Lehane

Trek Supercaliber 9.9

My SUPERCALIBER 9.9 came into my life during a crazy time!! After merely two rides on it, I had a road bike accident and had to stay off the bike for two months, to recover from a severe elbow injury. Initially I had to approach my riding VERY CAREFULLY. For quite a while I did not have the strength to lean on my right arm at all. Slowly but surely my strength increased and as I dared more, my SUPERCALIBER started showing off. Giving me the best "WELCOME BACK TO RIDING" I could ask for.

Coming from a TREK TOP FUEL 9.9 (2019), I did not know what to expect from my new bike, I loved the Top Fuel and had a 100% podium record on it. First thing I noticed was that these two bikes had a completely different feel even if you just ride around your neighbourhood.

1. IT IS FAST!

Notably faster! There is absolutely no loss of power when you step on the pedals, everything you put in gets rewarded. To take it a step further the dual lockout system makes this bike come to life! I just lock out my shocks on a smooth climb and WHALLAH, rocket mode "ON" ????

2. IT HANDLES OBSTACLES LIKE A DUAL SUSPENSION.

Because the SUPERCALIBER has less travel in the rear shock (coming from 100mm rear travel to the merely 60mm Isostrut system) , I was a bit sceptical when it came to obstacles. Would I be able to be confident over the rocks, drops and jumps and what it would feel like? What a revelation! When it comes to jumps, it floats like an airplane and landing it is really smooth.

The slack head angle does an amazing job down drops, rocks and steep descents. Easy to steer and very reluctant to throw you over the bars if you keep to the rules of basic skills.

3. IT'S REALLY, REALLY LIGHT

The weight of this bike is probably its biggest advantage. With race ready sealant in the wheels and pedals on, my bike weighed in on 9.4kg. In other words, it is a pleasure to climb to the top of the mountain. During testing it on various mountain passes, I've set PR's every time, even while I wasn't in top shape during my recovery period.

In conclusion.....

Every time I ride, I smile at the top and and the bottom of the mountain. The only down side of the SUPERCALIBER is that it is difficult to not talk about the riding pleasure during the ride and you can easily drive your mates crazy. Thus also the reason why I've decided to share my experience online. No one asked, and I'm not getting paid to say nice things. It's just my honest opinion.

Suggestions---

A bicycle like the SUPERCALIBER is built for optimum speed and I would suggest that you make sure that your bike setup is done properly without compromising the way the bicycle is built. In my opinion the shock pressure and rebound should be precisely set according to factory suggestions in order to get the most out of it.... DON'T FORGET THAT TYRE PRESSURE PLAYS A BIG ROLE IN YOUR RIDING AND CORNERING EXPERIENCE.

The SUPERCALIBER 9.9 is the perfect race bike for me, and if you keep to its design, you'll be going faster than ever before!

Though it is a pricey bicycle, it's definitely a huge benefit as a race bike. If you're thinking of buying it for racing or enjoyment, your expectations will be met!!

i get the feeling the Supercaliber is a perfect XC machine when being ridden at the highest level. 

it would be to focused a machine for 95% of the population who need to also do marathon and stage event racing.

Great looking bikes, you have my enve. i'd have one in a heartbeat that i would use for short racing only.

but for everything else i'd like something more forgiving

• 3 weeks later...

I went to look at one this morning. I currently have a 2018 Top Fuel 9.8SL. Pure XC bike. It's got the Re:Aktiv rear shock. I bought it specially because of that shock. Only two options, locked or not locked. Locked is the default. Bit of a stiffer ride but climbs like an absolute goat and gives you no bob whatever. Fox 32 stepcast two way in the front. 11.15kg. A bit heavy as these things go. Bit heavier now with dropper post et al. The Top Fuel 9.9 for comparative purposes is 9.5kg. Supercaliber 9.9 is 100g lighter than the same category predecessor 9.9 Top Fuel. But it's about 180k ZAR. I looked at how the suspension moves with the Supercaliber. Seems different to my Top Fuel. A bit more like my Procaliber (converted into a hybrid gravel bike now). I just can't get my head around the price of this thing. In my mind, I recently bought an "as new" very low mileage 4wd Subaru Forester for less than that. Unlike you I'm never going to be on a podium. For one thing, age is against me. I was also a late starter on a bicycle. The guys at the Trek shop tell me they don't sell many Supercalibers. One here, one there. Mainly to the "Melrose Arch crowd" who want to be seen on the best and latest. Okay, cool, fair enough. I'd like to take one out and play with it for a few hours at Northern Farm. Go climb some hills with it. But all in all, I reckon my Top Fuel needs to do a few more years duty. It's a good bike. It's good for me. Climbs well. Pretty fast too. Especially since I put those blackchilli RaceKing 2.2's on. Goes like a raped ape. Maybe not Supercaliber fast but much faster than my mates' MTBs. And it does trail work pretty okay too. I'll look out for you when you come past me. Be a gentleman and move to the left and cheer you on too!

Edited by MudLark

The manufacturers are smoking some good stuff with the pricing they come up with on some models. It’s utterly ridiculous that the poverty spec Supercaliber starts at R90k.

