Bad service lead to frame damage

MalDevs

... shops will never admit to fault and will always try to shift the blame.

Unfortunately true for many stores.

I remember having a frame cracked when a front derailleur clamp's height was adjusted and overtightened.

All I got was shrugged shoulders. :(

Edited by Thomo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every now and then your LBS will slip up. I've had the same with mine....they are human after all!! The great thing about an ethical LBS is that they rectify the issue without any questions.....and maybe a free java to apologize for the extra waiting time. Talk to them....matter will be sorted. Or seriously consider changing shops!!

This is why I work on my own bikes.

I spent a fair whack on a complete tool setup. Return on investment has already paid for itself.

For anything I don’t know how to do I can always revert to the Park Tool YouTube channel.

I know not everyone is technically skilled but 90% of things on bike maintenance is fairly simple and straight forward.

This is why I work on my own bikes.

I spent a fair whack on a complete tool setup. Return on investment has already paid for itself.

For anything I don’t know how to do I can always revert to the Park Tool YouTube channel.

I know not everyone is technically skilled but 90% of things on bike maintenance is fairly simple and straight forward.

I ride the bike at speed, nobody but my 2 paws maintain my steed. Sadly I trust nobody but myself in this situation.

I ride the bike at speed, nobody but my 2 paws maintain my steed. Sadly I trust nobody but myself in this situation.

Exactly. If I **** up with maintenance it is for my own account. If a shop ****s up, somehow it is for my account as well. 

At the end of the day I only trust myself. I built my first bike when I was 16 or so. I've been playing mechanic to myself, friends, and family since then and not once have I messed up anything. 

Happy bike, happy me.

I am very attentive to any noises, creaks scrapes etc despite being told by my LBS that all MTB's make some noises, to the point I will after that ride immediately attend to a noisy BB etc...

My opinion is that if there is a slight scratch on your frame/chainstay its for the bikeshop to make good...IF however its deeper than that you should have picked it up and immediately stopped riding...cranks sliding is going to be very noticeable in terms of feel but also your gear and chain alignment will be way out so you should have noticed, and before the end of the ride like you said...Kind of like taking your car for a service and they forget to fill the oil but you drive ignoring the oil light and seize the engine...

I think its a 50/50 thing and thats how you need to approach it with the shop.

I rode it on a very technical trail, so there are a lot of noise and your focus is on where you're going, so unfortunately I couldn't hear it.

Edited by MalDevs

I took the bike back and as soon as I showed them the lateral movement they panicked and where genuinely shocked.

They barely got the chainring off to see the damage, apologized and offered to have it repaired.

It's a great shop, but this has shaken my faith in them.

This is me and any car I drive too, expecially brakes and suspension.

I took the bike back and as soon as I showed them the lateral movement they panicked and where genuinely shocked.

They barely got the chainring off to see the damage, apologized and offered to have it repaired.

Good overall result.

A shop that owns up to something is a keeper.  Jip, they should have checked the bolts, they should have done a test ride, etc etc .... fact is, somehow they made a mistake.  Let them fix it, and build on this relationship.

I also do most of my maintenance myself.  Frankly I KNOW Mark does it 10 times better than me, which is why my bike goes to him once a year for a full service.  Only reason I do most of the small stuff myself is it is my "me time" in the garage .... just relaxes me after long hours with architects and contractors ....  (in fairness, I dealt with about 10 different architects this week ... just the ONE that drives me to drinking my bath water ...)

I am very attentive to any noises, creaks scrapes etc despite being told by my LBS that all MTB's make some noises, to the point I will after that ride immediately attend to a noisy BB etc...

My opinion is that if there is a slight scratch on your frame/chainstay its for the bikeshop to make good...IF however its deeper than that you should have picked it up and immediately stopped riding

I think its a 50/50 thing and thats how you need to approach it with the shop.

Hogwash.

The bikeshop holds itself out to be experts in the filed of bicycle maintenance and that is the standard they will be held to.

If the bike shop was negligent, they are required to make good your financial damage. 

Edited by eddy

they look to be doing all the right things!

What kind of service was your bike in for?

Just asking because I’ve seen occasions where customer comes in asking for a brake bleed only to come back later pissed off because they are braking spokes threatening social media etc.

if they offered to repair and apologised without any hassles you have a winner! Don't go anywhere else.

It's going to be tough getting them to pay for the damage to the frame. They will probably argue that you shouldn't have ridden it like that and you should have brought it back to them.

They will argue that if the cranks were sliding enough for the chain ring to hit the frame, it would have been apparent from the onset that there was a problem.

I would still take it up with them though and maybe they will show a bit of goodwill and will repair the damage.

I agree 100%. If its making unusual sounds, stop and push it home. Consequential damage is usually your problem

Good news, but one could argue that you were lucky. I know of other people where the LBS simply walks away from the issues. Some may disagree...that's why one works on your own bike rather....The Mechanic is NOT the one that spent R80k+ on the bike, the owner has and that feeling of ownership, dedication and meticulous care may just not be the same as the guy whom forked out the R80k for his bike. Oh and for those that say they don't know how to work on a bike...maybe its time to work on a new skill...... :thumbup:   

Edited by RomP