Fitting Thule ProRide to a roofrack

thehoof

I've just picked up a Titan Cypher  :clap:  and now I'm looking for an easy way to get it around...

Is it possible to fit the Thule ProRide to a roof rack? I know it has 2 mounting points on each end... Does anyone know what the space between the points is? Is there any adjustment? Has anyone done something like this before?

Cheers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely adjustable, they are made for roof racks

If I remember correctly, they recommend 550mm-750mm between the roof racks

Edited by Chadvdw67

Congrats on the new bike.

As stated before, the proride is designed for a roof rack. Are your roof racks aero or square? If aero, do they have the slot in them? You may just need to change the fittings that connect the proride to the roof rack.

I am running the thule aero bars on my wifes car and the thule square bars on my bakkie. Need to change the fittings each time but it is so quick and easy.

Facepalm moment....

It's a full rack... not load bars...

The slats run North-South, and have 2 channels to fit M6 bolts, but need to know if the ProRide mounting points are adjustable East-West...

Apologies for the confusion

Facepalm moment....

It's a full rack... not load bars...

The slats run North-South, and have 2 channels to fit M6 bolts, but need to know if the ProRide mounting points are adjustable East-West...

Apologies for the confusion

I think we need pictures

North to South meaning they run along the length of the car? Front to back? Then I don't think they will fit, go past a Thule store, they are very helpful and will be able to tell you what you can or can't do

North to South meaning they run along the length of the car? Front to back? Then I don't think they will fit, go past a Thule store, they are very helpful and will be able to tell you what you can or can't do

yeah I think what he is describing are the factory fitter roof bars running the length of the vehicle.

Bike racks wont fit on that, you'll need the cross bars.

Those will be around 4k for a set of aero bars from Thule.

Needing an M6 bolt its probably a Mazda CX5

The Thule "cross bars" have slots to allow you to move the racks side to side.  Once fitted in place, you cut a rubber strip to length, and cover the slot.

Look at the "bolt" on your bike rack, you will note the bottom section that must slide in the roof rack cross bars.

This concept of sliders is used in most 4x4 roof racks to mount stuff.

A picture is worth a thousand posts... Should have done this earlier.

Sorry :(attachicon.gifIMG_20200929_162533213_HDR.jpg

JIP :)

Your roof rack DO have slots for tied down bolts  :thumbup:

If the Thule bolt heads dont fit into the holes provided you may have to use similar length bolts with heads suitable for the roof rack.

PS - you can see the "hole" in the slot in your photo - middle segment, at the bottom of the photo

Edited by ChrisF

JIP :)

Your roof rack DO have slots for tied down bolts  :thumbup:

If the Thule bolt heads dont fit into the holes provided you may have to use similar length bolts with heads suitable for the roof rack.

PS - you can see the "hole" in the slot in your photo - middle segment, at the bottom of the photo

Thanks ChrisF... 

Just wondering if the ProRide feet will fit... 

This is the "Thule bolt" below the bike rack.

The typical 4x4 roof rack sliders use more standard bolts.  You can buy it at any 4x4-fitment shop.  Just check the bolt length, size AND the thread pitch.  Best to take the Thule bolt with you.

post-110956-0-01749400-1601391379_thumb.jpg

PS - sorry for the poor photo quality .... 

Assuming that this picture was taken from the side of the car the ProRide will fit

From the front looking back... you're seeing the left side and back of the roof rack

From the front looking back... you're seeing the left side and back of the roof rack

Okayyyy ... that might be a bit of a problem.

The base of the Thuli bikerack is wide, to manage sideward sway. So if you are going to mount it "length wise" on the slats of your roof rack it wont cope with the side sway.

BUT, for each problem there IS a solution ....  :thumbup:

Mount the normal Thule cross bars onto your roof rack, using the typical roof rack bolts.

Now slide the Thule bike racks into the Thule cross bars ....