Rotator Cuff Repair

Like Fanie said, what does the Dr say?

When I had my shoulder done, even with the meds the first week I was in a lot of pain so IDT was not even an option. Part of my rehab with the biokinetisist was on a wattbike but I did physio before bio.

You are lucky its only rotator cuff...I have to go for Labrum tear. not looking forward to it.

Shoulder or hip?

I think the Doc will only know ones he did the fix. I had my left shoulder done in 2018 but that was more serious screws where put into the Acromion, with part of the screw head protruding against my skin, that was very sore and I was stuffed for quite some time. Fortunately the right shoulder , that was done 17 years ago , just need repairs on some tendons. Not looking forward to this sh#t again!!!

I think the Doc will only know ones he did the fix. I had my left shoulder done in 2018 but that was more serious screws where put into the Acromion, with part of the screw head protruding against my skin, that was very sore and I was stuffed for quite some time. Fortunately the right shoulder , that was done 17 years ago , just need repairs on some tendons. Not looking forward to this sh#t again!!!

So glad to hear someone else out there knows what the acromion process is!  :thumbup:  :D

I broke mine about 18 months ago and had the same repair with a pair of screws long enough to fix the neck of a giraffe. Both the surgery, recovery and the rehab of that fracture is one of the worst that can be done to your shoulder. Altogether it took me longer than a year to gain enough strength to ride pretty much like normal. The aftermath of a rotator cuff repair should be much simpler and less of an upheaval. Better listen to your surgeon though. My guess is just a guess from breaking things a good few times. He'll probably be happy with you riding a gym bike or an IDT within 2 weeks, but not riding outside mtb or road for 6 to 8 weeks. If it is a big repair he may insist on a fair amount of physio also before resuming riding normally. The danger of riding too soon is that the tendons are stiff and mobility is limited early on. If you then crash you are more prone to tear them again and worse. Short answer? Listen to the orthopod, even if it isn't something you want to hear. Interestingly enough, mine recommended swimming ("You know, you cannot fall off your swimming pool and break it again"   ;) ) and paddling to strengthen the shoulder before cycling. I found the paddling very beneficial. I also swear by a good physio and after that a biokineticist. Best of luck and heal up quickly :thumbup:

Edited by DJR

So glad to hear someone else out there knows what the acromion process is! :thumbup: :D

I broke mine about 18 months ago and had the same repair with a pair of screws long enough to fix the neck of a giraffe. Both the surgery, recovery and the rehab of that fracture is one of the worst that can be done to your shoulder. Altogether it took me longer than a year to gain enough strength to ride pretty much like normal. The aftermath of a rotator cuff repair should be much simpler and less of an upheaval. Better listen to your surgeon though. My guess is just a guess from breaking things a good few times. He'll probably be happy with you riding a gym bike or an IDT within 2 weeks, but not riding outside mtb or road for 6 to 8 weeks. If it is a big repair he may insist on a fair amount of physio also before resuming riding normally. The danger of riding too soon is that the tendons are stiff and mobility is limited early on. If you then crash you are more prone to tear them again and worse. Short answer? Listen to the orthopod, even if it isn't something you want to hear. Interestingly enough, mine recommended swimming ("You know, you cannot fall off your swimming pool and break it again" ;) ) and paddling to strengthen the shoulder before cycling. I found the paddling very beneficial. I also swear by a good physio and after that a biokineticist. Best of luck and heal up quickly :thumbup:

Got that t-shirt too, and can confirm, pain wise it was a real beech. For close to 3 years I had discomfort/pain and unable to sleep on my sides.

Slightly different op, but the doc cut off some bones, added a few screws, and gave me new ligaments that he took out of my forearm.

A lot of shoulder training, 2 dislocations later, and I’m finally ok. Although I still struggle with freestyle swimming.

