Sun City Ultra

ycowley

Anyone done the Sun City Ultra before. Please could you let me know whether you think it is novice friendly.

Entered Durban 70.3 for 2020 which is now 2021 so would like to do a triathlon for experience.

Edited by ycowley

I did it as a team with my sister in 2019. She did the run and swim while I cycled.

Look, it is still the advertised distance, so you need to make sure that you are able to complete it.

Other than that, very nice event.

Double lap in the dam, then a fairly long jog up to transition.

The cycle route favours bigger riders as it is rolling, with only a bugger of a climb as you return to transition from the cycle route.

The run is fairly rough on the legs going through hills.

I'd say it is a very nice outing for a first go at a distance event. Family has plenty to do while you are out doing your thing.

It's a good race. I'm sure you'd enjoy the weekend.

The swim is probably the most novice friendly as it's in a dam. Which is very different to the sea. It's probably a blitz swim if you're a good swimmer, and a lot more manageable if you're nervous.

The bike is 2 loops of fast flattish road. (except for the pig of a kicker right at the end but that's neither here nor there)

The run is quite cool as you tour all over the place, a nice easyish rolling run.

If it's hot, which is likely, it can add a little spice to the mix.

Great race, and i think suitable for a novice given its a dam swim. 

Will be cooking, so plan hydration and nutrition properly.

Give it hell.