Pure Savage

We came in 9 with 3 ladies and 6 gents finishing. Lost one to cramps and we had a few minor mechanicals. Mostly we were under cooked going in. 7:07

The headwind into Robertson had us travelling at 25km/hr at times.

garmin recorded at 40degree temp too!

I polished off 4.5L of drinks on the bike and another 1.5L at the stops.

Bring on 2021

That's a good time for a mixed team.

Well done

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We came in 9 with 3 ladies and 6 gents finishing. Lost one to cramps and we had a few minor mechanicals. Mostly we were under cooked going in. 7:07

The headwind into Robertson had us travelling at 25km/hr at times.

garmin recorded at 40degree temp too!

I polished off 4.5L of drinks on the bike and another 1.5L at the stops.

Bring on 2021

Well done! Is that 07:07 before subtracting the neutral zones I assume? We were the 10th mixed team over the line at 07:06 Racetec time.

Will post a bit more about our race later, busy packing up in Swellendam..

Grateful event still went ahead in these times... Kudos to making it happen without a headline sponsore too.

The fastest go first format will be the death to this event (if it continues next year)

Such a different experience for all except 3 teams actually competing for the win.

We finished at around noon, it was 38 degrees in the shade. Felt for the guys that was out there till late afternoon. Must of been a horrible experience and a day to forget for many.

I rode in one of the faster teams starting relatively early. From my perspective the race was definitely much safer than previous years, no mass bunches forming, no looking out for who is speeding in from behind while trying to pass a slow bunch ahead. First year ever I didn't see any crashes or their aftermaths (not saying there weren't any). We also had great weather, when the big winds came up we were already making our way back from Robertson.

That said, we spent most of the race completely on our own. Makes it tougher when you have to work the paceline all the time instead of freeloading behind the savages mass bunch  :ph34r: & at many times felt more like a hard training ride in the countryside. There was no atmosphere. I got dropped just after Robertson, was a long 70km solo ride home, I think 3 teams passed me in the last 2,5 hours soloing. (I was hoping some bunches will come by to hook up with but every time I looked behind me just depressing vast emptiness..)

Racetec time 6:02, easily my toughest DC ever.

The fastest go first format will be the death to this event (if it continues next year)

I can understand and appreciate why they changed the format for this year, but yes, the social rider who is likely to ride 8 to 10 hours is just not equipped for those conditions.

No water or cokes at finish. Very poor. I know it is covid, but for R12000 entry fee they could have had bottled water at finish.

I thought the braai pack was quite redeeming though? They literally packed a kitchen and meet for the tram in a box, really well thought out from Food lovers.

The bottomless Named Sport HydraFit did wanders, must have smashed 6l of the stuff yesterday. Don’t forget to use the promo code DC2020 for 15% discount off your named sport product purchase. ????

Feel your pain, got stung in the ear......

there were lots of casualties, think few teams pulled out completely... the earlier teams says they had no wind, just bit after ashton till turn downwind.,

Got stung in the right ear too, luckily a Marshall standing nearby had a pocket knife on hand to do open ear-canal stinger surgery, he managed to get most of the sack removed, but the little bit that got in hurt like a mother-trucker ????

That was an interesting day out!
We started just after 5:30, which was great as those temps rose very quickly!
Wind was a saving grace once you reached the Robertson circle - hellish before that though.

Roads were quite, which has pro's and con's.
We finished with 9, so didn't get the Charles Milner medal (felt sorry for my team mate, but was bummed about not finishing together). 

I love the team spirit which comes out in these events and how people dig so deep and show so much character to finish. The strong guys in our team were just amazing - pushing guys on the last 30 km.

We call the red steel bridge 'The Gates to Mordor' as the scenery and atmosphere really takes a dive - as if things weren't hard enough, there were kids throwing (or shooting) stones and apples at the groups going past. A few of us got hit. No damage, but really sore!

Congrats to everyone who finished.

Bummed for our local Savage celebrity who had to abandon with a slashed tyre. You really need to see a priest and be cleansed of you run of bad luck!

That was an interesting day out!

We started just after 5:30, which was great as those temps rose very quickly!

Wind was a saving grace once you reached the Robertson circle - hellish before that though.

Roads were quite, which has pro's and con's.

We finished with 9, so didn't get the Charles Milner medal (felt sorry for my team mate, but was bummed about not finishing together). 

I love the team spirit which comes out in these events and how people dig so deep and show so much character to finish. The strong guys in our team were just amazing - pushing guys on the last 30 km.

