Scam: Offshore oil rig worker

dhameer

Goodmorning

The guy contacted as this weekend with his email address and asked as to send him a email about the bike: See here:

Thanks for your email. I am really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin, only if you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pick up once I have made the payment.

Definetely still trying to trick people.

Thanks for reporting this.

I don't see any indication of this person contacting you via Bike Hub. Do you perhaps have your bike advertised on another platform too?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

This is a scam that has been going around your typical Gumtree type platforms. This petrochemical whatsimmicallit has responded to adds I have placed on gumtree on 2 occasions. Always the same copied and pasted story.

Simply ignore him and he'll go away. He NEVER pushes a deal and always employs the exact same modus operandi. He wants you to engage with him outside the online portal, hence he requests you to send him a personal e-mail. He obviously does not want to leave any traces or audit trail of his communications with you via your online provider, ie Gumtree, TheHub, etc. He always makes contact via SMS or from a phantom whatsapp account. He never argues or negotiate the price. As a matter of fact he offers you your price plus shipping via Aramex. He offers to buy stuff for somebody else(cousin) without first checking if it works or is in a condition worth his "money".

Run some key words on google and you will find this to be a very old scam. Goes away for a year or so - then resurfaces. The oil rig engineers are notorious for online dating scams as well - ripping desperate ladies off big time with stories you can see coming from a mile away.

Keep your :eek: peeled !

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I just had this experience.

A guy whatsapped me from 0764172491 and asked me to email him some more photos of the Trek bike that I'm selling.

His Email address was; smitc12@yahoo.com, and he goes by the name of Christopher Smit

He sends me this message after some discussion on the bike.

I am really interested in buying the Trek bike as a surprise for my cousin, only if you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin, so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So, let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pickup agent will be coming for the pickup once I have made the payment.

This is copied and pasted from the email he sent.

Just a warning, this guy is VERY likely to be a scammer and if you get anything from him beware!

This was probably from my Gumtree ad, as I posted an add on Gumtree in addition to my bikehub ad.

Is it the same guy with the oil rig story or was it just a module taught in ecos 419 at Lagos university? It sounds so hilarious but somehow it is clearly still working

If it is just one guy, some detective work could track him down

I think I first saw this scam on gumtree back in 2010, same old same old, obviously some people are still falling for it...

Hi guys, I just had this experience.

A guy whatsapped me from 0764172491 and asked me to email him some more photos of the Trek bike that I'm selling.

His Email address was; smitc12@yahoo.com, and he goes by the name of Christopher Smit

He sends me this message after some discussion on the bike.

I am really interested in buying the Trek bike as a surprise for my cousin, only if you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin, so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So, let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pickup agent will be coming for the pickup once I have made the payment.

This is copied and pasted from the email he sent.

Just a warning, this guy is VERY likely to be a scammer and if you get anything from him beware!

Just a warning.

The Guy is a scammer!

Read the original post you does.

OP says the oke is very likely to be a scammer.

I didnt think likely was necessary.

A scammer. Period

I agree! Scammer.

I was scammed once with this story, and it's not going to happen again :excl:  :ph34r: :thumbdown:  

Been there, paid the school fees, and it's left me a pretty cynical person and I have to really make an effort within myself to give people in these kind of situations (buy/sell) the benefit. Almost always leaves me feeling dirty - protect myself at all costs.

Blue Monday here... moving on...

I have a few simple rules when selling. I won't respond to a "please call me" - If you ain't got the money to call me you can't afford it.

I don't respond to a "please mail me at etc etc"...its either a voice call, can be after a whatsapp or three but always has to have a voice call. its pref face to face cash only or if you must EFT, funds must be cleared and available for me to draw before I part company with item.

These over-compliacetd processes where you must open this account or that are either too much trouble or a scam...or both so move on!