Training wheels for balance bike

T_Boss

I guess this is kinda cycling related, if a kiddies balance bike can be considered a Real bike.

My daughter will be 2 in November, but had been obsessed with bike shaped objects from as soon as she could walk. She has the typical trike that can also be pushed by a parent, and the horrible noisy plastic “motorbike” that all kids love. But when she was with me in cyclelab a few weeks back she laid eyes on a the balance bikes, and there was no ways I was leaving without one.

I bought the smallest size one they had, but it’s still a touch too big for her. She can stand over it just just, but is battling to get the balance thing sorted.

So I have 2 questions -

1. Can you get training wheels for the little balance bikes? I asked when I bought it, and the lady helping me said they don’t have and doesn’t think you get for it. But I find that hard to believe.

2. For those with kids that have been through this excercise, at what age should kids be comfortable on a balance bike without any balancing aids?

Ive taught a few kids to ride and my advise is dont ever get training wheels, the most important lesson in riding any bike is balance and training wheels mess that up. If the bike is a little too big go and buy a cheep 3 wheel plastic bike so that she can build up her scooting power and then go back to the bike when she can reach the floor.

Yeah don’t do it, just wait for her to get a bit bigger and let ride the ubiquitous black plastic motorbike until then. Both my kids started on the balance bike when they were 2 years and a couple of months. They literally figure it out in a day or two if they are tall enough.

Have to agree ... please dont get those side wheels ...

Each weekend we see YOUNG kids on balance bikes at Bloemendal.... fearless and confident.

And then those with the side wheels .... sadly we also went this route and struggled to get him off those ....

Worth looking at the saddle bracket .... some can be flipped to get the saddle rails below the bolt ... gaining about 15mm ... it sounds like this is all she needs now :)

I agree. Don't put any training wheels on. Let her enjoy the black plastic type bikes until she can reach. You'll be amazed at how quickly they learn to balance. My 2 year old can ride down a slope with her feet up on the balance bike after a few weeks on it. Training wheels will just be a crutch that will hold her back in the longer run.

thanks for the input guys.

Affirms my intial thoughts, but breaks my heart seeing her frustrate herself with the balance bike on her tipy toes..... but she refuses to give up...

Will look into options to lower the saddle a few mm

thanks for the input guys.

Affirms my intial thoughts, but breaks my heart seeing her frustrate herself with the balance bike on her tipy toes..... but she refuses to give up...

Will look into options to lower the saddle a few mm

Another option ....

Get her special "cycling shoes" .... nice elevated platform soles ... ????????

Another option ....

Get her special "cycling shoes" .... nice elevated platform soles ...

Excellent solution!!

My boy is 2 1/2 plus some now and loves the balance bike when he wants to race daddy around the garden and otherwise still loves his plastic scooter. The scooter has taught him handling skills i didn't even need to like lifting the front wheel at drop offs (kerbs and single steps) also doing donuts and wheelies and sliding the back around corners etc etc - they are great and have their place - I got the balance bike just before he turned 2 and only from about 2 and 3or4 months did he start trying it.

Don't rush them too much as it hurts their confidence more doing that than letting them evolve on their own (nothing wrong with giving them the tools though) but I agree with the no training wheels thing. they grow so fast that in a month or 2 she may just be size to start on it. Maybe also put it away for a bit - out of sight out of mind and let her enjoy the plastic scooter.

:thumbup:

Also. When she upgrades to a pedal bike, DO NOT USE TRAINING WHEELS. she'll have already learned how to balance and pedalling will be one more thing to learn, instead of learning how to pedal while the bike balances for her. She'll get to the point where she'll have to learn how to balance all over again. Just not worth it.

When my boy was just a bit to short for his balance bike at just over a year old, I pushed him on it. Now at 1 year and 5 months old, he rides on his own.

As soon as I get home from work, his first words is either "vuur maak" or "piets" (fiets).

“Piets” is iets wat mamma eerder moet sê

Never use training wheels. A balancing bike is superb. I have 'WE' bike, probably the smallest balancing bike around. All 4 my kids taught themselves to balance in less than a day.

My little dude is 13 months old and he has a tiny little plastic thing with 2 wheels.

He freewheels down the drive, crashes into the garage and then drags the bike back to the top of the apex and does it again and again and again...

He doesn't talk yet so it's difficult to explain to him how to stop without using the garage door!

He will not get any side wheels. He will get a teeny tiny BMX though as soon as possible so we can ride the Argust together on matching bikes.....

I guess this is kinda cycling related, if a kiddies balance bike can be considered a Real bike.

My daughter will be 2 in November, but had been obsessed with bike shaped objects from as soon as she could walk. She has the typical trike that can also be pushed by a parent, and the horrible noisy plastic “motorbike” that all kids love. But when she was with me in cyclelab a few weeks back she laid eyes on a the balance bikes, and there was no ways I was leaving without one.

I bought the smallest size one they had, but it’s still a touch too big for her. She can stand over it just just, but is battling to get the balance thing sorted.

So I have 2 questions -

1. Can you get training wheels for the little balance bikes? I asked when I bought it, and the lady helping me said they don’t have and doesn’t think you get for it. But I find that hard to believe.

2. For those with kids that have been through this excercise, at what age should kids be comfortable on a balance bike without any balancing aids?

I'm in the same boat as you but my daughter is 3 and now wants a bicycle. We checked out most of the balance bikes when she was 2 but they seem to be a bit to heavy for her and then she lost interest. I was going to go the route of a bicycle with training wheels but after reading all the posts that might not be an option anymore. Getting back to the balance bike, which brands would be more suitable for a girl as in weight and size?

The bike is her xmas gift this year so don't want it to be another gift that gets used for 2 weeks and then lies in the playroom with all the other stuff!  :whistling:

The bike is her xmas gift this year so don't want it to be another gift that gets used for 2 weeks and then lies in the playroom with all the other stuff!  :whistling:

You just sell (or donate) it on like you would when they outgrow it anyway.