12sp upgrade from 10sp, options to keep hub?

Mtree

Hi all, I am at a crossroads here. I broke my one Shimano XT 2x shifter, so the one thought train is to instead of replace with another 2x10 shifter set, to make the jump and upgrade to 12sp.
The catch comes in that I have a power tap rear disc hub (G2), a non-boost (QR) frame and I am trying to find a way to minimize the changes required..

The current options are as follows:
Sunrace 11-50T cassette (MZ90), which is suited specifically to SRAM drivetrains., and then go SRAM GX?
Sunrace 11-51T cassette (MZ903), suited to Shimano drivetrains. I cannot find stock of this in SA. The thought would then be a Shimano SLX drivetrain?

I believe the difference is in the spacing they implement on the two cassettes.
The 11T at the bottom negates having to change the hub, and will fit a standard Shimano HG freehub or equivalent (Non micro spline hubs).
Crank is not an issue, as that can be easily converted.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that work or are known to work in this scenario?
All suggestions are welcome.

For those that have tested SLX and GX, what would be the verdict, considering pricing and spares?

Regards.

Get an NX cassette and the GX shifter and derailleur. The NX cassette is cheap and its range is 11-50 which im guessing should fit on your hub. In theory you could also get any of the 11-50 or 11-51 cassettes and stick the new SLX groupset on, but i cant comment on the operation thereof. The NX/Gx combo works very well afaik. Personally i upgraded to the new SLX with the 10-51 cassette and it runs very smoothly, but of course then you need the microspline freebody, which wont be your desired solution as per your post.

I’d go for nx/gx...

Sidenote: Solomons cycles’ website shows it has 4 NX groupsets in stock. CWC shows it has the Sunrace 11-50 cassettes in stock.

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/sram-nx-eagle-1x12-upgrade-kit/

Then of course you could also consider putting on a wide range 10spd 11-46 cassette, and keep your existing shifter and derailleur. All you’ll need is a derailleur extender which you get from Rapide. I ran this setup for a long time before going 12 spd. I did a post of that conversion on here if you want to see how it was done. This option might be the cheapest if money is a major factor. Otherwise... NX/GX

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/183321-3x10-to-1x10-merida-big-nine-ht-conversion-on-a-budget/page-2

Good luck!

Edited by gemmerbal

There is also the option of a Shimano HG500 10 spd cassette 11-42T then run it x1 with a 32T upfront. The setup I'm currently running.

Otherwise you will be just fine with a Sunrace cassette and the shifters of your choice.

Get an NX cassette and the GX shifter and derailleur. The NX cassette is cheap and its range is 11-50 which im guessing should fit on your hub. In theory you could also get any of the 11-50 or 11-51 cassettes and stick the new SLX groupset on, but i cant comment on the operation thereof. The NX/Gx combo works very well afaik. Personally i upgraded to the new SLX with the 10-51 cassette and it runs very smoothly, but of course then you need the microspline freebody, which wont be your desired solution as per your post.

I’d go for nx/gx...

Sidenote: Solomons cycles’ website shows it has 4 NX groupsets in stock. CWC shows it has the Sunrace 11-50 cassettes in stock.

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/sram-nx-eagle-1x12-upgrade-kit/

Then of course you could also consider putting on a wide range 10spd 11-46 cassette, and keep your existing shifter and derailleur. All you’ll need is a derailleur extender which you get from Rapide. I ran this setup for a long time before going 12 spd. I did a post of that conversion on here if you want to see how it was done. This option might be the cheapest if money is a major factor. Otherwise... NX/GX

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/183321-3x10-to-1x10-merida-big-nine-ht-conversion-on-a-budget/page-2

Good luck!

Slight update, was able to get a sram XD freehub body for the powertap, so going down that road, will have that on Wednesday.

Then a full GX groupset would be in order?

Yes definitely. Those sram/sunrace 10-50 cassettes are slightly more expensive than the 11-50 ones though. Happy upgrading!

Slight update, was able to get a sram XD freehub body for the powertap, so going down that road, will have that on Wednesday.

Then a full GX groupset would be in order?