What makes you want to ride?

Jurgens Smit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2c... 

If you only get enjoyment out of being at the sharp end, then train as much as you can to get there. You know what it takes as you've been there.

if you can't manage to schedule that amount of time/effort investment in cycling, then the only options you have are to find enjoyment despite being at the cycling sharp end, or being satisfied that if you can't be at the sharp end, you won't cycle at all.

<find/replace cycling with any activity/past-time>

I ride because I love bicycles and I love being outdoors escaping the world.  This has to be  ground zero of every rider including the guys winning the Grand tours - you have to like riding bikes at any pace.

The competitive part is an extra motivation for some and completely part of many cyclists world but it really can't be the foundation.

So my 2c is get a cheap roadbike and an IDT - then you can race people and be competitive - you should be able to get this done for 20k.  I can make you fit, get more hours in than proper riding and you can scratch that competitive itch.  For me it would be awful but sounds like it could work for you

In a sense I agree with your first 2 points.

I just never really liked the riding bit outside of the races.

There were really spectacular moments, like my last CTCT I did where it was purely to enjoy the ride and take in the sights. That was really something special.

The rest of the day-day (outdoors) riding just doesn't do anything for me other than get me ready for either a race goal, or as stress relief. The training side of things with structured sessions was really enjoyable bc it's the same as the pain from a really hard gym session. Which for some reason I love.

In the end that is what motivates me, the competitiveness of seeing someone better than you, training your arse off, and still getting beaten by them the next time you meet :D.

I'm still deciding, because obv it's a lot of money to spend on something that might just make me say nope. But I was thinking about looking at a bike in the 20k price bracket and then a kickr or something similar to that.

Cool thread - I have a lot of sympathy with the OP. I just don't like cycling enough to get my lazy ass out of bed or off the couch to go cycle just because it's fun.

My motivation is that at my age if I don't cycle I get fat, unfit & unhealthy. I like to have that extra beer and pack of chips and get away with it. And I like running & gym even less so I stick with cycling.

I find that if I entered for a specific event with goals to aim I'm good at motivating myself to keep training to reach that goal, my brain is just wired that way. With nothing specific to train for I end up doing other non-cycling stuff.

Hey All,

I've been off the bike for super long and recently watching the tour and all the other racing has started that itch again.

I stopped cycling in 2018 after catching pneumonia, spending 2 weeks in the hospital and getting sick again every time I started training. Eventually it got to the point where I lost the little bit of fitness I had and just got over it and sold my bikes.

I'm considering starting again, but I don't know why I want to. I get competitive and want to push myself to see where my limit is, but the commitment that took while I was doing it just isn't possible for me right now.

With studying, work and my relationship already taking the majority of my time, I don't see myself committing to 15-20hrs a week again.

I've never found cycling and training fun, for me the racing and trying to see how close to the sharp end of the pack I could get was the fun bit.

My biggest uncertainty at this stage is firstly cost, I'll need to justify dropping a huge load of cash to buy a bike and trainer (IDT suits my lifestyle a little bit better than going out) as well as all the other gear.

So my question is, for the weekend warriors and the more serious guys, what makes you want to ride?

I've been fit most of my life. Slipped into a health and fitness hole after I got married. Gained about 13kg over 4 years. Walked past the mirror one day and got the fright of my life. My nick name should have been "Hindenberg".

that was a the first spark. A few weeks later the CTCT  came past my house and i decided to spectate. Got up at 6h30 am and walked to main rad to watch the guys come past. By 7am I'd made up my mind. I didn't just make up my mind I went for a ride. It was hard, I got sick. but I rode. Then a friend of a friend asked me to ride W2W with him. Bug could not be removed anylonger. I've lost 17Kg since then and love my cycling.

Why is cycling better than going to the gym, taking a jog or any other fitness hobby.

