Track racing

steve

Why isn't track racing more popular? It was an interesting and enjoyable day out  - JHB Grand Prix is next month.

I even tried to post a pic but was denied permission...............bliksem, didn't realise track racing was that unpopular!!!!

Ciao Steve,

I guess because most people do not want to go to the expense of purchasing a track bike without ever having ridden on the track before.

Little do they realize that most provinces have Lotto track bikes and basic coaching that are provided for free. The idea is to learn the basics on the Lotto bike and then you can get your own when you are hooked.

Ciao

PS Still can't see the pic you posted.

Ciao Steve' date='

I guess because most people do not want to go to the expense of purchasing a track bike without ever having ridden on the track before.

Little do they realize that most provinces have Lotto track bikes and basic coaching that are provided for free. The idea is to learn the basics on the Lotto bike and then you can get your own when you are hooked.

Ciao

PS Still can't see the pic you posted.

[/quote']

Can you not just take your normal roadbike out on the track the dirt couple of times. I realize track bikes are single speed and have no freewheel, but still.

Hello Daemon,

You can come to the track on your road bike. There are even races put on for those who don't YET have track bikes.A few pointers.Track bikes have one gear and it is fixed and this makes it dangerous to mix road and track bikes.On a fixed gear everyone rides more or less at the same speed in a pace line and there is little chance of the sudden stopping as with brakes. Usually track groups will ride in similar size gears so again from a safety point you travel close to the same speed in the paceline.If you have road gears guys are inclined to often be over geared for the group and results in the cosatina effect..... but by all means we want to see bums on bikes ...knowing that you may just like the track...

Not sure if they still do it, but HNP used to have a category for road bikes on the track on Sat. If you do use the spare track loan bikes, remember to take your own pedals.

Hello Daemon' date='

You can come to the track on your road bike. There are even races put on for those who don't YET have track bikes.A few pointers.Track bikes have one gear and it is fixed and this makes it dangerous to mix road and track bikes.On a fixed gear everyone rides more or less at the same speed in a pace line and there is little chance of the sudden stopping as with brakes. Usually track groups will ride in similar size gears so again from a safety point you travel close to the same speed in the paceline.If you have road gears guys are inclined to often be over geared for the group and results in the cosatina effect..... but by all means we want to see bums on bikes ...knowing that you may just like the track...[/quote']

Where and when are track session happening?

I allways said that there is no way i will ever do track but i am starting to change my mind!! Where do people ride track in Pta?

I allways said that there is no way i will ever do track but i am starting to change my mind!! Where do people ride track in Pta?

exactly what I want to know seeing that I am in pta as well? Anyone know if the track at Pilditch (spelling)

yeh i know the pillditch track, they used to race there alot but i think there is something wrong with it and they stopped the racing but a few people still go and ride there on Friday evenings.

I think Freddie Pienaar was trying to revive the track scene at Pilditch although I don't have any contact details for him unfortunatley. The Pilditch track has a couple of problems but is still rideable (even if it may seem a bit intimidating at first).

For the Jo'burg riders there is track league racing every Saturday at 14h00 (Hector Norris Park). If there are enough roadies who pitch then we'll put on a couple of races for them as well. All welcome.