Specialized champion ride experience with 5.9 kg S-Works Aethos

News bot

Press release

The creation of our Aethos road bike started with a question: “What if?”

Download attachment: Aethos_Experience_California_8.jpg

What if we built a bike focused around the purest imaginable road riding experience? What if we built a bike to maximize the timeless moments where everything disappears and human and machine become one. We all know these moments, the ones where we lose ourselves in the reverence of dancing up a climb or telepathically carving through a turn, where we feel liberated from the constraints that surround everyday life and the miles just melt into hours.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please Lotto..... Please pick my numbers... That's the only way I will ride this.

I like the explanation of the process.

It is what everyone has been waiting for, serious optimization of the carbon fibre layups.

Edited by Vetplant

The thing about this bike that does it for me, is that you know Specialized. 

You know their bikes are expensive and you know they are all about the marketing.

You also know that no matter how much you want to hate them, that they make some exceptional products.

Sure its not the lightest you can build and you could get the same weight for cheaper, but you are not going to make as complete a package as this bike.

I think its awesome.

For much less, you can build this [which looks pretty much the same] with top spec lightweight carbon goodies, and get it well below 6kg.

https://www.chapter2bikes.com/range/huru/matt-orange

Frame - R60k landed

Gruppo - Sram Red 22 still about the lightest - R30k

Wheels / Bars / stem / saddle and few extra's - R60k

R50k in your pocket for another build :whistling:

but you can't tell your mates on the golf course that you have the most expensive Sworks on your Range Rover

For much less, you can build this [which looks pretty much the same] with top spec lightweight carbon goodies, and get it well below 6kg.

https://www.chapter2bikes.com/range/huru/matt-orange

Frame - R60k landed

Gruppo - Sram Red 22 still about the lightest - R30k

Wheels / Bars / stem / saddle and few extra's - R60k

R50k in your pocket for another build :whistling:

Isn't Chapter a catalogue bike?

I get what you are saying, but weight isn't the only metric that makes this bike 'cool'. 

One thing Spaz do very well is R and D. So their bikes work. Love to hate them, but they have bikes for all price points, most avenues of riding and pretty much all of them flex where they are meant to and don't where they are not supposed to.

One could definitely build a lighter bike. That Cannondale Alu frame built up at around 6kg with all the right bits.

Ride quality is also important, especially when you are paying so much.

I would choose this over a catalogue bike any day of the week. It has literally been designed from the ground up so that the cafe racers and social group riders can brag about their bike.

This bike makes no sense!

It isn't aero, it isn't race legal. It is purely an ego booster/superbike for a mamil.

That is why it pains me to admit that I want one, despite knowing that it will just highlight the lack of schlong in my bibshorts and make me feel like a hero while I climb one of Cape Town many fake hills slowly... But feeling like a hero nonetheless.

Edited by Jewbacca