Full Service Pricing Ripoff?

MC23

Just something to ponder on...

Valuable lesson for all business owners...

#knowyourworth

A client asked me how much it cost to do a job.

I replied: "R 15000"

He said to me: 'For this job? That's so much! ''

I asked, "How much did you think it would cost you?"

'' At most R 5000 or free, it's a quick job ''

`` For R 5000 I invite you to do it yourself ''

'' It's just that I don't know how to do it ''

'' For R 5000 I teach you, so in addition to saving you R10000, you will have the knowledge for the next time you request it. "

It felt right and he accepted.

"I will let you know what you will need to get started: you need tools: Ladder, rollers, roller trays, brushes, paint pots, drop sheets, scrapers, filler, no more gaps, sand paper etc etc….

"But I don't have all these tools and I don't want to buy all of this for just one job ''

'' Well, then for R 5000 more I rent you all the necessary tools so you can do it ''

Plus, you need to buy all paint and materials you need for the job.

′ Okay ′ he tells me, Agreed! Friday I'll wait for you to come and show me how to do it.

'' I can't on Friday, I am busy with my work at the moment.

'' Can you do it today? No today I don't have time to teach you and lend you my tools. I can do it on Saturday

But you have to be very punctual because I have multiple jobs to go to. I'll be waiting for you Saturday morning at 7 am to start with all the work.

'' Oops, no ... Buying these things takes too much time and more money.

_ You know? It's too early. I'd better give you the R 15000 I've already done my math and it will cost me more.

Remember You don't get paid just to do a job

It charges for: - Knowledge – Experience – Study – Tools – Instruments – Services - Time- Punctuality

- Responsibility – Guarantee and Patience

- Payment of: Insurances, Work cover and Superannuation for employees, offices, transportation and more that any legally established business needs.

Nobody can denigrate anyone's work by putting the price they want, or by belittling your work.

“It is an example of what self respect and respect for others means and why time is money, mechanics, engineers, plumbers are given less respect than Drs yet spend just as many years studying, you wouldn't ask your Dr to fix your car or fly you to London, show some respect and pay the experts,not traumatise them".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may or may not be on the expensive side but I would hardly call it a rip off.

Considering you can't do it yourself it's almost quite cheeky to call more than 4 hours labour for R1700 a rip off.

He was not calling the R 1,700.00 a rip off, he was quoted and agreed to that. Read the post. His issue is with the extras that were added and the impression that, according to their marketing material, that some things should have been included. 

Just something to ponder on...

Valuable lesson for all business owners...

#knowyourworth

A client asked me how much it cost to do a job.

I replied: "R 15000"

He said to me: 'For this job? That's so much! ''

I asked, "How much did you think it would cost you?"

'' At most R 5000 or free, it's a quick job ''

`` For R 5000 I invite you to do it yourself ''

'' It's just that I don't know how to do it ''

'' For R 5000 I teach you, so in addition to saving you R10000, you will have the knowledge for the next time you request it. "

It felt right and he accepted.

"I will let you know what you will need to get started: you need tools: Ladder, rollers, roller trays, brushes, paint pots, drop sheets, scrapers, filler, no more gaps, sand paper etc etc….

"But I don't have all these tools and I don't want to buy all of this for just one job ''

'' Well, then for R 5000 more I rent you all the necessary tools so you can do it ''

Plus, you need to buy all paint and materials you need for the job.

′ Okay ′ he tells me, Agreed! Friday I'll wait for you to come and show me how to do it.

'' I can't on Friday, I am busy with my work at the moment.

'' Can you do it today? No today I don't have time to teach you and lend you my tools. I can do it on Saturday

But you have to be very punctual because I have multiple jobs to go to. I'll be waiting for you Saturday morning at 7 am to start with all the work.

'' Oops, no ... Buying these things takes too much time and more money.

_ You know? It's too early. I'd better give you the R 15000 I've already done my math and it will cost me more.

Remember You don't get paid just to do a job

It charges for: - Knowledge – Experience – Study – Tools – Instruments – Services - Time- Punctuality

- Responsibility – Guarantee and Patience

- Payment of: Insurances, Work cover and Superannuation for employees, offices, transportation and more that any legally established business needs.

Nobody can denigrate anyone's work by putting the price they want, or by belittling your work.

“It is an example of what self respect and respect for others means and why time is money, mechanics, engineers, plumbers are given less respect than Drs yet spend just as many years studying, you wouldn't ask your Dr to fix your car or fly you to London, show some respect and pay the experts,not traumatise them".

If only you knew how many times people have a shocked look when you tell them how long it is to design, detail and document building plans ...... it is just a couple of lines after all !!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 trek ex 8, not sure it but went for a small service about a year ago and i remember they did somthing with the fork. Its been sitting in my parents garage, hasn't been riden much until this year.

Why bother?

Ask them to tune up the gears, pump up the shocks to your sag measurement (you'll have to be present) and ride it for about 6months until that cassette and chain really needs replacing.

Unless if you are meticulous and need the bike to be 100%. Then you'll need to cough up. But you hardly ride alot, so it will be a waste in my opinion.

Just a quick question or something worth pondering about when hitting a proper decent at 70+km/h,

What will bother you more: Coming off due to a mechanical failure or bolt that was not tightened or spending the 6k to get it done right? 

