MTB Shoes, where can I try a fairly large Range

johanpre44

My almost 6 year old Specialized Sport MTB shoes are getting really old now (and the non-sticking Velcro can be very irritating when they pop loose mid ride). So I thought it's maybe a good idea to start looking for new shoes.

I was thinking of getting the Giro Guage Lace (seen prices as low as R1300 on some online stores). I have a pair of funny feet and really need to fit before I buy, but not sure where to find a pair to fit in the Westrand. I usually go to Cycle Lab, but Giro Privateer Lace is well over R2k (not in my budget). The other cycle shops I go to to get bits for my bike do not stock any cycling shoes.

Any suggestions for good laced MTB shoes that does not break the bank (+-R1500), or shops (Johannesburg, Westrand) that maybe stock a better variety of shoes compared to Cycle Lab?

Think I will make a plan to visit Specialized again and see what the cheaper 2FO and Tahoe is like, or maybe look at an XC shoe with Boa dial.

I have some Specialized Carbon MTB Shoes (bought in 2012) with velcro straps... super comfy. My straps also used to come undone. I bought some new velco strips (R30) , shaved off the soft side of the velcro on the shoe and glued (Bostik Super Contact Adhesive ) the new velcro on... been good for about a year now... Saved Postponed me replacing my for a couple more years.