Lehane

No one asked, and I'm not getting paid to say nice things.

What is your association to Trek??

OT

Poverty spec ferraris are fiat’s and alfas though?☺️. Same italian ‘craftsmanship’ hehe.

Ive been lucky to have driven a few high performance cars ( none my own ofcourse) and i distinctly remember being the least impressed with the ferrari experience lol (599 cali & 458). When you drive one and get over the initial excitement of it being a ferrari...you soon start realizing that its still italian when you start nitpicking about the finer details, and that you look like a giant knob in it, you feel kind of letdown by meeting your childhood hero lol.

There are nicer( less obnoxious things) out there, built to a way higher standard too.

PS: As mentioned...post is Off Topic and not meant to detract in any way from the OP’s cool bike. I love the way the supercaliber looks too. Super clean and elegant. Almost makes ‘conventional’ DS linkage designs look agricultural lol.

I have also driven a few.

I don't really like super cars nor do I understand why, as humans, we still make them to be driven in public. I was merely using it as an example re entry level perspective.

The car I was most disappointed to drive was the 89 Porsche 911 turbo. It was always something I lusted over and then when I drove it I realised it was rubbish. Like throwing a 20 pound hammer as hard as you can and then trying to steer it with sign language and stop it with overcooked noodles.

But ja, top end bikes cost top end money. Complaining that top end bikes aren't affordable is silly

The car I was most disappointed to drive was the 89 Porsche 911 turbo.

You mean VW beetle turbo? Lol

Yea even the newer ones drive like garbage in relative terms Imo.

The NICEST car I have driven (and still lust over), and is also italian btw haha, was a Lancia delta integrale. Such a visceral experience. It’s racing pedigree Obviously helps with those feelings. It is however still only one level up from a entry level washing machine With some turbos bolted to it haha. Nissan GTR, Mitsubishi lancer Evo 9 was a close second/3rd For me, i had more time in those though, they were my cousins’ cars, so I could be biased.

The bike I referred to @R90k is not the top end model. Since when does a top end bike come with NX Eagle?

Anyone here have a super calibre?

There was(is?)one in the classifieds the other day so i’m sure they lurk here

Edit: Scratch that...there are 4 in classifieds at the moment????

Edited by morneS555

The bike I referred to @R90k is not the top end model. Since when does a top end bike come with NX Eagle?

Sadly way too many 2020 model bikes in that price range coming with NX ... even a few being shipped with SX. While the 2019 models came with GX ....

This is a general comment relating to various brands.

Look, I guess if you're racing at the top end of the game, the money may make sense. You may save yourself a few seconds or maybe even a minute or three over a longish race as opposed to one of the slightly older bikes. Maybe that makes the difference between a podium finish or not. But for a guy like me who is pretty much only trying to beat his mates and not be the last soul over the finish line, it just makes no sense at all. Nobody cares whether I finish in 3:30 or 3:35. Not even I really do! I just do the best I can and what I achieve is what I achieve. It's not even going to make a difference to my seeding! Honestly, I would rather spend the money on a couple of stage events and so forth, go see the country et cetera. My existing bikes are reliable and more than fast enough for me.

It makes me think a little bit of my old Mercedes SLK32AMG (which I've now had for close on 20 years and only has about 60,000 km on it). Years ago, when I was still servicing it at Mercedes-Benz, they tried very hard to get me to trade it in on a 55 AMG. And the point I made to them was "What's the point? The SLK32AMG already has more power and speed in it than I can handle. I'm not actually going to get any more utility out of the newer and more expensive car." Same thing with the bicycle, really.

• 7 months later...

@Lehane Thanks for the insight. Currently also considering moving to the Supercaliber, coming from the Top Fuel. I had both the 2019 and 2020 versions of the Top Fuel. 

The 2020 Top Fuel is a different kind of monster compared to the 2019 Top Fuel. It descends like crazy. It's a completely different bike. 

What types of trails to you ride mostly? Do you take part in any stage races? 

I have ridden the Supercaliber twice, and it's inline with my needs, but hard to tell from just two rides. Hoping you could give some insight on long term usage?