We call the red steel bridge 'The Gates to Mordor' as the scenery and atmosphere really takes a dive - as if things weren't hard enough, there were kids throwing (or shooting) stones and apples at the groups going past. A few of us got hit. No damage, but really sore!

Congrats to everyone who finished.

Bummed for our local Savage celebrity who had to abandon with a slashed tyre. You really need to see a priest and be cleansed of you run of bad luck!

I did not abandon in the end. :) I just got to add a 5km park run in Ashton along with my DC. My friends know how much I despise running so thought that was hillarious. The third burst tube did force me to send the team on without me from the first stop having punctured 7km from Montagu. 

With the reverse order I did manage to have a lekker chat to our racing mixed team and as they were going for podium I waved them on their way as did not want to get caught up in any issues. Not like they needed me coming in second!

I changed the tyre to a gatorskin that was in the social savage support car and a new tube. I then rode with all my mates in the social savage team until I got another puncture in the new gatorskin just before the valley of death. They, in Savage fashion threw a tube and bomb at me and rode away into the sunset. I then had a lonely ride over the last 25km thinking how blessed I was to be riding my bike in my favourite event only 2 weeks after being run over by a car and not being able to stand up after the attack. 

I even got to ride a few of the sisters with a good friend from the Cape Town Giants, so I think I rode with everyone I ride to Chappies with on Saturday. 

My personal time if you take out the long picnic waiting for Pure Savage Average, changing 4 punctures and my 6km park run 5:36. Oh 2020 you have been a doozie.

Edited by Pure Savage

Came in 5:04, 7th, we started well, then got caught behind some teams before Tradouw then smashed it towards Montagu. We had a popped spoke and puncture, so left Ashton with 8 riders. Started losing a few Savages on the Valley of Death and hit the sisters with 5. Great ride and a big day out for all the Savages. 

Think it was safer racing as you were not constantly catching slower teams that sit on and end up with groups of 100+, was closer racing and enjoyed it. 

The alarm at 3:15 was tough though.

It's been a while since I've been on The Hub - thanks 2020.

Anyway, what another cool Double Century, except for that early start.

I loved open roads, the non-neutral 2nd stop, the heat and tailwind home. But above all, I loved racing my bike again with mates. DC weekend is always special.

I know it was *** hot and windy out there for the later starters, but this format is definitely better for the racing teams (although it's also much harder as there is nothing but open road for miles and miles ahead - no strategic drafting at all!). It's safer, it's fairer and it's more strategic.

Not having a finishing venue or post race vibe was weird, but I guess this is the new normal. Nothing that a little team braai can't fix.

Anyway, to everyone who rode, whether you finished or not, well done. It was tough out there yesterday, but that's what we expect from the Double Century. If it was any easier, we'd have more golfers riding bikes.

I'll try to get a race report together later in the week (I haven't written one of these since the end of January).

I did not abandon in the end. :) I just got to add a 5km park run in Ashton along with my DC. My friends know how much I despise running so thought that was hillarious. The third burst tube did force me to send the team on without me from the first stop having punctured 7km from Montagu. 

With the reverse order I did manage to have a lekker chat to our racing mixed team and as they were going for podium I waved them on their way as did not want to get caught up in any issues. Not like they needed me coming in second!

I changed the tyre to a gatorskin that was in the social savage support car and a new tube. I then rode with all my mates in the social savage team until I got another puncture in the new gatorskin just before the valley of death. They, in Savage fashion threw a tube and bomb at me and rode away into the sunset. I then had a lonely ride over the last 25km thinking how blessed I was to be riding my bike in my favourite event only 2 weeks after being run over by a car and not being able to stand up after the attack. 

I even got to ride a few of the sisters with a good friend from the Cape Town Giants, so I think I rode with everyone I ride to Chappies with on Saturday. 

My personal time if you take out the long picnic waiting for Pure Savage Average, changing 4 punctures and my 6km park run 5:36. Oh 2020 you have been a doozie.

Very glad to hear that you carried on and finished - even if it was the 2020 Bear Grylls Survivor Amazing Race Eliminator edition.

Kudos!

Well done! Is that 07:07 before subtracting the neutral zones I assume? We were the 10th mixed team over the line at 07:06 Racetec time.

Will post a bit more about our race later, busy packing up in Swellendam..

7:07:49 racetec time....we came in behind you. Still have to get our result fixed as one of our ladies chips was not picked up.