mecheng89

Good morning Hubbers!

Been looking at getting a smart scale, but there are plenty out there ATM. 

My 2 main interests are the Huawei AH100 and Garmin Index. 

Anyone got any experience with these scales, or any other, and can make recommendations?

Thanks! 

I've had the Garmin Smart Scale since they came out. Picked one up in the states long before they were available in SA.

Basically is is a scale and it does what its supposed to do. It syncs with my wifi first time every time (never had any issues, but i have seen a lot of complaints about the wifi connection on forums) and it uploads my data into Garmin Connect. Works well for us as my wife and I only use Garmin watches, cycling computers etc so it fits in well and adds value within that ecosystem.

I see that they have just launched the Smart Scale 2, DC Rainmaker has a good review online, but the colour screen and weather app isnt going to to make me rush out and upgrade. Im very happy with mine as us and ill use it till it dies.

They unfortunately are not cheap, so unless you have a number of Garmin products and it can integrate into that system it may be better going for a cheaper option as the data they provide is all the same, it just depends what platform you want it saved on.

I've had the Garmin Smart Scale since they came out. Picked one up in the states long before they were available in SA.

Basically is is a scale and it does what its supposed to do. It syncs with my wifi first time every time (never had any issues, but i have seen a lot of complaints about the wifi connection on forums) and it uploads my data into Garmin Connect. Works well for us as my wife and I only use Garmin watches, cycling computers etc so it fits in well and adds value within that ecosystem.

I see that they have just launched the Smart Scale 2, DC Rainmaker has a good review online, but the colour screen and weather app isnt going to to make me rush out and upgrade. Im very happy with mine as us and ill use it till it dies.

They unfortunately are not cheap, so unless you have a number of Garmin products and it can integrate into that system it may be better going for a cheaper option as the data they provide is all the same, it just depends what platform you want it saved on.

Thanks for that.

Ja, the Wifi complaint and price were my 2 main worries.

I read the review on the S2, it seems mostly an improvement on software. And running on AAAs instead of AAs.

The battery life is very good. We probably change them every 10 months or so, and thats with a daily weight in for each of us.

The one thing that irritates us, my wife especially, is that the kids jump on and then weight themselves. The domestic has also done it on occasion and then for some reason they manage to override the ?? on the screen and save the stats under one of our profiles. And you normally only notice the next day as when you stand on it it doesn't recognize your weight and associate it with your profile, so then its then a manual process of going into the app, deleting that weight in, letting the whole system sync and then getting back on so that when you weight yourself it once again can associate your weight with your profile, and then save it accordingly. Bit of a chore but its maybe 2 or 3 times a year so not that much of a deal.

I've had the Huawei for about a year and it's worked well.

The only thing that bothers me about this scale is the inability to share and backup the data.

Huawei offer no way to do this as far as I have been able to find. Linking to Garmin, Strava or MyFitnessPal for example is not possible. Once you've used the scale, you need to manually enter the data into other platforms. There appears to be numerous calls for this feature on Huawei support forums, but they don't bother to even respond.

Also, I have not found a way to backup/preserve historical data. When I changed phones, I lost all previous data (and I tried to backup before moving to new device incl. odd apps like Helium). There is no ability to backup data (without being rooted on Android - which I never tried) and even though you login/need an account to use their scale app, even that does not retain data. So dare you need to wipe or change your phone, cheerio to all your previous scale data.

If I had known the above before hand, I would have bought something else.

The Garmin Index Smart Scale had a very bad reputation with incorrect body fat readings. I saw the review of the second version of the Garmin scale this week and I'll consider getting this when it's released here. My wife and I both have Fenix 6 watches, the scale will be a good addition.

Ok - this is something that I have spent a lot of time on.

Between your two choices, the Garmin would win. But to throw a 3rd one in the mix check out the InBody scale.

I own the big Inbody 570 and if the technology in the home scale is anything close to the big one, its a game changer. They have many patents on BEI technology and are well worth a look (budget dependant)

I have a withings Body+ scale for about 2 years now.  I upload the data to Golden Cheetah.  I also sync to myfitnesspal which then syncs to Garmin Connect and Trainingpeaks

• 11 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, mecheng89 said:

Good morning Hubbers!

Anyone got any experience with these scales, or any other, and can make recommendations?

Thanks! 

Thanks for your interest. i recommend you to choose huawei smart scale it is best i am working for last 7 months.

Edited by Muhammad Ibrahim

On 10/18/2020 at 7:21 AM, mecheng89 said:

Good morning Hubbers!

Thanks! 

I just want a smart scale that automatically updates my weight across Garmin Connect, Strava, Zwift and Training Peaks. 

And while we at it, update my FTP and HR Threshold across all those platforms too

15 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

I just want a smart scale that automatically updates my weight across Garmin Connect, Strava, Zwift and Training Peaks. 

And while we at it, update my FTP and HR Threshold across all those platforms too

You want a PA