Advice on Hardtail Purchase

Heinrichgg

Hi all

My mate is looking to get a hard tail to replace his 20yr old 26er. Second hand market not working out well as he's an extra large. Also nice to get something new once you've set your heart on it.

Narrowed down to two options:

Specialized Chisel

Scott Scale 965

My gut feel is that the Scott is much better value with the SLX groupset. Suspension seems similar, as do brakes, wheels and frame.

However, I don't like the pressfit BB92 on the Scott, as my understanding is that pressfit is a swearword, even though I've never had it on the bike, whereas the Chisel has BSA.

Any feedback or user experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

also..people hate pressfit because they buy R5.00 bottom brackets and hope for the best.

Sure...PF30 was made to address the inadequacies of bb30 but it is also already ancient by todays standards. My mtb uses a pf30 BB and I can honestly say that other than the mild annoyance of needing a press to take it in and out for whatever reason....it has been flawless since the day it was fitted...but it's a proper example of a pf30 bb too lol. 

What kind of riding is he intending to do?

Geometry is the one thing you can't upgrade later.

We do cross country - red trails and shitting ourselves through black bits every now and then. Will probably do some of the common mtb races, like the 947 etc.

Does anyone know whether either of these can accommodate a dropper post down the line?

Hi all

My mate is looking to get a hard tail to replace his 20yr old 26er. Second hand market not working out well as he's an extra large. Also nice to get something new once you've set your heart on it.

Narrowed down to two options:

Specialized Chisel

Scott Scale 965

My gut feel is that the Scott is much better value with the SLX groupset. Suspension seems similar, as do brakes, wheels and frame.

However, I don't like the pressfit BB92 on the Scott, as my understanding is that pressfit is a swearword, even though I've never had it on the bike, whereas the Chisel has BSA.

Any feedback or user experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

I do not have a very broad experience on hardtails. I did, however, purchase a new Chisel Comp x1 (2019 model that has SLX + RockShox Judy Gold) earlier this year. Have done plenty XC rides on it and the geometry is really great. I am still hesitant, though, to do any aggressive rides on it. The frame seems more orientated to being lightweight than tough. As an XC bike it has been a joy to ride and would probably fit the bill for most XC races. 

Would be great if you could also hear from some Scott Scale riders to get a balanced view.