Campagnolo unveil Ekar 1x13 lightweight gravel drivetrain

News bot

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not one to criticize Campy but no 50 ?!I need my granny gears

But I’m clueless with ratios so I’m guessing with the 9 the too end is sorted and with a smaller chainring it would still get my fat@arse up mountains

Edited by Waynemol

I dont even know where to start with my criticisms of this ...

Setting aside that the pricing will probably be astronomical and that the proprietary nature of campy in general will make this a really exclusive product. These are givens so ill try be realistic with my mockery:

1 - Honestly, a non direct mount crankset? The integrated spider looks horrible! (and probably a 91.2bcd to ensure no existing chainrings fit, and ill bet they reverse thread it or something silly to make it non-economical for 3rd parties to support it)

2 - 13 chainrings - wow! they got here first but, only a 44t big chain ring? Who needs 13 ratios to gravel grind, this is not road racing.

3 - The Cassette is Built on two blocks - SRAM mastered eagle with a single block cassette, meaning a far more solid construction (literally) no creeks. 

There is no doubt that this launch is targeted at the gravel crowd who are emerging from the exotic road crowd who want their exotic frames to be donned with exotic jewellery - i totally get it, for them SRAM or Shimano is just a non starter.

I dont even know where to start with my criticisms of this ...

Setting aside that the pricing will probably be astronomical and that the proprietary nature of campy in general will make this a really exclusive product. These are givens so ill try be realistic with my mockery:

1 - Honestly, a non direct mount crankset? The integrated spider looks horrible! (and probably a 91.2bcd to ensure no existing chainrings fit, and ill bet they reverse thread it or something silly to make it non-economical for 3rd parties to support it)

2 - 13 chainrings - wow! they got here first but, only a 44t big chain ring? Who needs 13 ratios to gravel grind, this is not road racing.

3 - The Cassette is Built on two blocks - SRAM mastered eagle with a single block cassette, meaning a far more solid construction (literally) no creeks. 

There is no doubt that this launch is targeted at the gravel crowd who are emerging from the exotic road crowd who want their exotic frames to be donned with exotic jewellery - i totally get it, for them SRAM or Shimano is just a non starter.

True, but like ferrari in F1 the cycling word needs Campy to be relevant in all market segments

Remember the last time they tried that?

ya well that was a dismal failure, not so much due to function,..........ok a lot as down to function, but its also twice the price of XTR and 10x more fragile

Okayyyyy, was I the only expecting a "600%" ratio from "13 gears" ..... 

Functionally this offers absolutely nothing that you cant get off the shelf now .... except super small gear ratios, for road use ....

But has been said above .... it is the "Farrari" of the cycling world, so sure there is already a long list of back orders.

It’s a gravel gruppo, it’s apparently going to be priced similarly to GXR and sram equivalent, it’s not going to have all the usual proprietary normal campy issues but of course there will be some as with many brands - it’s called protecting the brand comrades

Remember it’s rivals only offer 11 gears for gravel on their mechanic gruppos

Ffs guys do some homework before slamming the best gruppo company in the known universe

Ok that may have been a bit much but unless you’ve had Campagnolo then perhaps reserve judgement

It’s a bit like a gold XX1 chain - seems expensive till 10 000kms down the line

Edited by Waynemol

It’s a gravel gruppo, it’s apparently going to be priced similarly to GXR and sram equivalent, it’s not going to have all the usual proprietary normal campy issues but of course there will be some as with many brands - it’s called protecting the brand comrades

Remember it’s rivals only offer 11 gears for gravel on their mechanic gruppos

Ffs guys do some homework before slamming the best gruppo company in the known universe

Ok that may have been a bit much but unless you’ve had Campagnolo then perhaps reserve judgement

It’s a bit like a gold XX1 chain - seems expensive till 10 000kms down the line

Yoh dude it’s Sunday, no waging keyboard wars like that allowed!

Anyway it’s not like the exotics are dominating the Tour, o wait ...