Some ideas for traveling in the Eastern Cape

Help.Me.

Are you familiar with the Komoot app? It’s excellent for planning routes and navigation. The desktop interface is much better for planning though.

if you have a data connection the live navigation is also good, but it obviously chows battery. You can download your planned routes, and put them into any gps, but komoot also intergrates with the newer Garmin devices. It is by far the best route planning software currently available for cycling 

thanks will have a look at that !!

Sorry, little bit of a thread hijack.

I will also be doing some riding, starting off in the same area over december. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/187024-enduring-4-echo-1000km-solo-ride-in-aid-of-echo-youth/

Will be doing a 1000km Solo ride from St Francis lighthouse, to Cape Point, over a 2 week period, and hoping to use it as a chance to raise some funds for Echo Youth Development via Backabudddy. 

Give it a look, give me your thoughts, and even come along and join me for a section of the ride if I am passing through your valley

If you want to add more distance after Willowmore, consider the road towards Uniondale, which is prettier, but also much busier. Uniondale is still in decent shape.

An alternative from Willowmore is to ride the R407 - the road that runs along the northern side of the Swartberg to Klaarstroom and then finish via Meiringspoort at De Rust.

Edited by eddy

An alternative from Willowmore is to ride the R407 - the road that runs along the northern side of the Swartberg to Klaarstroom and then finish via Meiringspoort at De Rust.

That is actually in very good nick at the moment. Of the 90 something odd kilometres, there is only a short +- 10 km stretch in the middle that is a little bumpy, the rest is perfect gravel bike stuff. Very quiet and beautiful, almost desolate and secluded except for one or two farmsteads. When I went through there 2 weeks ago I encountered only one other vehicle, a farm bakkie, on the whole stretch. Klaarstroom also has a couple of good guest houses and the hotel has a mean Sunday lunch that people drive from far away for.

Edited by DJR