I also service my own bikes but only up to a point. When my talents run out I also go to the LBS with my hat in my hand. PS: This is normally after I tried and failed to sort it out myself  :whistling:

If my mechanic moves so does my family - if he moves to Siberia then so are we

But that is only because your bicycles cost more that my house....

Just a quick question or something worth pondering about when hitting a proper decent at 70+km/h,

What will bother you more: Coming off due to a mechanical failure or bolt that was not tightened or spending the 6k to get it done right?

I also service my own bikes but only up to a point. When my talents run out I also go to the LBS with my hat in my hand. PS: This is normally after I tried and failed to sort it out myself :whistling:.

No guarantee that the mechanic tightened that bolt either.

Don’t trust anyone but myself with my bike. I built it from the frame up to the cable tie. I know every single bolt is tightened with a torque wrench to spec and every component has the correct grease, thread lock, fibre paste etc applied.

It may or may not be on the expensive side but I would hardly call it a rip off.

Considering you can't do it yourself it's almost quite cheeky to call more than 4 hours labour for R1700 a rip off.

4 hours of labour at R1700 is a rip off when most shops are charging R250 an hour 

4 hours of labour at R1700 is a rip off when most shops are charging R250 an hour

It's not a rip off... its what they charge and then you have the choice to go there or not. They haven't fooled anyone or misrepresented themselves. It's a free market.

People should either learn to do it themselves or find a mechanic who charges what they are comfortable with but don't berate a shop when they were upfront with their rates.

It is not your business to set peoples wages or rates. Is a group of people discussing your wages on a public forum?

Aaaaahhhhhh ....

Some basic maths shows how it is NOT viable to employ a GOOD mechanic at those rates .....

The bulk of complaints about bad service at the corner bike shop comes from cheap labour in the workshop .....

By all means, take your bike to the cheapest bike shop .... just dont be surprised when the service levels are not the best.

PS - NO, I am not saying that an expensive quote automatically means you will get the best service.  Sadly not !  Do your homework, find that mechanic/shop with a good reputation in your area, then pay a reasonable rate for good service.

Aaaaahhhhhh ....

Some basic maths shows how it is NOT viable to employ a GOOD mechanic at those rates .....

The bulk of complaints about bad service at the corner bike shop comes from cheap labour in the workshop .....

By all means, take your bike to the cheapest bike shop .... just dont be surprised when the service levels are not the best.

PS - NO, I am not saying that an expensive quote automatically means you will get the best service.  Sadly not !  Do your homework, find that mechanic/shop with a good reputation in your area, then pay a reasonable rate for good service.

and the reality is the mechy will probably only get max 50% of that rate.

Maybe around R100 and hour of that. R150 if he is really good.

Again why I don’t trust bike shops. A passionate mechanic will become a disgruntled one if the pay isn’t great but work is scarce.

Service costs have gone up... but can't help thinking some take advantage, recently got charged R250 just to swop out a BB. All in all about 5 minutes. Thats almost at Doctor room rates, but the mech didn't study for 8 years... :D

Ha, I bet you he has eight years of experience that have taught him that BBs creak sometimes and then they come back with someone pissed off because "I paid you to fix it and now it's creaking". You can fit a BB in 5 minutes if you don't give a **** but if you care and want a happy customer you need to draw on experience and take your time. If its PF30, this times by 10 - what's the condition of the frame? Do I need to use grease, carbon paste or locktite? Is the crank spaced correctly? etc etc

I wish that there were bike shops that only sold stuff (retail) and then workshops that only sold time. That way it would be much easier to differentiate value. If you don't sell your own time for a living you have no idea how hard it is. Mechanics need to eat too. 

Major Service Should be About R 1150 (Labour + Lubes) in Gauteng

Does the Bike Really Need a New Cassette and Pivot Bearings - Probably Not.

Suspension Service of the Fork and Shock are quoted on the High Side .

------ Get a Second Opinion -----

Edited by dasilvarsa

I think the problem revolves around the bias we have...

Growing up, and years ago, bikes were simple. Like, really simple. And that simplicity meant cheap to maintain and you could follow along from a generic book for most bits. Bike mechs were budding pros or a humble owner down the road, so work was cheaper and spares were cheaper.

But we wanted crisp shifting, stop on a dime brakes, and comfortable riding. We wanted more gears, bigger gears, and smoother operation. We wanted hydraulic brakes and sealed bearings. Bikes have moved way beyond super simple, yet we feel attacked by mechanics, who now need investment in tools, training and a lot more time to still charge next to nothing. Almost incensed that they should charge us and not just do the work for free for loyalties sake.

Now, brakes are ultra high end, suspension super complicated, and the industry of course has been smart enough to make most thing proprietary. Bikes aren't the cheap easy simple thing anymore. They're Hella expensive. The people working on them are too. Deservedly, in most cases.

Yes, a *** tech can ruin a bike. Like many k do most of my own things with generally good success, but leave the real complicated stuff to a qualified tech. Most of the time I even know these limits, but I've gone cap in hand with a broken part that needs rescuing due to my ineptitude. And when I have, I don't complain over the price. You pay it and ride grateful that the bike is sound.

If your time, personally, is worth less than the 425 an hour, then learn to do your own stuff so a major service bill is reduced. But it still takes the same amount of time to get it done. Some of us do our own work for the sense of pride, or the "I don't want to rely on anyone else", or I want to know how it works so I can be better at trailside fixes... Whatever. But when someone has trained, has quality tools and facilities, then don't complain. Pay the money and ride safely.