Any of you have home aquaruims?

I grew up with 2 fish tanks. My Dad had both fresh water and salt water tanks. They were both 300L tanks.

My folks have just bought my lighties a little 60L tank and we have stocked it with a few gold fish for now. So far the kids are loving it. If they really do continue enjoying the fish then we will upgrade to a proper big tank. My wife has also taken to the fish and the tank and likes it as a feature in our lounge.

So this thread is for any of you with tanks, tips, ideas etc.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to watch show on DSTV called Tanked. Here's a few of their clips on YouTube, for ideas or inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tanked+tv+show+full+episodes

yeah look, Tanked do it on a completely different level.

It also helps that they have maintenance crews looking after those tanks for the clients.

The little bit I know about aquariums is that they can get very maintenance heavy, especially when you go salt water.

It also helps that they have maintenance crews looking after those tanks for the clients.

The little bit I know about aquariums is that they can get very maintenance heavy, especially when you go salt water.

Only heavy if you miss the maintenance. Then it spirals and once it's gone, it's challenging to get it back. 

Otherwise, marine is the way

TBH salt water isn't that bad, Initially it can be a bit more work but once everything is settled it's really not bad. It is a bit more expensive though. Both require weekly maintenance but it's not that hectic.

From my days with fish I found that the bigger tanks are the easiest to maintain.

A small bacteria in a small tank quickly gets out of hand. Not so much in a big tank.

Loved my 250l tank. You can get some really nice fresh water fish

Yes agreed, Also the fish don't mind water changes so much in bigger tanks, especially when you have sensitive fish.

So the guys with bigger more expensive setups, with load shedding being such a common thing, 12V is the way to go for pumps etc.

I currently am running the normal 220v but I won't even consider 220v when we upgrade. 12v ftw.

I kept tanks for 20 years. Best advise is water changes and location. Don't put the tank in a very bright area, especially in full sun.

I've heard the same thing from someone else :thumbup:

Only heavy if you miss the maintenance. Then it spirals and once it's gone, it's challenging to get it back. 

Otherwise, marine is the way

Yeah, when my Dad had his marine, the only thing he really complained about was the cost of food. He had a Lionfish so it chowed fish. He either had to try breed some fish for it to eat or simply go buy cheap fish.

I kept tanks for 20 years. Best advise is water changes and location. Don't put the tank in a very bright area, especially in full sun.

Yeah the fish do like dark time, just like humans. Also if the water temp fluctuates a lot they can get stressed. Fish bought from a shop are normally used to a constant temp and very little natural light.

I had cichlids a while ago. Some really beautiful options out there. It's a great hobby.

I know Marines have a high start up cost but after that they require less maintenance.

Nope, big suprise there. I had a 1.8m marine aquarium a few years back, it is a money pit. You have supplements, replacement of lights(for the corals), salt for water changes, replacement filters for the RO unit. Nice to have, but be prepared to spend BIG TIME. there is a forum for aquarium lovers, www.marineaquariumsa.co.za

Nope, big suprise there. I had a 1.8m marine aquarium a few years back, it is a money pit. You have supplements, replacement of lights(for the corals), salt for water changes, replacement filters for the RO unit. Nice to have, but be prepared to spend BIG TIME. there is a forum for aquarium lovers, www.marineaquariumsa.co.za

https://www.marineaquariumsa.com/

Link to the forum.

Yeah I remember my Dad saying it was costly. IICR the fish are also a lot more.