Bad service lead to frame damage

MalDevs

I recently serviced my Santa Cruz Blur C at a local bike shop. I've been supporting them ever since I started riding.

Today I picked up my bike after they did a full service, pivot, front- and rear shock service. I had the chain, cassette and chainring replaced.

After my first ride with the bike, I noticed that the cranks were sliding horizontally in the botom bracket causing the chainring to scrape against the frame and has now damaged my frame. It has clearly scraped into the carbon.

Is it harsh of me to expect them to repair it?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Norrafok. They should take responsibility. Part of the price of having aoneone work on your bike is the liability that comes along with that.

Especially on a bike like that, mistakes can be made, sure, but they should also then be rectified.

It's going to be tough getting them to pay for the damage to the frame. They will probably argue that you shouldn't have ridden it like that and you should have brought it back to them.

They will argue that if the cranks were sliding enough for the chain ring to hit the frame, it would have been apparent from the onset that there was a problem.

I would still take it up with them though and maybe they will show a bit of goodwill and will repair the damage.

It's going to be tough getting them to pay for the damage to the frame. They will probably argue that you shouldn't have ridden it like that and you should have brought it back to them.

They will argue that if the cranks were sliding enough for the chain ring to hit the frame, it would have been apparent from the onset that there was a problem.

I would still take it up with them though and maybe they will show a bit of goodwill and will repair the damage.

Thats BS.

If it was that noticeable, why did they let the bike leave through the door?

All that work done and no test ride to confirm performance, and if yes, mech didnt pick it up?

Most come from a somewhat attentive and mechanically minded background, but i am always surprised at how little friends know about their bikes, and what noises and loose bits aren't good...

The dude paid the shop to repair and maintain the bike. Its on them to take responsibility for the shoddy work done, no matter the consequence.

Im not fighting you here, obviously. But no one shoild stand for the shop having any leg to stand on in this, unless bikes are checked into the workshop with an assessment, and checked out with the same. Frankly im still shocked that this isnt industry norm with the value bikes have nowadays. It still freaks me out to pop into a shop, drop off a bike worth upwards of 40k, and leave, often without even a slip of paper to confirm.... Nuts!

Not cool man. The shop should own up and take responsibility to have it repaired. In my experience though, it will be an uphill battle. Best of luck with the tremendous frustration that awaits you. Sometimes shops are good okes and sort out these kinds of issues, but mostly you will be met with denial.

Maybe post some pictures of the damage. Always good to get some suggestions from the community on how best to have it repaired, costs, etc. Should help you when dealing with the shop.

geez, cranks sliding in the BB and the LBS did pick that up? 

My LBS, they always ride it so that is a good practice.

But I also ride it immediately on collection, at the shop around the block just to pick up anything. But alas, the issues will more likely surface on your first proper ride.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

You don't really move your feet reft and right when you ride, so I didn't notice it till it was too late.

I'm going to take it up with the shop. In my experience they are great people, so hopefully they will take responsibility for their mistake.

I recently serviced my Santa Cruz Blur C at a local bike shop. I've been supporting them ever since I started riding.

Today I picked up my bike after they did a full service, pivot, front- and rear shock service. I had the chain, cassette and chainring replaced.

After my first ride with the bike, I noticed that the cranks were sliding horizontally in the botom bracket causing the chainring to scrape against the frame and has now damaged my frame. It has clearly scraped into the carbon.

Is it harsh of me to expect them to repair it?

No brainer. Take back!

Thats BS.

If it was that noticeable, why did they let the bike leave through the door?

All that work done and no test ride to confirm performance, and if yes, mech didnt pick it up?

Most come from a somewhat attentive and mechanically minded background, but i am always surprised at how little friends know about their bikes, and what noises and loose bits aren't good...

The dude paid the shop to repair and maintain the bike. Its on them to take responsibility for the shoddy work done, no matter the consequence.

Im not fighting you here, obviously. But no one shoild stand for the shop having any leg to stand on in this, unless bikes are checked into the workshop with an assessment, and checked out with the same. Frankly im still shocked that this isnt industry norm with the value bikes have nowadays. It still freaks me out to pop into a shop, drop off a bike worth upwards of 40k, and leave, often without even a slip of paper to confirm.... Nuts!

I merely stated what the shop's argument will be. I never said whether they were right or wrong.

I've been in this game long enough to realise that shops will never admit to fault and will always try to shift the blame. That was the point I was trying to make.

Most shop's will make you sign a document that you received the bike back in good order. I cannot say if this was done or not, but if the OP did sign such a document, his chances of success are even less.

He is protected by the CPA, which will hold the shop liable for such damages, but it's going to be a fight.

But anyway, this is all speculation, he must approach the bike shop, point out the damage and their bad workmanship that lead to the damage and see what they say.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

You don't really move your feet reft and right when you ride, so I didn't notice it till it was too late.

I'm going to take it up with the shop. In my experience they are great people, so hopefully they will take responsibility for their mistake.

Bigger question would be how extensive will the repairs be and are you comfortable with having a repaired bike going forward.

BB area is quite critical.

When you sell it on it will impact on the resale value, if you are honest and upfront on declaring the repair.

No brainer. Take back!

No brainer from the shop as well.

"The bike was 100% when you took it. You must have done something to it. You can't blame us. If there was something wrong with it, you shouldn't have taken it and paid us."

I am very attentive to any noises, creaks scrapes etc despite being told by my LBS that all MTB's make some noises, to the point I will after that ride immediately attend to a noisy BB etc...

My opinion is that if there is a slight scratch on your frame/chainstay its for the bikeshop to make good...IF however its deeper than that you should have picked it up and immediately stopped riding...cranks sliding is going to be very noticeable in terms of feel but also your gear and chain alignment will be way out so you should have noticed, and before the end of the ride like you said...Kind of like taking your car for a service and they forget to fill the oil but you drive ignoring the oil light and seize the engine...

I think its a 50/50 thing and thats how you need to approach it with the shop.

I am very attentive to any noises, creaks scrapes etc despite being told by my LBS that all MTB's make some noises, to the point I will after that ride immediately attend to a noisy BB etc...

My opinion is that if there is a slight scratch on your frame/chainstay its for the bikeshop to make good...IF however its deeper than that you should have picked it up and immediately stopped riding...cranks sliding is going to be very noticeable in terms of feel but also your gear and chain alignment will be way out so you should have noticed, and before the end of the ride like you said...Kind of like taking your car for a service and they forget to fill the oil but you drive ignoring the oil light and seize the engine...

I think its a 50/50 thing and thats how you need to approach it with the shop.

Come on, it is moutain bike the dude rides there are sounds etc and over time it makes the mark deeper and deeper

Who said he could hear it?

I merely stated what the shop's argument will be. I never said whether they were right or wrong.

I've been in this game long enough to realise that shops will never admit to fault and will always try to shift the blame. That was the point I was trying to make.

Most shop's will make you sign a document that you received the bike back in good order. I cannot say if this was done or not, but if the OP did sign such a document, his chances of success are even less.

He is protected by the CPA, which will hold the shop liable for such damages, but it's going to be a fight.

But anyway, this is all speculation, he must approach the bike shop, point out the damage and their bad workmanship that lead to the damage and see what they say.

Nonsense that they are now going to blame him

He took it to experts who made a hash, they must fix

Yeah i have no quarrel with you... And youre likely right that this will be the response from the shop. Absolutely shouody not be accepted tho