MTB Tyre Combo's

CobusD

It is and it isn't...

In Summer in Cape Town I run my 2.3/2.4 MTB tires at 1.8 bar.

The trails are blown out, rocky and exposed.

The extra 2 seconds I would gain running softer isn't worth the risk of pinch flats and destroyed rims. At 1000zar a tire and even more for a rim I'm happy to 'lose' performance and keep myself rolling.

In winter I might drop the pressures to 1.6 on the front and 1.7 on the rear.

I'm also 75kg, so I'm not a heavy. As someone who is not a pro but has years and years of experience, I choose reliability over gainz.

I agree with you regarding higher pressure to protect rims, in fact many bike shops are now advising against low pressure (<1.8bar) with carbon rims although the general sentiment out on the trails seems to still be for lower pressures.

My worry with to hard though is comfort and punctures due to sharp rocks that a lower pressure tyre would roll over.

I pretty much aim for 1.7 don't and 1.8 rear.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you regarding higher pressure to protect rims, in fact many bike shops are now advising against low pressure (<1.8bar) with carbon rims although the general sentiment out on the trails seems to still be for lower pressures.

My worry with to hard though is comfort and punctures due to sharp rocks that a lower pressure tyre would roll over.

I pretty much aim for 1.7 don't and 1.8 rear.

I am 105kg, trail bike, ride pretty rocky stuff. 1.6 bar at the back, 1.5 front, carbon rims. I do put a cushcore in the back though. Standard grid or exo casings, nothing reinforced.

No issues yet...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• 4 months later...
On 4/3/2021 at 8:05 PM, JBK said:

I think you mean Vittoria and not Victoria... LOL...

Most people (myself included) run the BARZO as a front tyre and the Mezcal as a rear...

Cape Cobra editions only...

The aggressor is designed as a rear but it works beautifully as a front in SA conditions. Very predictable and consistent grip. Rolls fast too.

Anyone got any more info on the Aggressor as a front? I'm keen to give it a try. I've heard some say the grip in corners is not good for a front tyre. Those who've used one, what's it like in dry, dusty and rocky conditions?

Edited by SeanW
Missed a piece of the quote