MarcHD

Hello fellow Hubbers,

This thread serves as the official DT Swiss forum/tech Q&A for the African cycling community.

As the official importer and distributor of DT Swiss in Africa, we at Get Stoked Distribution do our best to try keep track of any queries related to DT products on Bike Hub and answer them as swiftly and comprehensively as possible.

This being said, we feel it's much easier for many of you that there is a dedicated space where you can directly ask your questions or offer your thoughts.

You can find all our DT Swiss aftermarket products and many service products available to end consumers on our online portal: Get Stoked Online

We kindly ask you to respect the views of other hubbers and to try to keep your questions on topic - we are a community sharing the love of cycling after all...

Thanks, and looking forward to being of service to the DT Swiss community!

The Get Stoked team

Edited by MarcHD

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kicking things off, we would like to offer a very brief overview of the many riders out there who may be requiring assistance when it comes to DT Swiss parts or services.

As many of you may already know, DT Swiss is one of the most widely represented brands in the world due largely to it's use by many well known bike brand's as the source of things like hub internals, spokes, nipples or complete hubs and wheel sets. 

Some examples of brands which have used DT Swiss parts on their own brand of wheels, either in the past or still to the present day: (as of September 2020)

- Specialized's Roval wheels 

- Giant's own brand wheels 

- Scott's Syncros wheels

- Trek's Bontrager wheels

If you include brands which have at some point used, or continue to use non OEM DT parts (meaning a DT part you could purchase off the shelf) the list grows even bigger:

- Cannondale

- Santa Cruz

- Yeti

- KTM

- BMC

- Norco 

- Storck

- Commencal

- YT

- Ibis

- Rocky Mountain

- Pivot

- Niner

- Ellsworth

- Ridley

et al

If you are riding any model of bike, although usually from "mid tier" and up (R40k+ price range) from one of these brands, you are very likely rolling on some DT Swiss products.

It stands to reason we have done our best in researching our market well and do our best as a distributor to import as many of the applicable spares required for all of the aforementioned brands within reason.

Edited by MarcHD

Awesome initiative!

I'm running on DT Swiss 350 hubs with XM481 rim front and XM521 rear, so far been bomb proof combination

Killer combo! Rolling on EX511 / 350 myself!  :thumbup:

Any idea if the DtSwiss 360 internals from a Roval traverse 29 wheelset can be upgraded to the 54t ratchet? Read somewhere that you can’t?

Any idea if the DtSwiss 360 internals from a Roval traverse 29 wheelset can be upgraded to the 54t ratchet? Read somewhere that you can’t?

Hi there,

Thanks for your query!

While it is technically possible to change a 360 hub to a ratchet system (for which you can then upgrade to 54T) this is NOT advised, and will void any warranty your hub/wheels still have.

Think of it like putting a Ferrari motor into a Fiat, just because they are the same brand/company does not mean they are compatible or that either were designed for this.

360 hubs use the 3pawl forward drive system, and to upgrade your hub to a faster engagement would require replacing the entire hub to a Star Ratchet model (350, 240s) or a newer Ratchet EXP model (240, 180)

Hope this helps, sorry it's not the answer you were probably hoping for

Hi there,

Thanks for your query!

While it is technically possible to change a 360 hub to a ratchet system (for which you can then upgrade to 54T) this is NOT advised, and will void any warranty your hub/wheels still have.

Think of it like putting a Ferrari motor into a Fiat, just because they are the same brand/company does not mean they are compatible or that either were designed for this.

360 hubs use the 3pawl forward drive system, and to upgrade your hub to a faster engagement would require replacing the entire hub to a Star Ratchet model (350, 240s) or a newer Ratchet EXP model (240, 180)

Hope this helps, sorry it's not the answer you were probably hoping for

Thanks for the prompt reply. Helps a lot.

Thinking about this setup for my bike, probably a bit overkill, but rather safe than sorry...

If you're riding enduro, or you are hard on wheels (or both) I agree - it's better safe than sorry, and these guys are bomb proof!

