[Event] Euro Steel Drak Descent

zappa

Event Name: Euro Steel Drak Descent
When: 30 January 2021 - 31 January 2021
Where: Sani Spoors, Kwazulu-Natal
Category: MTB

Euro Steel Drak Descent and Run the Rivers

30 and 31 January 2021

After a year of uncertainty and upset where we never knew what the next day could bring, the Spoors Team are able to offer some stability…The now famous Euro Steel Drak Descent MTB & Run the Rivers Trail Run, will be held on the 30th and 31st of January 2021. We are thrilled to bring you even more improvements, new energy & excitement in our 2021 edition of this iconic Southern Drakensberg event at exactly the same price as we did in 2020. Our events form part of the growing FNB Drak Adventure Weekend, which will include the N3TC Drak Challenge and FNB Music Experience.

As a result of an overwhelming number of requests coming in from potential entrants for the Drak Descent and Run the Rivers, we would first like to offer our faithful previous entrants a preferential entry period. To those of you that have heard the hype, but have not had an opportunity to enter in the past, never fear, there may still be a spot or two available when the entries open to the public. Jump in and enter in order to be placed onto the waiting list for entry allocation once the preferential entries close! In order to ensure that you receive what we have always strived to provide – “value for money” – the Spoors Team will guarantee a 100% refund should the event be cancelled due to another COVID19 Lockdown situation.

Remember, with regards to the MTB, while called the Descent, it is not an easy ride – and to our surprise, that is what most riders of reasonable fitness and skill really enjoy. They have called it “real mountain biking”. We hope that the date gives you adequate weeks of riding to work off the Christmas and New Years’ excesses and be in better shape for our event. We are happy to announce that for 2021 our founding sponsor Euro Steel is again involved with the MTB race and the Trail Run

Entries will open on 6 October to all previous years’ participants and entries to the general public will open on 1 November. For 2021, payment for the race must be made upon registration. We no longer have a register now and pay later option. Due to our event having a limited number of participants, we cannot hold entries indefinitely. We will allow previous years’ participants to register and pay up until 30 November 2020.

Euro Steel Drak Descent & MTB Challenge:

Drak Descent Team - R1600

Drak Descent Solo - R800

Euro Steel MTB Challenge - R500

(substitutions at a cost of R200)

Approximate Distances:

Drak Descent Day 1 = 42km Day 2 = 45km

MTB Challenge Day 1 = 25km Day 2 = 18km

The Euro Steel Drak Descent is classified as a Mini Stage Race and therefore riders of the age 15+ in December are allowed to ride.

1v1.jpg

Euro Steel will continue to support the Run the Rivers Trail Run 2021. What more could organisers ask for from a sponsor when they just continue to do more, give more and add such value to our event? We are ever grateful to Colin and his team and all at Euro Steel who make this possible.

Euro Steel Run the Rivers Trail Run & Lite:

Trail Run & Lite – R500

(substitutions at a cost of R200)

Approximate Distances:

Trail Run Day 1 = 25km Day 2 = 16km

Lite Day 1 = 12km Day 2 = 8km

2.jpg

Riders and Runners who enter either the Euro Steel MTB Challenge or one of the Euro Steel Run the Rivers Trail Runs, have to ENTER FOR BOTH DAYS (i.e. you cannot enter for only one of the days, but you can run or ride only one day if you so wish).

TO ENTER:

For the MTB event click here or for the Trail Run click here (as of 6th October) which will take you to the specific event.

Ride and Run safely through 2020!

The Sani Spoors Team is really looking forward to hosting you all again at the Euro Steel Drak Descent, MTB Challenge and Euro Steel Run the Rivers Trail Run in 2021!

Go to Event Page

• 3 months later...

2021 Drak Descent is cancelled

Underberg – As the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic continues to strike communities and families across South Africa, the organisers of the popular annual FNB Drak Adventure Weekend have agreed to cancel the three sporting events and the music concert that made up the popular family weekend in Underberg.

The Euro Steel Drak Descent, together with the N3TC Drak Challenge canoe marathon, the Euro Steel Run the Rivers trail run, and the FNB Drak Music Experience concert have all been called off as the respective organisers agree that hosting several thousand athletes and their families cannot be justified under the prevailing pandemic.

“It is really disappointing and sad that we had to make the call to cancel the Euro Steel Drak Descent and Run The Rivers for 2021,” said Derek Christie of the Sani Spoors organising committee.

“We had prepared some exciting new trails for the riders and the runners and were looking forward to sharing these.

“We looked seriously at all the options, including postponing, but in consultation with our sponsor Euro Steel we feel it would be irresponsible and morally incorrect under the current conditions to stage an event that could potentially lead to a further spread of infection.

