Nokka

It's fun to create new words. 

Gee ons asseblief 'n voorsmakie en wys ons 'n paar van jou vertalings

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always a challenge to be a small language in a big English world. New things quickly get an English name, and it gets used by a gazillion people, so it gets accepted as the norm. We just have to deal with that, and work around it. Also, we do have our peculiarities that doesn't always help - for instance, to stitch words together (where English prefer seperate words). But, Dutch and German have the same problem, and they accept that. As a journo, that's the cool thing for me: Language is a living thing. Here we sit and actively create new words that will end up canonized in dictionaries.

When I planned the magazine, I used an American and a German cycling magazine as "bases" or refence material. (Thanks to my Afrikaans, I can easily read German) Ze Germans use long words, and they translate everything. The Dutch less so, the French also translate everything. It's fun to create new words. We looked at what the Belgians and Dutch do with translations, and made a list of our own new words. Here's the thing: We don't prescribe. Language has different registers. Dominee Afrikaans, kispak Afrikaans, braai Afrikaans. Ek skryf onberispelik in die tydskrif, maar op die Hub gooi ek hom soos ek wil. Braai Afrikaans.

Ek sal altyd die storie onthou wat my hoërskool Afrikaans onderwyser ons vertel het oor die redaskie span van 'n nasionale koerant wat die Afrikaanse woord vir Paddle Ski moes uit dink om 'n voorblad foto te ondersteun. Die woord wat hulle op besluit het: "skoepgolf"

Ons het almal gedink dis afskuwelik, maar kon nie rêrig aan 'n beter alternatief dink nie.

Mnr Du Plessis, een van daai onderwysers wat moeiteloos kinders kon inspireer.

It's always a challenge to be a small language in a big English world. New things quickly get an English name, and it gets used by a gazillion people, so it gets accepted as the norm. We just have to deal with that, and work around it. Also, we do have our peculiarities that doesn't always help - for instance, to stitch words together (where English prefer seperate words). But, Dutch and German have the same problem, and they accept that. As a journo, that's the cool thing for me: Language is a living thing. Here we sit and actively create new words that will end up canonized in dictionaries. 

When I planned the magazine, I used an American and a German cycling magazine as "bases" or refence material. (Thanks to my Afrikaans, I can easily read German) Ze Germans use long words, and they translate everything. The Dutch less so, the French also translate everything. It's fun to create new words. We looked at what the Belgians and Dutch do with translations, and made a list of our own new words. Here's the thing: We don't prescribe. Language has different registers. Dominee Afrikaans, kispak Afrikaans, braai Afrikaans. Ek skryf onberispelik in die tydskrif, maar op die Hub gooi ek hom soos ek wil. Braai Afrikaans. 

Daar was vroeër 'n Oom hier wat soms 'n bietjie omstrede was.

Hy het tandems gery, hy het paaie gebou en sy uiterste opinies gehad.

Vir hom, hierdie plek was "die wielnaaf"

*ps. i wrote this in british and google translated it into die moedertaal. it works pretty well, if I say so myself.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. The language shouldn't be such a big issue.

Ek's veel meer geïnteresseerd in watter onderwerpe mense in belang stel om oor te lees. (En nou gaan ek weer na my braai-Afrikaans oorslaan) Soek mense escapism, travel stories, of how to's en gear guides?

Jy sal beslis jou eie ervarings en foto's met ons kan deel. Dit sal great wees. Ek het reeds twee sulke travel stories ontvang.

Met die tydskrif, ek wou wegkom van die geykte race report en maagoefeninge. Ja, daar is 'n ton gear guides in. Maar laat weet ons of jy meer of minder hiervan wil sien.

Ek hou persoonlik ook baie van onderhoude, die profiel storie. Dis altyd leersaam en interessant. Ons het drie profiel stories in: Ek het self met Jenny Tough en Riaan Manser gepraat, en daar is nog een met die fietsbouer Dave Mercer.

Ons Afrikaans is onberispelik. Ons het nuwe woorde geskep, en die styl wissel van formeel en saaklik tot lig en gemaklik.

Maar koop dit en lees dit, en skryf vir ons wat werk vir jou en waar het ons ratte geglip. En vertel jou vrinne by die braai ook van ons nuwe lekkerlees tydskrif.

Dankie nou kan ek ook bietjie Afrikaans skryf....ek sukkel om my soms in Engels uit te druk...limited vocabulary etc.As julle oor n nuwe plek wil skryf, moet julle Addo toe kom na Haytersdale, hulle is besig om n hele nuwe kamp terrein op te rig vir fietsryers, stappers en drawwers. Plek gaan baie lekker wees met baie single trek om te ry!!! Just for the English die hards.. Robbie and Trevor is building new facilities( over night tents etc) at Hayterdale to cater for more than just cycling. Edited by Help.Me.

Easy start with the 3 and 4 letter words and work you way up

It's the long standing traveler's belief that as long as you can say Beer, pizza, please and f... you! in the local vernacular you can go a long way. 

Absoluut onnodig. ;)

Alle dienspligteges het vinning die afrikaanse woorde vir "browns", "PT", "webbing" en "boots" geleer.

Dit was "browns", "PT", "webbing" en "boots".

En die souties het die engelse woorde vir "varkpan", "staaldak" en "opfok" geleer.

DIt was immers.....

Decades ago my father tried to play gholf in Afrikaans. He gave up after a while when he overheard the caddies talk about the crazy guy who made up weird names for gholf things. So, a setstok became a putter again and they all lived happily even after. :D

Decades ago my father tried to play gholf in Afrikaans. He gave up after a while when he overheard the caddies talk about the crazy guy who made up weird names for gholf things. So, a setstok became a putter again and they all lived happily even after. :D

There's one golf word that is the same in Eng and Afr  Normally uttered when you hit the ball in the water or especially after a 3-put. 

F@@@@@k!!!!

It's the long standing traveler's belief that as long as you can say Beer, pizza, please and f... you! in the local vernacular you can go a long way. 

Yebo

Spanish

Portuguese

French 

Italian

Beer in Russian is called vodka.

Awesome, will follow with interest!
Wish you guys all the best, it's a tough industry for sure - but it's also extremely fulfilling work, hope you can crack the balance!

Gooi mielies  :thumbup:

Was looking for this yesterday and today and none of the retailer's had the magazine in stock. Is dit al beskikbaar, en indien, waar kan ek hom koop?

Was looking for this yesterday and today and none of the retailer's had the magazine in stock. Is dit al beskikbaar, en indien, waar kan ek hom koop?

Soek ook nou al 'n week vir die tydskrif. Maar nog net die PnP en Woolies probeer.

Noted. PnP, CNA, LBS, where to buy it on Atlantic Seaboard, got an op on Wednesday, would make for good post-op reading...

Jaaaaa!!!! Dit is fantasties, sal verseker ondersteun en julle is reg met die onderwerpe, moeg van dieselfde oor en oor lees in sommige van die huidige tydskrifte.

Ek persoonlik sal dit met digitaal verkies.

Alle voorspoed.

PS - kan ek op ‘n voorblad wees :-) :-) :-)