Bikepacking: Karoo Cross vs Overberg Meander

Gouws 34

Looks like you can go wrong with either - I’m partly familiar with overberg one which is pretty and easier

The Karoo one is tougher so depends on how tough you want your ride

You really can’t go wrong with any of these

If you can sort out your logistics and don't mind the heat, I'd definitely vote for the Klein Karoo option. It'll definitely be more of an adventure, more of the "out there" factor.

Overberg route is a bit more "urban", more tar roads, closer proximity to towns etc.

We spent two days driving back from the Greyton Pie run to Jo'burg and rode in both the the Overberg  (sort of Greyton/Riviersonderend/Villiersdorp area) and then on the Klein Karoo route.

Both rides were on dirt roads and around 75km long, were similar but very different.  

In the Western area the roads were generally wider, with rolling hills and the scenery was mostly capital intensive agricultural - wheat fields, cows, fruit trees etc and in the Klein Karoo the roads were narrower, rockier (but still very comfortable on 38mm gravel tyres), the hills were longer and steeper and the scenery was mostly wilderness with the odd vineyard, olive grove or paddock where somebody is trying to eke out a living in the harsh environment.

I loved both, and as Wayne says, you cannot go wrong with either.

If you can sort out your logistics and don't mind the heat, I'd definitely vote for the Klein Karoo option. It'll definitely be more of an adventure, more of the "out there" factor.

Overberg route is a bit more "urban", more tar roads, closer proximity to towns etc.

Agree with you here, really up to personal preferences but I think the Klein Karoo option would have more variety scenic wise. Cycling Prince Alfred pass, Meiringspoort and Swartberg in one trip would be spectacular. 

Overberg in November the wind can be nasty so you would have to factor that in. Personally I would prefer August/September if I was doing a tour in that area.

. Cycling Prince Alfred pass, Meiringspoort and Swartberg in one trip would be spectacular. 

Done that, and it is spectacular, albeit not the easiest ride if you are carrying your kit with you....

did the cederberg one last week.

to be dead honest, if you're really unfamiliar with the area then go for either.

if you know the terrain a little bit then your options are rather endless.

apart from putting a route together, there is very little input from WC gov here. finding accom that can take you for just one night is a schlepp.

just finding a place to park your car is a schlepp.

it's great initiative, but needs a bit more follow through.

even the official info@capecycleroutes.co.za is a shutdown.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your input guys. I do appreciate. We have the decided on the Karoo Cross.

We will be cycling more or less 50 km per day.

Enjoy! Post some pictures!

• 1 month later...