The manufacturers are smoking some good stuff with the pricing they come up with on some models. It’s utterly ridiculous that the poverty spec Supercaliber starts at R90k.

Is it though?

It is not an entry level bike. It is the top of the range racing Trek. They have several other bikes priced reasonably. 

The Supercaliber is a racing machine. Complaining that you can't get an entry level one is like suggesting you should also be able to buy a Ferrari cheaper because their cheapest car is expensive.

I went to look at one this morning. I currently have a 2018 Top Fuel 9.8SL. Pure XC bike. It's got the Re:Aktiv rear shock. I bought it specially because of that shock. Only two options, locked or not locked. Locked is the default. Bit of a stiffer ride but climbs like an absolute goat and gives you no bob whatever. Fox 32 stepcast two way in the front. 11.15kg. A bit heavy as these things go. Bit heavier now with dropper post et al. The Top Fuel 9.9 for comparative purposes is 9.5kg. Supercaliber 9.9 is 100g lighter than the same category predecessor 9.9 Top Fuel. But it's about 180k ZAR. I looked at how the suspension moves with the Supercaliber. Seems different to my Top Fuel. A bit more like my Procaliber (converted into a hybrid gravel bike now). I just can't get my head around the price of this thing. In my mind, I recently bought an "as new" very low mileage 4wd Subaru Forester for less than that. Unlike you I'm never going to be on a podium. For one thing, age is against me. I was also a late starter on a bicycle. The guys at the Trek shop tell me they don't sell many Supercalibers. One here, one there. Mainly to the "Melrose Arch crowd" who want to be seen on the best and latest. Okay, cool, fair enough. I'd like to take one out and play with it for a few hours at Northern Farm. Go climb some hills with it. But all in all, I reckon my Top Fuel needs to do a few more years duty. It's a good bike. It's good for me. Climbs well. Pretty fast too. Especially since I put those blackchilli RaceKing 2.2's on. Goes like a raped ape. Maybe not Supercaliber fast but much faster than my mates' MTBs. And it does trail work pretty okay too. I'll look out for you when you come past me. Be a gentleman and move to the left and cheer you on too!

I am guessing that the weights you give are based on what the manufacturer says? 9.4kg ride ready is seriously light! Top spec dual-suspension-bikes generally with pedals and sealant actual weight around 10kg. Riding buddy has a 2020 top fuel 9.8 and it feels really heavy compared to my nearly 11kg bike I would guess 12kg+ ride ready. As for the price yes it's steep but you are paying for geek levels of engineering/design. Having someone like Fox design a completely new shock for you will also not be a cheap venture.

I do like the top fuel and Trek suspension design does not waste to much power but if I could have anyone of the 2 I would take the supercaliber.

2020 Top Fuel is a very different bike to the 2018 Top Fuel. Lot more suspension travel, far more trail bike. Effectively they've changed where it fits in their lineup so as to leave the Supercaliber as the pure XC bike whereas before the role now filled by the Supercaliber was filled by the Top Fuel. So the earlier Top Fuel was the "true predecessor" in the Trek lineup to the Supercaliber. You can see this not only in the geometry and suspension setup but also in the weight. 2018 Top Fuel 9.9 official weight was 9.5 kg. 2020 Top Fuel 9.9 official weight is 11.1kg. Current 9.9 Supercaliber is 9.4kg. Effectively Trek have saved 100g and introduced a new model with the Supercaliber. Is it really better? Dunno. Like this new helmet material of theirs. Hard to tell where the line is between the actual technical gain and the marketing noise. In the end, they're about selling bicycles at the best margin they can.

I can vouch for the new helmet material mentioned above from trek/ bontrager. I got taken out by a car and helmet took massive direct impact with the car, the wave cell technology worked incredibly well to absorb the impact , helmet was compressed and I only suffered a few scratches on the head and a headache, but did get a bruised back and two broken arms, and the best part is they have an accident replacement policy

The Supercaliber is a racing machine. Complaining that you can't get an entry level one is like suggesting you should also be able to buy a Ferrari cheaper because their cheapest car is expensive.

Ferrari did make a cheaper car for the "entry level" market. The poverty spec is the California.

But like the Supercaliber, you are still buying a lot of car for a lot of money.

Ferrari did make a cheaper car for the "entry level" market. The poverty spec is the California.

But like the Supercaliber, you are still buying a lot of car for a lot of money.

That was my point though.. It's a ferrari. Entry level is still more expensive than a Citi Golf

OT

Poverty spec ferraris are fiat’s and alfas though?☺️. Same italian ‘craftsmanship’ hehe.

Ive been lucky to have driven a few high performance cars ( none my own ofcourse) and i distinctly remember being the least impressed with the ferrari experience lol (599 cali & 458). When you drive one and get over the initial excitement of it being a ferrari...you soon start realizing that its still italian when you start nitpicking about the finer details, and that you look like a giant knob in it, you feel kind of letdown by meeting your childhood hero lol.

There are nicer( less obnoxious things) out there, built to a way higher standard too.

PS: As mentioned...post is Off Topic and not meant to detract in any way from the OP’s cool bike. I love the way the supercaliber looks too. Super clean and elegant. Almost makes ‘conventional’ DS linkage designs look agricultural lol.

Edited by morneS555