Mankele to close down

T_Boss

Just saw on FB that mankele will be shutting their doors on the 10th of October.

What a sad thing to hear. Was such an awesome place to ride, and the facilites were great. Its a real loss for MTBing

Such a pity - So i suppose 3 Towers & Sappi Mankele races are history as well. I'm sure new owners took over just before lockdown - Here's hoping it will open again sometime in the future

Here's hoping

Unfortunately, these three words have become so synonoumous with everything thats gone wrong in 2020. 

Sad.
I still have a night booked with them.

I suppose I won't see that money.  Nice of them to let me know.

$#$*)$(

Just another 'bad business' that would have gone down anyway, not the virus/lockdown's fault I suppose ...

*No sarcasm font on Tapa*

Just another 'bad business' that would have gone down anyway, not the virus/lockdown's fault I suppose ...

*No sarcasm font on Tapa*

Bieng in the tourism industry myself, I may be a little bit sensitive at the moment, but I dont think this is an appropriat time for sarcasm

Mourn! Was there last December for 4 nights, my first time. Rode my little ass off, I still dream about those bush tunnel trails.

Real pity is that the wife and kids loved it too. Was planning to go back April, then June....

Stupid corona. Must say I was amazed how empty it was last December. There was hardly a one there and not on one day did I see anyone else on the trails, was on my ace the whole time.

Well at least I got to experience it, but I am sad.

Bieng in the tourism industry myself, I may be a little bit sensitive at the moment, but I dont think this is an appropriat time for sarcasm

Sorry about that, if you have a look at my post in the 'Corona-Virus fallout' thread you may see where I'm coming from ... Trust me you guys all have my full sympathy!

Was there a compounding bad vibe with corona being the final straw that broke the camels back or was it solely to blame on corona?

Very sorry to hear this. It was such a nice place to ride and had some special trail sections.

Wonder if we will get our postponed Three Towers entry fee refunded or if it will still take place next year?

Was there a compounding bad vibe with corona being the final straw that broke the camels back or was it solely to blame on corona?

Im not sure of the ins and outs, but I have been a pretty regular visitor there for a few years already. No signs of things falling apart when I was last there in December. 

I think its just months of no income, and losing the ability to host the hadful of events they did every year has forced their hand.

I cant figure out how to link a facebook post. but I will copy the text here:

"The sun has set on an era. Mankele has grown to be a well known family venue, for camping, cycling & adventure activities.

Unfortunately despite our best efforts & due to the economic climate Mankele will be closing its doors to the public on Monday 12th October 2020.
We want to take this opportunity to thank everybody for the loyal support & years of fun filled memories.
Good bye & God bless"

Sorry about that, if you have a look at my post in the 'Corona-Virus fallout' thread you may see where I'm coming from ... Trust me you guys all have my full sympathy!

Not hard feelings.... and I have been avoiding that Corona Virus fallout thread for the sake of my own sanity.......

This is really sad.  I have been fortunate to have done 3 towers, as well as support the missus doing nationals xco there, and witness some awesome dhi runs at the venue.

spent a weekend there experiencing some of the best trails, with bush tunnels that seem to go on for miles.

during lockdown, opted to book a cabin there in stead of the bnb’s in town, while conducting business.. as the typical standard of mankele, the service was excellent.

It’s no small feat to keep a venue like they have in tip top shape, never mind maintaining trails, I know they had a nice set-up for hosting schools, but with the cancellation of all extra mural activities, it must have been some blows to a business such as theirs. 

It has always been fully booked venue, and it seems this has not been enough. 

I don’t know the full story, but I am really depro about this.

Sad to hear. The 3 towers was one of my first real stage races and I throughly enjoyed every second of it. Was hoping to go back again but it seems I will have to look elsewhere unfortunately.

• 2 months later...