“We do not want, directly or indirectly, to be the cause of any of our participants, helpers or the community being infected due to us hosting an event that brings a couple of thousand visitors to the area,” he added.

“It is sad that the charities and the community organisations that benefit from our events will suffer, but we are looking at ways to keep supporting them before we come back with a bigger and better event next year,” said Christie.

The KZN Canoe Union tried to accommodate the paddlers by moving the date of the N3TC Drak Challenge five weeks later in the calendar, but the host club Canyon Kayak Club felt the risks were too great.

“We appreciate the efforts of Canoeing SA and the KZN Canoe Union in doing everything possible to keep the major events alive, but on overall assessment we all agreed that the risks heavily outweighed the benefits, and we need to be responsible and safeguard everyone’s health,” said Drak Challenge race committee head Mark Willment.

“We had flexible plans in place to ensure social distancing and full compliance at the race, but the reality is that almost everyone travels a long way to Underberg for the weekend and books into local accommodation, and the risk of creating a new super-spreader event was real,” he said.

He added that all the events were gravely concerned that the overburdened hospitals compromised the ability to offer professional medical care should a serious injury occur.

“We have top class medics on duty, but they are hours from the nearest hospital and the reality is that there are no beds available at many of these hospitals and patients needing care are being turned away and sent to find alternate hospitals. We can’t responsibly stage an adventure sport with that risk,” he added.

Athletes who have already entered the events will be given the option to either carry their entry over to the 2022 events, to donate their entry to the charities that normally benefit from the event, or to apply for a refund.

The now well-established Saturday evening FNB Drak Music Experience concert has also been cancelled.

Banner1.jpg

Euro Steel Drak Descent

Dear Participant

We thank you so much for your entry into our event, we are very grateful for your support.

It is really disappointing and sad that we had to make the call to cancel the Euro Steel Drak Descent and Run The Rivers for 2021, but our Newsletter clearly outlines our reasoning behind this tough decision.

As per our very first newsletter where we committed to refund the entry fee for the race should the race be cancelled due to a Covid related lockdown, we would like to give you a few choices, as some of our entrants have indicated that they wish to donate their entry fee to the event.

Please could you make your choice by clicking on the link provided below, completing your details and selecting your option.

CLICK HERE TO SELECT YOUR OPTION

You will have until 31 January 2021 to select an option.

Regards

The Sani Spoors Team

SponsorsBanner.jpg

Drak Descent Social

FacebookIcon.pngTwitterIcon.pngUntitled-1.png

Email - drakdescent@sanispoors.co.za

Website - www.drakdescent.co.za

Run the Rivers Social

FacebookIcon.pngUntitled-1.png

Email - drakdescent@sanispoors.co.za

Website - www.runtherivers.co.za

To unsubscribe Click Here

EmailOpenListener.aspx?toEmailLinkID=580

Good Day 

We have unfortunately had to make a call regarding the Euro Steel Drak Descent and Euro Steel Run the Rivers events. The risks currently with the spread of this virus far outweighs any fun to be had.

As per our first newsletter, if the event was cancelled due to Covid-19, we would have a 100% refund policy.

Please follow the link above to select your options.

Stay safe.

The Sani Spoors Team

Edited by zappa

• 1 year later...

Anyone here riding this one at the end of Jan? So amped for it, but have no idea what to expect. Praying it doesn't get cancelled again, but I guess it's highly unlikely at this stage

Yep, me. 

Still struggling to find a dropper post - which I think will make a big difference to my race. Other than that, I recon it will be a great race

1 minute ago, 117 said:

Yep, me. 

Still struggling to find a dropper post - which I think will make a big difference to my race. Other than that, I recon it will be a great race

Is this not the race that starts next to Van Reenen and drops down the escarpment and you ride back up? If so, you don't need a dropper, it is mostly dirt roads. 

The race is in and around Underberg, from what I can see its using some of the Sani trails and a few other privte ones

I'd say a post will be a huge advantage...

image.png.9ab317e8adbefb5d43d0d216b157b5b9.png

38 minutes ago, jcza said:

Is this not the race that starts next to Van Reenen and drops down the escarpment and you ride back up? If so, you don't need a dropper, it is mostly dirt roads. 

Going to be extremely disappointed if that's the case. Could've just hung around my local then. If it's in the berg, i'm hoping the scenery will be spectacular

13 minutes ago, 117 said:

The race is in and around Underberg, from what I can see its using some of the Sani trails and a few other privte ones

I'd say a post will be a huge advantage...

image.png.9ab317e8adbefb5d43d0d216b157b5b9.png

AHA different race.