Pyga arrogance / bad service [resolved]

DMJ

I was in the market for a new bike recently and was very interested in the Pyga stage.

I contacted Pyga to see if it was possible to visit their Howick factory at any point and try out a Pyga Stage. I was advised by them that it was not.

Not only did they not have any bike that I could try (i.e. not even get on and ride around the car park) but they advised me that they have no intention of getting any more demo bikes, and they would be selling all their Stage models as
new stock.

I asked if this was because the Mobu is forthcoming and the Stage was being phased out. They said the Mobu is nowhere close to being released and they would be selling the Stage at least for another 2 years.

They had no demo bikes anywhere in KZN that I could try and nor could they arrange one for me to try. Despite being local and wanting to support local, I found them to be arrogant and their service to be poor.

Their attitude was effectively if I wanted to try a Stage I would need to buy a new one and then I could get to try it.

Having been disappointed with them, I went with a large tried-and-tested international brand and I managed to get a high-end bike for a great price. The retailer also allowed me to try out the bike first, threw in a bunch of extras and their customer service has been phenomenal. I am very happy with my purchase.

I believe Pyga is now focusing on the (much larger) international market, which makes sense. But they seem to have forgotten about being good to the local market.

--

See follow up post here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/187015-pyga-arrogance-bad-service/?p=3720941

Edited by Matt
Added follow up link

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. What you have described is contrary to my dealings with them for the past 5 plus years. In fact I was sold on the stage after Patrick offered his bicycle as a demo when I was down in PMB years ago. The bike was collected and dropped the next day. They have always been quick to respond when contacted as well.

Sorry to hear this and their loss. I would say it’s definitely not the feedback you normally hear about Pyga

Most have found them super helpful and keen to get people on their bikes

But you did the right thing and voted with your wallet

Post your new ride in the “boast about your latest purchases” thread

Interesting. They normally have sales guys out there at their preferred LBS allowing guys to ride them. I had offers to try out the Stage and the Alu gravity bike shortly before lockdown. 

Somebody had a bad hair day or the stock is presold and they have no spare bikes to show around.

Where are you located?

Sorry dude. I dont know...... they were very helpful to me up here in Joburg 6 months ago (pre Covid Cr#p). They are next door to you there.

Maybe a happy camper in Durbs will meet you in car park and swap their Stage for you car keys and arrange a test ride......

#askingformynephewonanoilrig

But seriously maybe someone will PM you for a discussion

State your bike size and see what happens, 

He already got another bike as he already mentioned...which is right imo. I agree, vote/speak with your wallet. Also...retail mobu only 2 years away?? By then it will probably be outdated at the pace things move in the cycling industry. People have short memories and 2 years is a long time to keep the hype train stoked.

Wayne...you would never have made it that long? haha

He already got another bike as he already mentioned...which is right imo. I agree, vote/speak with your wallet. Also...retail mobu only 2 years away?? By then it will probably be outdated at the pace things move in the cycling industry. People have short memories and 2 years is a long time to keep the hype train stoked.

1) Yup, annoying

2) Better d@mn well not be. I paid a lot of money for something I was told was (and remains) well on its way. Pyga should stop being so full of it and deliver on their "local" promises! 

I hung in for 20 months - I don’t think their Mobu is that far away and I’m surprised the OP got poor service, very unlike them but he did the right thing and no one should have to beg a brand to accept hard earned cash

I want to echo that my experience with them was less than stellar. Use to own a OneTen and a massively vocal supporter of the bike and the brand. Can attest to getting 9 other riders onto Pyga products.

When my OneTen gave issues, they were completely disinterested to even investigate the problem and provide me with advice on the problem.

Easy solution, bought a BMC.

Wow, I'm also in the "I received only stellar service" corner. When they were still busy building my bike, one of the guys gave me his own bike to try out on the Howick trails. 

Aren't Phil Buys and co already riding the Mobu's? So how can they still be 2 years away from being ready?

I blame the mad surge in demand for bikes since COVID.

Bike demand shot up during covid, no bikes came in from over the waters and that obviously meant local built brand like Pyga was selling off more than usual as they were available and excellent bikes.

and maybe the timing of the OP queries were just bad - but no excuse for crap service especially if it came from senior Pyga members

Hmm I managed to get a stage demo bike to try twice after lockdown in Durban. 

I went through Dylan at The Bike Mech in La Lucia and he made it all happen. 

Even got a custom spray thrown in for free. 

Biased opinion, but here goes:

Call any OEM bike brand and see if you can do a factory visit for a demo bike trail. I don't think many would be able to accommodate you, but rather would put you in touch with a distributor/bike shop.

Via bike shops, I've managed to test ride almost every full-sus Pyga there is (excl Mobu) and it was an simple call and go.

Regarding their actual customer service attitude: Technical feedback has always been no-frills, to the point and more importantly quick, which I find great. 

In person, I've always had a positive welcoming experience.

Once again. Biased Pyga-owning&loving opinion.

Biased opinion, but here goes:

Call any OEM bike brand and see if you can do a factory visit for a demo bike trail. I don't think many would be able to accommodate you, but rather would put you in touch with a distributor/bike shop.

Via bike shops, I've managed to test ride almost every full-sus Pyga there is (excl Mobu) and it was an simple call and go.

Regarding their actual customer service attitude: Technical feedback has always been no-frills, to the point and more importantly quick, which I find great. 

In person, I've always had a positive welcoming experience.

Once again. Biased Pyga-owning&loving opinion.

As former Pyga owner I've only ever had stellar service but the fact is Pyga sell direct to the public and have retail partners rather than traditional stockists

this means you do open yourself up to making visits or at least demo options and in Pygas defence they have been good at this.  And you'd be surprised how may brands will be helpful in this regard as they should be.  For good reason, people are generally quite brand loyal so getting someone to demo your bike could mean that rider end up buying a few over time

The OP didn't get this and is now happily on another brand and this isn't good for Pyga

Edited by Waynemol