Full Service Pricing Ripoff?

MC23

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish all of this work on my bike would only cost R6833...

Ā 

DR is likely correct that R1700 would be for labour only. Depending on what bike you have, the parts costs obviously vary hugely so it's very difficult to say. Finding a suspension kit online for R500 doesn't really mean anything, this cost is completely dependent on what rear shock or fork you have.

Ā 

As an example, my last full overhaul of my Pike was around R2k if I remember correctly (probably more now), rear Deluxe is probably R1500, and a Command dropper could be around R2k also. Let's not get started on the cost of Eagle cassettes and chains, it makes me want to cry...

Hi

I need some help and advice.

I booked my bike to be serviced at a shop that quoted me the cheapest on a full service including suspension.Ā 

I was told R1700 excluding all replacement parts. And now the are asking for a whole lot more.Ā  here's what they sent me.

Just to help break down the service

rear shock service seal kit +oil R1302,fork service seals plus oil R859,Pivot bearings R1423, new cluster R939.90,new chain R479,90 and cables R130 and then labour charge of R1700

Ā 

Surely some of these costs should be covered? And after doing some googling it seems they are charging alot for the Suspension parts and oils. Am I that uneducated about this stuff and these prices are fair or am I actually being overcharged.Ā 

It pisses me off that when i phoned for a quote and even checked that suspension was part of it the didnt tell me about any of this...Ā 

I also found suspensions kits online for >R500 and the are trying to charge me almost double for both.Ā Ā 

Ā 

What do you guys think about this? Should I go ahead with this service? should I fight? Should I go somewhere else?Ā 

feel free to ask me any questions.

Look on the bright side ... it sounds like they have quoted you on the works prior to starting on it!

Ā 

Some shops just do the work and fit the parts, then give you a nice surprise later down the road.

No, you weren't ripped off. Taken advantage of is probably a more accurate description. Learn to service yourself and save tons. You likely do notĀ need half of what you are being charged for from my own previous experiences. I have believed the line I got fed previously and ended up buying a new Eagle groupset, despite the set I had only needing a derailler hanger....

I am not so sure that new pivot bearings are needed unless your bike is completely trashed, but I am sure some LBS will insist that parts are needed to be replaced at intervals that will make your eyes and wallets bleed. Big profits are made in the servicing departments.

isnt this the price you pay for giving up on golf ?Ā  ^_^Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

but seriously the prices on some MTB services at some bikeshops are insane and they seem to be taking the piss especially with guys new to the sport who they assume they can take advantage ofĀ Ā  :thumbdown:Ā 

All the prices looks correct. Fork service +-R900 would think shock service would be about the same but could differ. As for pivots be glad it's not a Santa Cruz.. Part prices have skyrocketed in the past months a cassette I bought in December for R900 is now on sale for R1300.

But yes if you were expecting to pay 1700 and end up with that bill it would be shocking.

900 bucks for a fork service is about right? R1300 for the rear shock seems a bit pricey but all the rest is pretty accurate.

Ā 

Add on 4 hours labour and you have 1700zar...

Ā 

Dunno. Everyone wants 'expert' and 'qualified' service done on their bikes but only want to pay for a monkey with a wrench.

Ā 

Maybe take it somewhere else and see what they say?

Ā 

Time is one of those commodities people don't seem to value, but time is a mechanics bread and butter.

Ā 

So unless you can do it yourself outside (or during) your own work hours, expect to be chargedĀ  proper hourly rate for someone to do it during their work hours.

Ā 

That way if it isn't done properly you always have recourse.Ā 

Depends on how much a DIY'er you are but why don't you see what the cost is for the suspension service and the pivot bearings and do the the chain and cluster yourself...Its not overly hard but you will need a couple of tools....tools that you have for life though....saves you R's for next time...

Edited by Mojoman

900 bucks for a fork service is about right?Ā 

Ā 

Well, it depends on the fork. A Pike service kit is around R750 I think, after adding SRAM butter and time I would imagine it's not far fetched for the cost to double...

Getting prices off the net is like buying cheap meat and asking your local chef to cook it, and then complaining to him that its tough. You expect some sort of warrantee on the new parts fitted, so the LBS would then need to buy via approved channels, you'll probably find hardly any markup charged to you on those parts.

Ā 

Perhaps some of the stuff doesnt actually need replacing, but thats a conversation you need to have with the LBS, they will be able to assess the wear and tear.

Ā 

With fancy components comes fancy maintenance unfortunately.

Ā 

Time is one of those commodities people don't seem to value, but time is a mechanics bread and butter.

Ā 

So unless you can do it yourself outside (or during) your own work hours, expect to be chargedĀ  proper hourly rate for someone to do it during their work hours.

Ā 

Absolutely. My LBS charges R250/hour which I gladly pay both for the hassle, experience and the fact that they'll fix whatever they may accidentally do wrong.

Ā 

Even if you've worked on your own bikes for 20 years, it still sometimes just makes sense to have someone else do it. I even have my bikes washed by them every couple of times!

My mech is certified with the UCI and worked for a team in Italy for a few years. He now runs a shop out of his garage servicing for the rich.Ā 

Ā 

I am by no means rich but he costs me the equivalent of R4000 annually and I wouldn't go to anyone else. My bike is solid for about 4-6 months of hard riding unless I crash :P and he doesn't charge for minor sh*t like a tune up. It only gets pricey when starts greasing or replacing bearings. After a winter here the salt needs to be cleaning out.Ā 

Ā 

When I was living is SA I paid about R1500 annually and was also very happy with the servicing.Ā 

Ā 

Finding the right mechanic is like finding the right barber, when you do it's heaven.Ā