So glad to hear someone else out there knows what the acromion process is!  :thumbup:  :D

I broke mine about 18 months ago and had the same repair with a pair of screws long enough to fix the neck of a giraffe. Both the surgery, recovery and the rehab of that fracture is one of the worst that can be done to your shoulder. Altogether it took me longer than a year to gain enough strength to ride pretty much like normal. The aftermath of a rotator cuff repair should be much simpler and less of an upheaval. Better listen to your surgeon though. My guess is just a guess from breaking things a good few times. He'll probably be happy with you riding a gym bike or an IDT within 2 weeks, but not riding outside mtb or road for 6 to 8 weeks. If it is a big repair he may insist on a fair amount of physio also before resuming riding normally. The danger of riding too soon is that the tendons are stiff and mobility is limited early on. If you then crash you are more prone to tear them again and worse. Short answer? Listen to the orthopod, even if it isn't something you want to hear. Interestingly enough, mine recommended swimming ("You know, you cannot fall off your swimming pool and break it again"   ;) ) and paddling to strengthen the shoulder before cycling. I found the paddling very beneficial. I also swear by a good physio and after that a biokineticist. Best of luck and heal up quickly :thumbup:

My first op 17 years ago they nearly cut right around the shoulder open. That took a year to recover properly and i mean properly. The exercise directly after the op nearly made me fainted every time. The pain meds via an IV caused my diaphragm, to relax to much which interfered with my breathing. They then stopped the IV and gave me pain meds via injections....my backside looked liked a dart board afterwards. The last op in 2018 with the new technology was much smoother but the shoulder is not 100% yet and NO SWIMMING OR ROWING allowed. I must not use weights to get the shoulder stronger but those rubber bands...wish me luck!!

My first op 17 years ago they nearly cut right around the shoulder open. That took a year to recover properly and i mean properly. The exercise directly after the op nearly made me fainted every time. The pain meds via an IV caused my diaphragm, to relax to much which interfered with my breathing. They then stopped the IV and gave me pain meds via injections....my backside looked liked a dart board afterwards. The last op in 2018 with the new technology was much smoother but the shoulder is not 100% yet and NO SWIMMING OR ROWING allowed. I must not use weights to get the shoulder stronger but those rubber bands...wish me luck!!

Yep, those %$#@!&*^ rubber bands. They look innocent, but they are mean *&^%$E#@1. They do WORK though. :D

Got that t-shirt too, and can confirm, pain wise it was a real beech. For close to 3 years I had discomfort/pain and unable to sleep on my sides.

Slightly different op, but the doc cut off some bones, added a few screws, and gave me new ligaments that he took out of my forearm.

A lot of shoulder training, 2 dislocations later, and I’m finally ok. Although I still struggle with freestyle swimming.

My first op was a nasty clavicle fracture about 10 years ago and that was repaired with a rather long plate and a handful of screws. The second time the clavicle was too strong and the Acromion process broke off the scapula taking some ligaments with it, but not damaging any nerves. That was about 18 months ago. When he repaired that with those long screws he also cut about 15 mm off the outer end of my clavicle. My one shouder is permanently about that much narrower, but it is not noticeable. He said that it would allow for more freedom and range of movement of the whole shoulder joint. It also left the rest of the clavicle completely covered with titanium, so that end at least won't break off if ever I did another shoulder plant. (Which I swear I am NOT planning!)

This far I must say I am very pleasantly surprised by how well everything is working. It was a long healing and rehab process but I can pretty much do everything I could before. My range of movement and flexibility is near 100%. Just the strength is perhaps not quite the same, especially with heavy lifting high and forward. Swimming is fine although the shoulder clicks and clacks, it is not painful. OK, if it is really cold and the cold fronts are rolling in, I feel like a middle aged guy with the shoulder of an old guy, but hey, the Voltaren I occasionally take for my other pains sommer put the shoulder right also. 

Edited by DJR

I was very surprised when my guy suggested swimming and paddling as good exercises. I suppose no two fractures and repairs are the same. What is good for one can harm the other.

I truly DO wish you all the luck!

Edited by DJR

I was very surprised when my guy suggested swimming and paddling as good exercises. I suppose no two fractures and repairs are the same. What is good for one can harm the other.

I truly DO with you all the luck!

Thanks DJR, the timing is also bad, i am getting stronger on the bike etc, so i hope that i will bounce back stronger from this one. Roll on Monday!!