I prefer it because it takes me places and doesn't negatively impact my bodylike running does

And lastly, what keeps you motivated?

getting fat again. So I enjoy my racing even if I'm not at my best at the moment. The process of working out what works and what doesn't keeps my motivation to improve high

Cool thread - I have a lot of sympathy with the OP. I just don't like cycling enough to get my lazy ass out of bed or off the couch to go cycle just because it's fun.

My motivation is that at my age if I don't cycle I get fat, unfit & unhealthy. I like to have that extra beer and pack of chips and get away with it. And I like running & gym even less so I stick with cycling.

I find that if I entered for a specific event with goals to aim I'm good at motivating myself to keep training to reach that goal, my brain is just wired that way. With nothing specific to train for I end up doing other non-cycling stuff.

Beer and chips - I'm in your camp there. Gym - I hate it.

I love being out on the MTB with mates, but also alone, as far away from people / traffic as possible. I don't race and so I don't train to race. I only 'train' to get fitter so that I can enjoy my riding more. And drink more beer.

Cycling the only sport I am (and ever have been) good at. Everything else sucks. 

I ride because it is the best thing you can do for my mental and physical health. It is also a low impact sport so it's a lot kinder on my body that running for example. 

I also ride because I way overspent on my bike and I have to justify owning it. 

So my question is, for the weekend warriors and the more serious guys, what makes you want to ride?

Its something to do in a small town with limited options for keeping busy/active/mentally stable

Why is cycling better than going to the gym, taking a jog or any other fitness hobby.

I can kit up and just go without having to pack a bag, drive to gym etc...

And lastly, what keeps you motivated?

I enjoy it....and its an activity you can do on your own or as a group....

I used to play club cricket until about 4 years ago when I just completely lost all motivation to continue.

It also takes up your whole Saturday and any weekend plans to go away, etc.

Gym gets really boring and monotonous after a while, although I'll admit the girls at the gym keep me coming back again.

As mentioned by some other guys above, all of us cycle because we like being active and we like being outdoors. Some are competitive and need to push, whereas others can just do a ride around the block.

Cycling is just lekker.

I am also a very competitive person, started feeling a bit of burnout about 2 years ago from constantly trying to push myself a bit harder and improve my times, etc.

Then I started getting my fiancee into cycling and been doing rides with her mostly over the last 2 years and it has completely reignited my love for the sport.

Nothing better than a weekend away and taking your bikes with...

Look there is definitely the not getting fat(ter) side to my cycling.  And I enjoy the odd event and I try really hard and put in some training.  My results however are directly in proportion to my training methods and talent.  I'm at the sharp end of the midpackers and that's because I just like riding my bike.  So my 3 hours equate to fast guys 1 hour.  I ride the hils in from of me and I don't do things like repeats or have a clue what FTP actually stands for.  Watts are electricity related in my life when I'm counting them to make sure my solar system can cope

So I guess I'll modify what motivates me.  I love riding, I love bikes.  I love beer, I love wine, I love cheese and cooking is a serious passion.  

The above have a relationship that keeps me riding

The OP seems to love the challenge or competition and training is the necessary evil that makes him competitive so I though for a person like that the IDT is the way to make it more enjoyable because you can race daily from what I gather.  And his budget gets him a nice bike and trainer

EDIT - not really sure why I replied to your post - I think I was thinking about beer and chips and not concentrating

Edited by Waynemol

Cycling the only sport I am (and ever have been) good at. Everything else sucks. 

I ride because it is the best thing you can do for my mental and physical health. It is also a low impact sport so it's a lot kinder on my body that running for example. 

I also ride because I way overspent on my bike and I have to justify owning it. 

:whistling:  hahahhaa

I ride MTB as its an awesome way to de stress, unwind and take in the beauty that our country have on  offer.

the thrill of descending is an awesome rush and just pumps that happy drugs through the body

I find it much easier on the body than the marathon training i usually do- however does cost alot more than running and doesnt get rid of the fat as fast as running does.

to the OP, have you tried MTB ?

Maybe that will serve you better, rent a bike and go enjoy some offroad scenery. There's definitely alot more to see in the bush.