MarcHD

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R290 x 4 = R1160.00 ex. labour .... looks like I am going the Enduro ABEC 3 route then, at least they still have a double seal.

R283.48 for the 4 x bearings, ex. shipping and labour

Keep in mind that they won't last as long , and how much effort it is to knock old bearings out and press new ones in.

If you do the work yourself, then only you can put a value on it.

Keep in mind that they won't last as long , and how much effort it is to knock old bearings out and press new ones in.

If you do the work yourself, then only you can put a value on it.

It will be a DIY, unless there are any special tools involved ... I will check the diagrams or find a tutorial before committing .

but they won't last as long because they're no angular contact. For bearings carrying side loads angular contact is the way to go.

Granted I do not know the history to the hubs whilst the bike was a demo bike and if a jet wash had any effect, but as it stands they did not last long into my ownership and I take particular care of how I clean my bikes.

Here's a tough one: can you supply one of those star ring removal tools at a price that is not astronomical.

I have more DT swiss hubs than I care to admit and enough friends that I am often working on them (the hubs, not the friends).

One thing I cannot do: a proper bearing service. Seems like I need this gizmo.

post-30841-0-17592900-1413840217.jpg

I could be wrong though, so please correct me if I am.

Sorry about image size.

You can buy this from, "Made in China"

It will cost you R300 including the 60 day shipping ????

Edited by Grass Muncher

You can buy this from, "Made in China"

It will cost you R300 including the 60 day shipping

Hope it's to the same tolerances as DT's and it's  also made out of high tensile steel

Hope it's to the same tolerances as DT's and it's also made out of high tensile steel

In the name of the backyard mechanic, the hammer and the cheap knock-off tools, Bless thou service for the local bike shop rips me off. Amen????

If that tool is too soft and I suspect it won't be at the same hardness as a Park, Unior or DT tool then it won't last and will damage you ring drive housing....

if servicing hubs for pals why not get them to chip in on the cost?

If that tool is too soft and I suspect it won't be at the same hardness as a Park, Unior or DT tool then it won't last and will damage you ring drive housing....

if servicing hubs for pals why not get them to chip in on the cost?

The drum ring is alloy and the tool is steel. Steel is stronger than alloy and that's all what matters.

My pals wont let me touch their bikes other than the brakes because the rest of their bikes will be blessed with a chisel and a hammer.

Edited by Grass Muncher

My opinion (based only on my own experience) is that many bike shops washing system is to blame for premature bearing failures: time is money, thus using a high pressure washer combined with too strong chemicals makes for unhappy bearings.

Especially around the cassette they use some chemicals that makes those cassettes sparkle like diamonds. Unfortunately those same chemicals can clean out the grease of a bearing as well...

Thus when my bike goes in I ensure its clean, and give clear instructions for them not to wash it, which normally means put a big freakin sticker on it!

This, and post-race bike washes, are the biggest killers of bearings, fork seals and pivot bushes. Even a regular garden hose will push past bearing seals, and a gentle flow of water and a soft bristle brush is all that's needed to wash a bike. 

Edited by GrahamS2

R290 x 4 = R1160.00 ex. labour .... looks like I am going the Enduro ABEC 3 route then, at least they still have a double seal.

R283.48 for the 4 x bearings, ex. shipping and labour

Hairy, have a look on Cogent industries website, they have SKF ABEC5 bearings for similar prices to rapide iirc, worth a look

I have a suspicion that Grass Muncher is a duplicate account of someone here that was purely created to causes drama. I picked up a little glitch where he/she/it replied to a thread in such a random fashion that it could only point to being logged in on the wrong account. 

At least I troll with my primary account