MarcHD

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Marc

Quick question, can i use a shimano locking ring on DT centerlock 350 MTB hubs?

Thanks.

Hi there, 

Thanks for the query!

Are you fitting a centrelock disc/rotor to the CL hub or is it a 6bolt disc/rotor you are fitting to a centrelock hub with the use of an adapter?

No problem Gerhard. 

We will soon be restocking a full compliment of bearings for all DT hubs should you need.

Welcome to send me photos of your freehub internals for me to confirm whether it is indeed DT Swiss you are rolling on.

be careful not to confuse issues by  restocking a full compliment of bearings (full portfolio of bearing models) of non full compliment bearings (caged bearings) since DT swiss uses caged bearings for maximum lubrication and dirt tolerance   :)

be careful not to confuse issues by  restocking a full compliment of bearings (full portfolio of bearing models) of non full compliment bearings (caged bearings) since DT swiss uses caged bearings for maximum lubrication and dirt tolerance    :)

Might be a bit ambiguous that!

Edited, with thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for the query!

Are you fitting a centrelock disc/rotor to the CL hub or is it a 6bolt disc/rotor you are fitting to a centrelock hub with the use of an adapter?

It is a centerlock hub. Specifically 28h, straightpull, 350 MTB hub set.

It is a centerlock hub. Specifically 28h, straightpull, 350 MTB hub set.

Hi Knersboy,

Sorry if I wasn't being clear there, but I meant are you also using a centrelock disc or is it a 6bolt disc being adapted to fit the hub.

You will need to use a DT Swiss lockring with a DT hub to maintain your warranty and to ensure safety.

Furthermore DT Swiss require that you use the full centrelock to IS (6bolt) adapter assembly if you are indeed adapting the CL hub to fit a 6bolt rotor/disc

Hope this answers your question!

Hi Knersboy,

Sorry if I wasn't being clear there, but I meant are you also using a centrelock disc or is it a 6bolt disc being adapted to fit the hub.

You will need to use a DT Swiss lockring with a DT hub to maintain your warranty and to ensure safety.

Furthermore DT Swiss require that you use the full centrelock to IS (6bolt) adapter assembly if you are indeed adapting the CL hub to fit a 6bolt rotor/disc

Hope this answers your question!

Thanks, it is a centerlock disk. Unfortunately i did not get any lockrings with the hubs, but did get with the rotors (Shimano). Besides warranty issues (I bought the hubs second hand) is there a fundamental issue such as thread size and pitch etc? The Shimano lockrings did fit, i could thread them by hand. 

Edited by Knersboy

Thanks, it is a centerlock disk. Unfortunately i did not get any lockrings with the hubs, but did get with the rotors (Shimano). Besides warranty issues (I bought the hubs second hand) is there a fundamental issue such as thread size and pitch etc? The Shimano lockrings did fit, i could thread them by hand. 

If the Shimano lockring fits it would certainly point to there not necessarily being a compatibility issue, but there may be functionality issues down the line that would then no longer be covered by any warranty should you bought these hubs new

Hey Hubbers - Happy hump day!

In this post aimed at educating the DT community we discuss often perplexing names or abbreviations used by DT Swiss that are [mostly] unique to DT...

Spline: Refers to the hub/spoke interface being straightpull (Straight Pull Line)

Classic: Refers to the hub/spoke interface being J-bend

Rotor: Refers to the freehub body

DICUT: Refers to the hub/spoke interface being Diagonally Cut that uses proprietary T-head spokes

RWS: Stands for Ratcheting Wheel Skewer (thru axles and skewers with trademark adjustable lever)

Hybrid: Is the product range primarily used for E-bikes

PHR: "Pro Head Reinforcement" is the technology used in conjunction with certain nipples with the same abbreviation. 

Squorx: DT's top of the range rear drive nipples that is a blend between Double Square and Torx designs 

Prolock: The thread lock/spoke prep pre impregnated into nipples that carry the name "Prolock" or the abbreviation "PL" in their name

Haha - Good luck with trying to get DT Swiss specific tools from them, even aftermarket are like hens teeth and when you can get you will need to re-bond your house - Back in the day, even Johan Boringman from Yellow saddle had to initially make his own tools to service DT hubs. 

Personally and as a home mechanic i don't buy or work on any product or component that has DT Swiss on it, due to serviceability.

Oh, this gets me so F..$%^&...ing mad. I gave two sets of DT-S wheels and also do all my own maintenance on my four bikes - Can't change the farking bearings because the tool is so scarce - even shops will send you from pillar to post to find a workshop that has one - even then, they don't want to just remove the 'nut' for you - you must give them the job.

After these wheels, will never buy DT-S again !!!

Oh, this gets me so F..$%^&...ing mad. I gave two sets of DT-S wheels and also do all my own maintenance on my four bikes - Can't change the farking bearings because the tool is so scarce - even shops will send you from pillar to post to find a workshop that has one - even then, they don't want to just remove the 'nut' for you - you must give them the job.

After these wheels, will never buy DT-S again !!!

Sorry to hear that Max!

We carry very good stock of the tool in question and provide incentives to all dealers to carry it as it's an absolutely essential tool to have as a workshop.

If you'd like I can let you know the best stores to contact in your area who have this tool?

Alternatively I can ensure your preferred dealer is sent this tool asap?

Cheers

Hey Hubbers - Happy hump day!

In this post aimed at educating the DT community we discuss often perplexing names or abbreviations used by DT Swiss that are [mostly] unique to DT...

