So who has seen this? Rapport Toer/Tour 2021 Paarl

mecheng89

I would actually really like an opportunity to do a proper TT, but would want to be properly kitted out for it... 
My normal road kit, and my road bike with clip on bars doesn't sound like fun...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeaaaah not sure that many people will do it with a proper TT bike, most guys don't have one except those who do triathlon. clip on aero bars are already a good start, see if you can maybe borrow a aero helmet I'm sure a tight top won't make much of a difference compared to an aero suit if you're riding a normal bike with 30/40mm sections.

I know nothing, but I would assume the priorities must be in this order

- body position (clip on bars, a bit of work on the position)

- helmet

- deep sections / disc rear wheel

- aero bike

- tri suit

Edited by Jbr

Just now, Jbr said:

yeaaaah not sure that many people will do it with a proper TT bike, most guys don't have one except those who do triathlon. clip on aero bars are already a good start, see if you can maybe borrow a aero helmet I'm sure a tight top won't make much of a difference compared to an aero suit if you're riding a normal bike with 300/400mm sections

You'd think that the organisers would have been creative, and banned TT bikes and clip on bars for the TT. Only skinsuits and aero helmets allowed. Instant level playing field.

15 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

You'd think that the organisers would have been creative, and banned TT bikes and clip on bars for the TT. Only skinsuits and aero helmets allowed. Instant level playing field.

I LOVE that idea.
But only because I don't have a TT bike

For me they can even throw in a hill climb up Taalmonument instead of the TT (on a road bike).
If they want to do TT, do a prologue the night before the first day.........just for starters orders and jersey wearers like back in the day with the Giro del Capo.

Back in 2007 prologue the evening before stage 1

Proloque_16.JPG

Edited by Spinnekop

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

yeaaaah not sure that many people will do it with a proper TT bike, most guys don't have one except those who do triathlon. clip on aero bars are already a good start, see if you can maybe borrow a aero helmet I'm sure a tight top won't make much of a difference compared to an aero suit if you're riding a normal bike with 300/400mm sections.  ????  ARE THESE EVEN LEGAL!!

I know nothing, but I would assume the priorities must be in this order

- body position (clip on bars, a bit of work on the position)

- helmet

-  tri suit

-deep sections / disc rear wheel

-aero bike

Fixed

anything that fits on your body is the biggest contributor to drag

You can ride a fast TT on a road bike with a clip on bar, aero helmet and skin suit

Aero disc wheel at the back helps a lot

the last thing you need is an aero TT bike that you don't ride often (except if your name is Mathieu van der Poel)

do I have this correct then?

march 2020 ASG organise the tour of goodhope...

october 2020 Hectic promotions advertise rapport race for paarl mar 2021

feb 2021 - event moved to later date

may 2021 - event moved to mar 2022

aug 2021 - event cancelled indefinitely

sep 2021 - new event Tour du Cap announced. for dec 2021

The whole time the organiser/ race director is the same guy for all these events?

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

if you replace a TT by a hill climb challenge it doesn't make it more fair, not all of us weigh 65kg ;)

but I like the idea of banning TT bikes though

Ya that is flippen heavy! I want a hillclimb!

3 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

The whole time the organiser/ race director is the same guy for all these events?

Are Hectic Promotions and De Villiers events the same? Did not realize

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

As wondering when this was going to be spotted.hence I won’t be entering 

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Why is it a reason not to enter?

The first change was a rebranding attempt by Rapport.
Their requirements dictated postponements and ultimately cancellation.

The latest change is the organisers going back to a locally focused event that actually can still be held this year without Rapport on-board.

Unless you have issues with Wynand / Hectic, then I think it's quite commendable that they got this offering on the table.

21 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

at least he is putting his name on the door now. well done if he can pull it off.

incidentally they should probably take the website down fully. just putting "cancelled due to covid" on the frontpage is a half job

http://rapporttour.co.za/the-program-starting-times/

13 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Why is it a reason not to enter?

The first change was a rebranding attempt by Rapport.
Their requirements dictated postponements and ultimately cancellation.

The latest change is the organisers going back to a locally focused event that actually can still be held this year without Rapport on-board.

Unless you have issues with Wynand / Hectic, then I think it's quite commendable that they got this offering on the table.

Why does it always boil down to whether there's a personal issue with the organisers.  I have zero issues with the organiser on a personal level. This event has tried to get off the ground so many times but no luck. I got entry fee back  so hence nothing personal but nothing has been delivered so trust in the ability to deliver the event is at an all time low. I'll wait and see. Tour de Boland 100miler is the acid test. If they pull that off well then I'll likely enter

8 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Why does it always boil down to whether there's a personal issue with the organisers.  I have zero issues with the organiser on a personal level. This event has tried to get off the ground so many times but no luck. I got entry fee back  so hence nothing personal but nothing has been delivered so trust in the ability to deliver the event is at an all time low. I'll wait and see. Tour de Boland 100miler is the acid test. If they pull that off well then I'll likely enter

I never said personal issue with organiser, just issue with organiser, which you do have. I suppose not trusting that the organisers can pull it off is fair enough.

You said “unless you have issues with Wynand/hectic….”

you called him out by name suggesting an issue with him singularly which I don’t have.