the shape of the frames and placement of shocks. I could load load 2 bikes in the spaces nearest the car, but could not get the 3rd attachment arm in place. And then I found this - attach this to the 2nd bike, and this holds the 3rd bike in place.

That’s a great idea, I never have a problem when it’s my bike with my wife’s bike as I know exactly where and how each bike should be on the rack, but bliksem you go and fetch a mate in the morning for an out of town ride and it is instant delay on the trip. I have found that the IMBI set I bought a few years ago has been invaluable for bike protection on the rack, also helps hold them more firmly too!

That’s a great idea, I never have a problem when it’s my bike with my wife’s bike as I know exactly where and how each bike should be on the rack, but bliksem you go and fetch a mate in the morning for an out of town ride and it is instant delay on the trip. I have found that the IMBI set I bought a few years ago has been invaluable for bike protection on the rack, also helps hold them more firmly too!

We were going to suggest a set of Imbi Bike Savers but you beat us to it MphatiPyga!

3 bikes on a 3 bike platform rack is tricky, but it is possible, sometimes. What we recommend, if you are usually transporting the same bikes, when you figure out the load combination that works best, take a pic of it and save it to your favourites for future reference.

48360133_1637023143065756_61315949378309

Rather see if you can stretch to this version

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/buzz-rack-buzz-runner-spark-2-bike-carrier-c1129886?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAduLSxhAOpQMCsXqlvk0By0VMxSjvAa7vbZDorVpyGK1nVyFZlHQmfEaAt0TEALw_wcB

I have the older version of this rack which must be 7 years old by now. I look after it and it still works and looks great.

The rack mounts very quickly to the towbar, and being a platform is light years ahead in usability and security when mounting the bikes. I also like that the rack is hinged and can therefore fold forward to allow access to the boot or hatch. 

You should get a ratchet type strap with the rack .... use it, it helps the bikes from bouncing around on the rack. I have an off-cut strip of leather that I use to protect the frame from the jaws and the ratchet straps.

Another nice added bonus, the rack has tail lights and indicators, as well as a license plate holder, so you will be 100% legal on the road therefore the cops can't pull you over.

Rather see if you can stretch to this version

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/buzz-rack-buzz-runner-spark-2-bike-carrier-c1129886?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAduLSxhAOpQMCsXqlvk0By0VMxSjvAa7vbZDorVpyGK1nVyFZlHQmfEaAt0TEALw_wcB

I have the older version of this rack which must be 7 years old by now. I look after it and it still works and looks great.

The rack mounts very quickly to the towbar, and being a platform is light years ahead in usability and security when mounting the bikes. I also like that the rack is hinged and can therefore fold forward to allow access to the boot or hatch. 

You should get a ratchet type strap with the rack .... use it, it helps the bikes from bouncing around on the rack. I have an off-cut strip of leather that I use to protect the frame from the jaws and the ratchet straps.

Another nice added bonus, the rack has tail lights and indicators, as well as a license plate holder, so you will be 100% legal on the road therefore the cops can't pull you over.

To add though, when I bought mine at Makro they were having a launch special and were selling for R800.00 .... but that was about 7 years and many bikes ago.