Stripping dried Stans (?) from near-new 2Bliss Spez ground control tyre

Zebra

thanks, all...

this is NOT a light covering, but proper, solid pieces, etc, I have managed to scrape of a handful from just one part of the tire, not trying to save micrograms here, just there REALLY is a lot of it...!

Will report progress here as I get the time; but power-washer is next!

JBK: Hout Bay based, but thanks for the tip, may try that out!

Chris

post-1199-0-71047100-1601382021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zebra

thanks, all...

this is NOT a light covering, but proper, solid pieces, etc, I have managed to scrape of a handful from just one part of the tire, not trying to save micrograms here, just there REALLY is a lot of it...!

Will report progress here as I get the time; but power-washer is next!

JBK: Hout Bay based, but thanks for the tip, may try that out!

Chris

Have you used CO2 cartridges to inflate that tyre ? I wonder if that's caused the slime to go so bad...

Try the ecologic - apply undiluted and leave to soak for a little while - let me know...

Ok, 8-odd minutes with a power washer took 90% of what I needed gone, away!

The bit it did not remove was the depression where the material - at its thickest - Latin a ‘puddle’ for sometime, the pressure washer did not remove that 1/16th of the tire, not bad!

I am soaking that area with a bit of clean green after reading up on it, will report back on the last 1/16th,and obviously flush and inspect.

Power washer did better than I expected, in around 5% (?) of the time it would take to pick away at it; I tried the rough sponge/rough cloth previously, without much/any success.

Edited by Zebra

Ok, 8-odd minutes with a power washer took 90% of what I needed gone, away!

The bit it did not remove was the depression where the material - at its thickest - Latin a ‘puddle’ for sometime, the pressure washer did not remove that 1/16th of the tire, not bad!

I am soaking that area with a bit of clean green after reading up on it, will report back on the last 1/16th,and obviously flush and inspect.

Power washer did better than I expected, in around 5% (?) of the time it would take to pick away at it; I tried the rough sponge/rough cloth previously, without much/any success.

Will give that a go next time.

Yup, it bloody pain in the @#$%^&

What I do - wrap a cloth around screw driver - insert into electric drill - clamp drill - hold tyre against spinning cloth

Not quick solution ! - BUT i use the finer bits that come off, to add to my home-made tyre sealant.

(ps. **** goes everywhere - your hair, arm hair, ceiling,floor, door - so get your oldest T-shirt and if you have hairy legs and arms; you will need long sleeve shirt on trousers)

post-30607-0-57421800-1601481829_thumb.jpg

post-30607-0-62217900-1601481831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Max Headroom

The young appy bike mechanic at my local LBS told me once that soaking the inside of the tyre with coke (coca cola) helps to loosen up the stubborn bits, he would hang the tyre up and pour enough coke in to fill up 3/4 of the tyre at the bottom, let it soak and rotate until the whole tyre has been "treated".

The longer you soak it, the better, and then he would scrub the inside of the tyre a long handle dish scrubbing brush, apparently it comes off very easy. 

Never tried it myself, I used to scrub the tires in the bath...pain in the ass and eventually stopped using tire sealants...we don't have sharp rocks or big thorns here  :clap:

The young appy bike mechanic at my local LBS told me once that soaking the inside of the tyre with coke (coca cola) helps to loosen up the stubborn bits, he would hang the tyre up and pour enough coke in to fill up 3/4 of the tyre at the bottom, let it soak and rotate until the whole tyre has been "treated".

The longer you soak it, the better, and then he would scrub the inside of the tyre a long handle dish scrubbing brush, apparently it comes off very easy. 

Never tried it myself, I used to scrub the tires in the bath...pain in the ass and eventually stopped using tire sealants...we don't have sharp rocks or big thorns here  :clap:

and you and add the coke to klippies after

I swopped a tire for a friend and found Alien breeding inside...it weights 1.35kg...originally 600g.

Straight to the dumpster

post-15475-0-76610400-1601542006_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mohs

I swopped a tire for a friend and found Alien breeding inside...it weights 1.35kg...originally 600g.

Straight to the dumpster

Bliksem, I will get nightmares from that !  One advantage is "advanced" puncture protection ...   :D

Edited by Theog

Revisited my tyre yesterday, re-tried power washer in the daylight; not as effective asi thought when first trying it at night (!), so tried the screwdriver in cordless drill tip from another Huber, now THAT works, but takes concentration!

Probably not worth the effort, as others mention, but a lekker challenge, in this throw-away age!

I used kitchen scouring pads rather than cloth, quite effective!

Chris