For trail duties we will be launching the XM 481 (30mm trail rim) very soon in SA

Great initiative & perfectly timed!

I've got a pair of R470db road disc wheels with Axis hubs currently running thru axles.

Is it possible to convert them to QR?

Just bought a 2016 Cannondale Synapse disc & would like to use the DT Swiss wheels but the frame is QR...

Thanks!

Great initiative & perfectly timed!

I've got a pair of R470db road disc wheels with Axis hubs currently running thru axles.

Is it possible to convert them to QR?

Just bought a 2016 Cannondale Synapse disc & would like to use the DT Swiss wheels but the frame is QR...

Thanks!

Great to hear! 

Unfortunately while your rims and likely spokes and nipples are all DT products, the Axis hubs found on your wheels are their own brand independent of DT Swiss and we sadly do not offer any support for these hubs.

Your best bet would be to chat to your local Specialized dealer as I don't think there is an Axis agent in SA, however brands like Specialized, Giant and Scott will usually carry spares to support their clients in situations exactly like this.

If they can't help either - we would happily assist in any way we can with replacement hubs.

Worst case, you can also try an engineering company to machine the end caps for you, however QR in particular is a tricky one to get right!

Edited by MarcHD

Great to hear!

Unfortunately while your rims and likely spokes and nipples are all DT products, the Axis hubs found on your wheels are their own brand independent of DT Swiss and we sadly do not offer any support for these hubs.

Your best best would be to chat to your local Specialized dealer as I don't think there is an Axis agent in SA, however brands like Specialized, Giant and Scott will usually carry spares to support their clients in situations exactly like this.

If they can't help either - we would happily assist in any way we can with replacement hubs.

Worst case, you can also try an engineering company to machine the end caps for you, however QR in particular is a tricky one to get right!

Thanks for the prompt response.

Urgh, I was really hoping Axis hubs were just rebranded/parallel brand DT Swiss hubs.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Urgh, I was really hoping Axis hubs were just rebranded/parallel brand DT Swiss hubs.

No problem,

One of those spec choices made to try bring a bike within a certain price point - Specialized do the same with Joytech hubs on some of their MTB's

Here's a tough one: can you supply one of those star ring removal tools at a price that is not astronomical. 

I have more DT swiss hubs than I care to admit and enough friends that I am often working on them (the hubs, not the friends).

One thing I cannot do: a proper bearing service. Seems like I need this gizmo.

post-30841-0-17592900-1413840217.jpg

I could be wrong though, so please correct me if I am.

Sorry about image size.

Kicking things off, we would like to offer a very brief overview of the many riders out there who may be requiring assistance when it comes to DT Swiss parts or services.

As many of you may already know, DT Swiss is one of the most widely represented brands in the world due largely to it's use by many well known bike brand's as the source of things like hub internals, spokes, nipples or complete hubs and wheel sets. 

Some examples of brands which have used DT Swiss parts on their own brand of wheels, either in the past or still to the present day: (as of September 2020)

- Scott's Syncros wheels

If you include brands which have at some point used, or continue to use non OEM DT parts (meaning a DT part you could purchase off the shelf) the list grows even bigger:

- Cannondale

- Santa Cruz

- Yeti

- KTM

- BMC

- Norco 

- Storck

- Commencal

- YT

- Ibis

- Rocky Mountain

- Pivot

- Niner

- Ellsworth

- Ridley

et al

If you are riding any model of bike, although usually from "mid tier" and up (R40k+ price range) from one of these brands, you are very likely rolling on some DT Swiss products.

It stands to reason we have done our best in researching our market well and do our best as a distributor to import as many of the applicable spares required for all of the aforementioned brands within reason.

- Scott's Syncros wheels

- Cannondale

- Santa Cruz

- Yeti

- KTM

- BMC

- Norco 

- Storck

- Commencal

- YT

- Ibis

- Rocky Mountain

- Pivot

- Niner

- Ellsworth

- Ridley

et al