Spline: Refers to the hub/spoke interface being straightpull (Straight Pull Line)

Classic: Refers to the hub/spoke interface being J-bend

Rotor: Refers to the freehub body

DICUT: Refers to the hub/spoke interface being Diagonally Cut that uses proprietary T-head spokes

RWS: Stands for Ratcheting Wheel Skewer (thru axles and skewers with trademark adjustable lever)

Hybrid: Is the product range primarily used for E-bikes

PHR: "Pro Head Reinforcement" is the technology used in conjunction with certain nipples with the same abbreviation. 

Squorx: DT's top of the range rear drive nipples that is a blend between Double Square and Torx designs 

Prolock: The thread lock/spoke prep pre impregnated into nipples that carry the name "Prolock" or the abbreviation "PL" in their name

Thanks Marc, that cleared a few things up for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Where can I get the Special DT Swiss Grease.  JUST THE GREASE. Not the Star Rachet, not the Upgrade Kit, just the Potjie of Grease.

It's constantly out of stock.

Danie

Hi,

Where can I get the Special DT Swiss Grease.  JUST THE GREASE. Not the Star Rachet, not the Upgrade Kit, just the Potjie of Grease.

It's constantly out of stock.

Danie

Hi Danie,

If you're based Western Cape I can point you to any number of stores which have - I will DM you for your exact area. 

We typically carry good stock of this at all times and again, this falls under our essential spares program which we incentivize our dealers to carry.

Hey Hubbers,

Happy Heritage day - hope you're all getting the opportunity to spend time with family, and if you manage to get a ride in today too, well then you win!

Today's post from me is all about education, and to kick things off in this series of posts, I will aim at empowering you with understanding the sometimes confusing nomenclature of DT Swiss wheels so you can know exactly what type of technology you are rolling on...

So without further adieu, here is a simplified overview of the DT naming system:

The Numbers

Wondering what the "1501" in your XR 1501 wheels or the "391" in those nice XR 391 rims you have mean?

This is for three reasons:

1. The number indicated the performance level of the product. The lower the number, the higher the quality. Examples:

1200 wheels > 1501 wheels > 1700 wheels > 1900 wheels;

And likewise 180 hub > 240 hub > 350 hub > 370 hub

2. Closely tied with the first point. The numbers also dictate the hub technology and therefore overall cost of the wheels

• 1200 wheels = Top of range hubs (180 Ratchet EXP* with ceramic bearings)
  • 1501 wheels = High end hubs (240 Ratchet EXP* with high quality bearings)
  • 1700 wheels = Mid level hubs (350 Star Ratchet with standard bearings)
  • 1900 wheels = Entry point hubs (370 3pawl with standard bearings and steel parts)

3. Heritage: Stems from the original weight of the wheel/rim/hub when first introduced to market. (example: original XR 391 in 26" form was 390g) 

*All 1200 and 1501 wheels prior to 2020 used Star Ratchet technology. From 2020 onward, these wheels have been updated to the new Ratchet EXP technology

The Letters

Just like the numbers having a meaning the letters do too. It's pretty basic here. Each Letter refers to an aspect of the rim.

The First letter refers to the intended use/category:

Road has six categories/families with different intended uses: A/P/E/C/T/G or...

Aero (Aero wheels for Triathlon or TT racing etc) 

Perfomance (All rounders for most races) 

Endurace (For races like the Paris Roubaix where comfort is essential) 

Cross [road] (DT's name Cyclocross)

Track (Track racing in velodrome) 

Gravel (wider and deeper rims than the cyclocross range, updated to meet the demands of gravel touring)

MTB have five families of wheels: X/M/E/Fr/Br or....

Xross country (XCO and marathon) 

Mountain (Trail/ All mountain) 

Enduro (The racing format of all mountain) 

FreeRide (Downhill and Freeride)

Big Ride (Fat bikes) 

The Second letter [if any] refers to the rim being of a higher quality.

As a rim example from the Gravel family:

The G 540 rim is a sleeved rim and uses eyelet spoke holes while the GR 531 is a welded rim that uses thin wall technology requiring special washers instead of eyelets.

As a wheel example from the [all] Mountain family:

The XM 1501 wheelset uses a welded rim and washers, while the M 1700 wheelset is a sleeved rim with eyeleted spoke wholes.

The Third letter is always a "C" which of course stands for Carbon

XRC 1200, is the carbon Cross Country wheelset.

CRC 1400 is the carbon Cross Road wheelset.

ARC 1100 etc... 

So to conclude

X 1900 wheels use a 3pawl hub as it has the 1900 naming, it also has a a sleeved rim due to the single "X" naming along with price point materials to make the most affordable range in the XCO/XCM family.

X 1700 is always the start of the Star Ratchet equipped wheels identified by the "1700", uses sleeved rims (no second letter) and is fantastic for all round use.

XR 1501 is a Star Ratchet hub, using 240 hub technology, the additional letter "R" means it is now a welded rim and the "1501" means it's very light - DT's more premium alloy wheels.

XRC 1200 means it is an upgraded ratchet EXP hub technology with ceramic bearings (180 hub) Carbon rim because of the "C" and very light because of the "1200" designation. The top of the range wheels from DT Swiss piloted to many XCO and XCM race wins by the likes of Nino Schurter.

That's it guys, I know it's a lot to take in, but hopefully this will give you a good understanding of what technology you are currently rolling on when you are looking for spares, replacement parts or perhaps even considering upgrading.

If you're still not sure, head over to DT's very powerful product support page that can help you easily navigate through the plethora of products to find exactly what technology you're rolling on.

Cheers

What is the RRP on a set of M1900's?